Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

You think he would be exposed if he started every day against lefties?

I think Reimold's numbers versus lefties would improve a lot with consistent ABs off of them. He has that slightly closed stance...perfect to drive pitches to the Right-Centerfield gap vs. LHPs. Definitely could see him getting comfortable and successful, if given the opportunity.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was illustrating that even if you go by Fangraphs' rosy opinion of Ubaldo's season to date his compensation outweighs his performance.

Not sure what brought your reply on?

It wasn't directed at you CoC, I just have an objection to linear valuation of WAR, since the replacement level is arbitrary and very low, IMO.

I don't disagree with you, but I've never seen a good attempt to chart how the value of WAR might vary at it increases for a specific player.

Me either. I did a quick Google search for "linear valuation of WAR", but couldn't find anything useful.

The replacement level used for WAR has been a moving target with .333 used originally and down to .294 now. I'm not sure why they made that change, but the level is arbitrary and the context is critical (past reflection on league performance vs. trade deadline valuation for winning teams, for example).

This is from Padres media source: So Padres have spent over $60 million on international signings- $47 million (so far) on eating money on Shields/Upton. Expensive season

So either there was something with ubaldo salary or they liked Jays prospect more than Orioles prospect(s). I'm not sweating it though; I was probably more happy about possibly getting rid of ubaldo.

Me either. I did a quick Google search for "linear valuation of WAR", but couldn't find anything useful.

The replacement level used for WAR has been a moving target with .333 used originally and down to .294 now. I'm not sure why they made that change, but the level is arbitrary and the context is critical (past reflection on league performance vs. trade deadline valuation for winning teams, for example).

I found this, its from 2014, but fangraphs is usually good stuff:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-assumptions-and-linearity-of-the-cost-of-a-win/

This is from Padres media source: So Padres have spent over $60 million on international signings- $47 million (so far) on eating money on Shields/Upton. Expensive season

So either there was something with ubaldo salary or they liked Jays prospect more than Orioles prospect(s). I'm not sweating it though; I was probably more happy about possibly getting rid of ubaldo.

We didn't want to add on 3.5M, which is what the Padres wanted. THey dropped salary in their deal with Jays, we didn't want to take on salary for Upton...that's why it didn't happen.

Thanks to Sir Loin for giving us the info he heard.

I liked this trade mainly because we were getting rid of Ubaldo. It was a pretty creative bad contract swap. I'd like to know how it broke down. What was the argument over financials? Seems like it got complicated once Cashner got mentioned.

With the value that relievers have nowadays we need to reconsider that value of Tanner Scott. He's getting hit around a little in AA at first but he's going to be a weapon out of the pen here real soon.

All but $5M. That's crazy.

Yeah that makes no sense on their part. Upton was having a decent season heck I would have taken Upton with keeping Ubaldo if they are paying all but 5M. Upton in right next year with Kim in left is a very good corner outfield for less then 10 million. This Hansel guy must be a heck of a prospect in their eyes.

We didn't want to add on 3.5M, which is what the Padres wanted. THey dropped salary in their deal with Jays, we didn't want to take on salary for Upton...that's why it didn't happen.

I don't know if I believe it over $3.5 million, especially considering the Padres ate all but $5m of upton salary. I'm thinking it was more about the prospects

Thanks to Sir Loin for giving us the info he heard.

I liked this trade mainly because we were getting rid of Ubaldo. It was a pretty creative bad contract swap. I'd like to know how it broke down. What was the argument over financials? Seems like it got complicated once Cashner got mentioned.

With the value that relievers have nowadays we need to reconsider that value of Tanner Scott. He's getting hit around a little in AA at first but he's going to be a weapon out of the pen here real soon.

I dont think the Padres wanted Ubaldo contract for 2 years, and wanted the Orioles to eat most of it.

I don't know if I believe it over $3.5 million, especially considering the Padres ate all but $5m of upton salary. I'm thinking it was more about the prospects

Not according to Rosenthal and co.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was though. 3.5M isn't much but considering we wanted to get rid of some cash for Ubaldo I can see why we would...considering we're trading for more money than Ubaldo AND moving a couple prospects. I'm sure the prospects had something to do with it, but I also think we likely wanted cash even if we were giving two guys.

Not according to Rosenthal and co.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was though. 3.5M isn't much but considering we wanted to get rid of some cash for Ubaldo I can see why we would...considering we're trading for more money than Ubaldo AND moving a couple prospects. I'm sure the prospects had something to do with it, but I also think we likely wanted cash even if we were giving two guys.

Well either way, moving on to more important priorities ;)

Archived