Nuggets: The wit and wisdom of Buck Showalter

tntoriole

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that the score of the game was 8-1, Showalter may have been thinking about the welfare of his own team, as well.

Yes, they came back from 6 runs down as recently as Sunday against the Giants, but that doesn't happen very often, and the likelihood of it happening twice for the same team just a few days apart is/was probably very small.

He may have thought that it wasn't the best thing for his players to sit and stew in the locker room for a couple of more hours and wait for a game in which they were losing by 7 runs to re-start. Just cut their losses, and start with a fresh game against a new team (the Astros) the next day.

"Everybody has their tales of woe...It's the dog-days of summer."

I think it goes w/o saying that he's the best since Weaver we've had. But what's most important to me is the quality of baseball. Growing up with the teams of the 1970's and early 1980's I felt we always played sound, fundamental baseball. At the plate and in the field. I might argue a little about our fundamentals at the plate nowadays, but what these two eras have in common is that we are always in the mix and competitive. There's not much more a fan could wish for. GO BUCK!

"Everybody has their tales of woe...It's the dog-days of summer."

I think it goes w/o saying that he's the best since Weaver we've had. But what's most important to me is the quality of baseball. Growing up with the teams of the 1970's and early 1980's I felt we always played sound, fundamental baseball. At the plate and in the field. I might argue a little about our fundamentals at the plate nowadays, but what these two eras have in common is that we are always in the mix and competitive. There's not much more a fan could wish for. GO BUCK!

Davey was very good.

He can't be blamed for getting shown the door before he had a chance to establish much of a legacy here.

One day I think the NFL's hubris will catch up to them.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Fantasy football is a big driver in their popularity and the game itself isnt the great game it used to be. It wont happen soon, but there will be a price to pay.

Davey was very good.

He can't be blamed for getting shown the door before he had a chance to establish much of a legacy here.

I think Davey was very good, but after he left the Mets he had four different managerial jobs of three years or less despite winning. Davey had a way of making management look for a reason to fire him. He was not a likeable guy.

Davey was very good.

Yeah, I agree, Davey was great (I actually considered adding him as a caveat to my statement), but he's more of a flash in our managerial pan than an enduring leader. I think Buck has entered the legacy realm as opposed to Davey who just sort of passed thru. Had Davey been able to hang around, I think he'd have made a similar impact as Weaver and now Buck have. There's a tenure component, I think...

Yeah, I agree, Davey was great (I actually considered adding him as a caveat to my statement), but he's more of a flash in our managerial pan than an enduring leader. I think Buck has entered the legacy realm as opposed to Davey who just sort of passed thru. Had Davey been able to hang around, I think he'd have made a similar impact as Weaver and now Buck have. There's a tenure component, I think...

I can see where you are coming from.

Davey had very good players. Everywhere he went. Very good.

Archived