Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

LOL. Weams is no Sirloin:)

Not even close. Though Sir loin never would say who Upton was going to. Just who would break it. And he did! I commended him for the right guess. I figured he would be an Oriole and Heyman would break it. it

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We didn't want to add on 3.5M, which is what the Padres wanted. THey dropped salary in their deal with Jays, we didn't want to take on salary for Upton...that's why it didn't happen.

Why not add 1.5 million and wave bye bye to Jiminez. You could do it so it all is on next years salary if you want. Give Chris Davis an insane contract but then don't trade for a guy because of 1.5 million dollars? This team doesn't make sense in the financial world.

I don't understand how we didn't get this done. It doesn't look like we couldn't have beaten that trade easily.

That is a really odd way to phrase it. Would have been a lot easier to say it looks like we could have easily beaten that trade, however I agree with what you are saying, but I'm not sure that we should have beaten that.

May be Upton replaces Smoak in Toronto's offense, and this is a signal Bautista's turf toe will continue to nag.

If that's the case, forces Encarnacion to put on a glove, which is usually fun. It will be interesting to watch their lineups now.

They were never going to retain all three of Encarnacion, Bautista and Saunders, but I figured they would get two out of three.

Adding another high salaried outfielder for 2017 makes me think they may only get one out of three. Upton is, to me, way worse than all those other guys for the next few years, so I don't mind the Blue Jays "winning" here.

May be Upton replaces Smoak in Toronto's offense, and this is a signal Bautista's turf toe will continue to nag.

If that's the case, forces Encarnacion to put on a glove, which is usually fun. It will be interesting to watch their lineups now.

They were never going to retain all three of Encarnacion, Bautista and Saunders, but I figured they would get two out of three.

Adding another high salaried outfielder for 2017 makes me think they may only get one out of three. Upton is, to me, way worse than all those other guys for the next few years, so I don't mind the Blue Jays "winning" here.

They already signed Smoak to an extension. And they are only paying $5M to him.

Me either. I did a quick Google search for "linear valuation of WAR", but couldn't find anything useful.

The replacement level used for WAR has been a moving target with .333 used originally and down to .294 now. I'm not sure why they made that change, but the level is arbitrary and the context is critical (past reflection on league performance vs. trade deadline valuation for winning teams, for example).

My recollection is that BB-ref and fangraphs had different baselines on replacement level that made it hard to compare their WAR numbers, so they compromised on a spot in the middle. The theory is that a team with all replacement level players would win about 47.6 games per season.

They already signed Smoak to an extension. And they are only paying $5M to him.

Good point, and that only makes the roster crunch worse.

To the extent that all of Saunders/Bautista/E5 have notions on staying, they have to be wondering where the roster spots are going.

Well now everything makes sense. Angelos would rather pay for a guy who only hurts the team than to pay for a guy who could help the team.

You mean pay for a guy...rather than pay MORE for a guy who could help the team.

As I stated earlier maybe the fact that attendance is down over 2K a game is having an impact on their ability to add payroll?

You mean pay for a guy...rather than pay MORE for a guy who could help the team against left handers only?.

As I stated earlier maybe the fact that attendance is down over 2K a game is having an impact on their ability to add payroll?

I see the footprint here that says Orioles are not taking on payroll.

Archived