Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

"Sources" LOL..... Actually not giving up the 2 prospects for BJ is probably a smarter move for the organization.

If SD was not going to add in $$, Did we really need to swap/add a $16.5MM platoon OF'er? :no:

I think we are OK with Rickard, Nolan, and Kim.

I like our guys when our SP is effective :eektf:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not even close. Though Sir loin never would say who Upton was going to. Just who would break it. And he did! I commended him for the right guess. I figured he would be an Oriole and Heyman would break it. it

No chance Jon would have broken it. Like I said Rosenthal had it. I'll type up something tonight and get it out to you all soon regarding some new Orioles trade plans.

Just throwing it out there: We know Angelos loves himself some Buck. Does anyone think that when DD goes to Angelos with a deal, he calls on Buck to ask his thoughts, and if Buck doesn't like the deal, Angelos vetoes it? I have no idea how it works in the O's front office, but I do think Angelos would listen to Buck over DD any day.

Tongue in cheek. I'm actually glad he meddled in this one.

Forgot to mention, perhaps Angelos greatest contribution to Orioles was not letting gillick sell in '96. Now some may say that caused the dark ages of 1998-2011 because well Angelos probably thought he knew more about baseball than all the baseball execs.

Just throwing it out there: We know Angelos loves himself some Buck. Does anyone think that when DD goes to Angelos with a deal, he calls on Buck to ask his thoughts, and if Buck doesn't like the deal, Angelos vetoes it? I have no idea how it works in the O's front office, but I do think Angelos would listen to Buck over DD any day.

I think that if that was the case some of the deals we have seen would not have happened.

The return of captain Angelos! Quick everyone duck!!

I'd like to know what the prospects involved were before throwing Angelos under the bus.

Let's keep in mind that this was actually a Duquette problem that is trying to be solved by adding more payroll. Payroll that is obviously at the very top of what Angelos is comfortable with/budgeted for.

We've seen payroll mismanagement by Duquette multiple times this year already. Giving Matusz arbitration, only to let him "pitch" (be hurt) for a month or so before being traded along with a comp pick for essentially salary relief.

The ditching of Miguel Gonzalez when in reality he'd be a #3 on this club (4.28 ERA, best FIP of his career, best K rate, best HR rate) to save a few million.

I mean, clearly we have salary limitations here.

Ok... Sisco is going to get rid of Ubaldo then.

Seriously this is the Orioles MO. Attach a valuable asset to a terrible one. See comp picks with Matusz and Webb. People put a lot of blame on DD for his trades but he's gotta do what he's gotta do. DD came up with a pretty creative trade to trade Ubaldo away and only have to add 5 million to the payroll next year and it got nixed. Instead we would have had to add 5 million in prospects to make SD do it.

We should be all happy that DD didn't do that.

Crasnick: #Rangers and #Orioles were among several teams with scouts watching Jeremy Hellickson last night. #Marlins obviously in the mix.

Probably lose out on hellickson. Rangers have more to offer and the Marlins have loco loria who seems intent on going for a playoff spot this season and doesn't care about giving up prospects.

Crasnick: #Rangers and #Orioles were among several teams with scouts watching Jeremy Hellickson last night. #Marlins obviously in the mix.

Probably lose out on hellickson. Rangers have more to offer and the Marlins have loco loria who seems intent on going for a playoff spot this season and doesn't care about giving up prospects.

When it comes to hellickson i dont think rangers having better farm katters. Hellickson isnt getting anyone like mendez profar, gallo, brinson, etc.

I'd like to know what the prospects involved were before throwing Angelos under the bus.

Let's keep in mind that this was actually a Duquette problem that is trying to be solved by adding more payroll. Payroll that is obviously at the very top of what Angelos is comfortable with/budgeted for.

We've seen payroll mismanagement by Duquette multiple times this year already. Giving Matusz arbitration, only to let him "pitch" (be hurt) for a month or so before being traded along with a comp pick for essentially salary relief.

The ditching of Miguel Gonzalez when in reality he'd be a #3 on this club (4.28 ERA, best FIP of his career, best K rate, best HR rate) to save a few million.

I mean, clearly we have salary limitations here.

I'm guessing the prospects were probably Scott and one of Gonzalez/Peralta.

Matusz wasn't that big of a risk because a 1/5 deal for a LH reliever with his track record was a pretty good deal for us.

Gonzo is a tough one. I think they knew he was hurt all last year and didn't want a repeat of that.

My problem is where is the money we saved from cutting Gonzo in ST and getting the Braves to pick up Matusz's contract? Shouldn't that have covered the 5 million in the Upton trade.

• 2 months later...

Archived