Baseball Hack

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Judge Hughes has set Christopher Correa's sentence at 46 months.</p>— David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="

">July 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Ex-Cardinals-exec-to-be-sentenced-in-Astros-8383475.php

He could have gone 47.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! I expected a glorified slap on the wrist. That is most definitely not a glorified slap on the wrist. Ouch.

I was wrong, he could have gotten 5 years.

But based on Hilder's knowledge of federal sentencing formulas, he predicted the former Cardinals executive will face a sentence of 36 to 47 months.

"He is looking at real time," Hilder said.

Correa faces a maximum penalty of not more than five years in federal prison and a maximum fine of $250,000 on each of five felony counts to which he pleaded guilty. Prosecutors agreed the sentences will be served concurrently, and Correa must pay more than $279,000 in restitution.

Hilder's sentencing estimate is based on a points system that takes into account such factors as criminal history, the level of sophistication involved in the offense, and the amount of monetary damages.

After the punishment Boston got, you almost have to take away the Cardinal's 2017 draft and intl signing period. Boston broke rules, the Cardinals committed a felony.

I don't think a Federal law being violated should be a factor in the punishment.

Legal system handled that aspect of it.

I don't think a Federal law being violated should be a factor in the punishment.

Legal system handled that aspect of it.

Certainly not. David Ortiz broke several Federal Drug laws and was never prosecuted. He was protected under the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and it was left at that. MLB never shared their information with a grand jury or prosecutors office.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you don't think players who serve time or are convicted of anything should serve any time of extra suspension when back?

I think you act upon what they did and how it impacted MLB. You don't worry about if the Federal Government classified something as a crime or not. Do you think the penalty MLB imposes should be different because the Government decided that his actions should be punished as a felony instead of a misdemeanor?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When people get mad at the word hacker, they think this is what a hacker does. <a href="https://t.co/VPnS9Ewhzz">pic.twitter.com/VPnS9Ewhzz</a></p>— Camden Depot (@CamdenDepot) <a href="

">July 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think you act upon what they did and how it impacted MLB. You don't worry about if the Federal Government classified something as a crime or not. Do you think the penalty MLB imposes should be different because the Government decided that his actions should be punished as a felony instead of a misdemeanor?

I think that each team is a corporation in and of itself and stealing another corporation's proprietary secrets can have absolutely enormous effects. Think if Coke did this to Pepsi in order to beat them to market on a product, or if Lowe's lands a national contract over Home Depot because they knew the specifics of what Depot was offering. There's a reason most major corporations make you sign non competition forms or various other forms forbidding you to talk about certain trade secrets.

I think that each team is a corporation in and of itself and stealing another corporation's proprietary secrets can have absolutely enormous effects. Think if Coke did this to Pepsi in order to beat them to market on a product, or if Lowe's lands a national contract over Home Depot because they knew the specifics of what Depot was offering. There's a reason most major corporations make you sign non competition forms or various other forms forbidding you to talk about certain trade secrets.

Not that I am disagreeing with you but what does that have to do with the Federal case?

Not that I am disagreeing with you but what does that have to do with the Federal case?

Hacking into those trade secrets is not a slap on the wrist offense, it's a potentially major industry shifting attack on a corporation. As far as MLB goes, I think it's far worse than anyone player caught using PEDs,corking their bat etc. It's like the whole team is doing it.

Archived