Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
https://twitter.com/kyleaglaser/status/757966016739672064

Ok that's kind of underwhelming return if they are retaining all that salary. Just weird.

Makes sense to me. That guy would arguably be in our top 5-7 prospects. Our equivalent would have been T.Scott or O.Peralta. Maybe they wanted both.

I'm pretty sure that even if SD kicked in the the salary to make it an even swap of Upton for Ubaldo, and we had to include Scott and Peralta, people would be having major meltdowns. Likely myself included.

Upton made sense for the Orioles because of Rickard's injury and getting arid of Ubaldo, but I don't understand the fit in Toronto. They already have an outfield of Bautista, Pillar and Saunders. Hard to see him displacing any of them regularly. Ezequiel Carrera is a good fourth outfielder, I don't see Upton as an upgrade there.

I would've been fine with the move to bring him in if the prospect cost was minimal, but I'm not losing sleep over him going elsewhere.

I think the fit is the price they paid and the Jay's can block he Orioles from the trade the Orioles had set up. Hr is a good player, they will make it work but I don't think it moves the needle for them.

I think the fit is the price they paid and the Jay's can block he Orioles from the trade the Orioles had set up. Hr is a good player, they will make it work but I don't think it moves the needle for them.

Way too much emphasis on the Defensive Components of the WAR to be a really issue for them.

We really need a new trade rumor. This one was just too good. Anything that starts with trading Ubaldo is just too good to be true.

DD would have looked like a genius. But that only showed TOR how cheap Upton would come and they swooped in.

Alright Sir Loin, what next. This thread needs to die.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m4 minutes ago

Sources: #BlueJays agree to acquire Melvin Upton Jr. from #Padres for Class A prospect. Financial terms not known. Likely finalized today.

LOL. Weams is no Sirloin:)

Dodged a bullet

No way I wanted to see Upton sucking down 18 million to provide about what Nolan Riemold provides for

2 million. Go get Jay Bruce if we want to pick up an OF'er.

But target should be Hellickson

I think Upton would have been an upgrade but I worried what DD would have given up for that.

We really need a new trade rumor. This one was just too good. Anything that starts with trading Ubaldo is just too good to be true.

DD would have looked like a genius. But that only showed TOR how cheap Upton would come and they swooped in.

Alright Sir Loin, what next. This thread needs to die.

Yes!

Come on Sir Loin, spill the info :)

I think Upton would have been an upgrade but I worried what DD would have given up for that.

Probably two of our young arms like Scott, Peralta or B.Gonzalez. I have a feeling that it's going to be a quiet July deadline for us now. This was DD's real creative move that got spoiled.

Well getting Upton for 1 1/3 seasons for 5 million and a middling prospect looks like a steal for Toronto.

Now I'm a little miffed that we didn't make something work

Hopefully BJ reverts to his Atlanta version

I don't understand how we didn't get this done. It doesn't look like we couldn't have beaten that trade easily.

Archived