O's looking at Wade Miley (Acquired for Ariel Miranda)

ChipTait

I think it is very much a coincidence. Unless you think Bob Brenly is a better manager than Buck Showalter.

I didn't say he or Torre was a better manager. I just stated a fact that those teams went to the world series. But, hey, maybe it was all just coincidental. I'm sure lots of managers in history have multiple teams who won world series the year after they left.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say he or Torre was a better manager. I just stated a fact that those teams went to the world series. But, hey, maybe it was all just coincidental. I'm sure lots of managers in history have multiple teams who won world series the year after they left.

I don't remember Texas winning the WS. The diamondbacks and the Yankees were probably two of the most roided up and high payroll teams of the era.

pastorfan said:

Buck is a very good manager and we are lucky to have him. But it is no coincidence that as soon as he left his former teams went to the World Series. His strength can become a weakness.

o

I don't think that it's a coincidence either, but not for the same reason that you are insinuating.

In the case of the Yankees, Joe Torre walked in on the coattails of what Gene Michael and Buck Showalter had built prior to him getting there. And the Yankees' exorbitant payroll, which topped the Major Leagues throughout the first decade of the new century played a large part in allowing them to remain perennial contenders after they stopped winning World Series in 2000.

After Gabe Paul (the Yankees' G.M from 1973-1977) rebuilt the Yankees back into a power (2 World championships, 4 pennants, and 5 division titles from 1976-1981), George Steinbrenner's insane temper and compulsiveness with BOTH his managers AND his players drove the Yankees back into a pretty good but no longer great franchise from 1982-1988 (7 out of 8 winning seasons, but no playoff appearances), and finally a bad franchise (4 straight losing seasons from 1989-1992.) It wasn't until Fay Vincent gave Steinbrenner the boot for 2 years in July of 1990 that the Yankees were able to rebuild themselves back into a power again under the guidance of General Manager Gene Michael (1991-1995) and Manager Buck Showalter (1992-1995.) And then along came Torre in 1996, who was a good enough manager not to screw up the great thing that he had in front of him.

o

Sounds like it to me but reading between the lines with Buck is never very accurate.

?You always watch,? Showalter said. ?We?re going to keep him in a certain area and not lose sight of where he is in what we?re trying to do with the structure of the season and with him. We?re able to kind of pass it around some people and try to put them in a situation where they can do a job for us, and they did.?

Does this mean he will give Bundy another day of rest again and use Miley vs a team he has been "relatively" successful? :scratchchinhmm: We shall see....

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/wrapping-up-a-6-3-win.html

"(On Sunday) It?s Wade Miley?s turn in a six-man rotation, but he could be pushed back a few days or sent to the bullpen. Manager Buck Showalter has more time to make a decision.

Miley faced the Rays on May 10 and allowed four runs in six innings in a 6-4 win. His next start came at Camden Yards and he shut out the Orioles (Rays?) on two hits over six innings.

Miley is 4-2 with a 2.81 ERA in eight career starts against the Rays, a track record that Showalter will take under consideration."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/09/notes-on-rotation-hardy-and-tonights-game.html

As OFFNY might do:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck said <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> leaning toward starting Miley on Sunday. Said team is progressing with between start work as if he's starting Sunday.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Going with Miley on Sunday would allow <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> to give Bundy, Gausman and Tillman extra off day. Would also slot them all for Boston series</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think Wade has one more decent start in him. I don't think he is actually as bad as he looked in Boston. Buck has the luxury of having a quick hook, he should use it.

Agreed. I just don't think Miley is as bad as he has been since coming. His stuff isn't bad, he's just pitching badly, period, and not getting any luck to go with it. I actually still like him to be a fine #5 for us next season.

I think Wade has one more decent start in him. I don't think he is actually as bad as he looked in Boston. Buck has the luxury of having a quick hook, he should use it.

He's definitely better than his numbers show.

That said, he's hard to bank on doing well. Hopefully he has a great start against the Rays and can finish the season on a high note.

Agreed. I just don't think Miley is as bad as he has been since coming. His stuff isn't bad, he's just pitching badly, period, and not getting any luck to go with it. I actually still like him to be a fine #5 for us next season.

I'm not crazy about paying him next year, but people are pretty dogmatic regarding his last start. If a couple plays are made there's a chance he comes away unscathed.

Manny had a ball to this right that I've seen him make many times. The ball hit in the middle of his glove and he didn't come up with it. He probably wouldn't have turned two, but good chance he gets an out if he comes up with it. Then, Pearce on the play which was reviewed. Not an easy play but one that could have been made and Pearce mistimed his jump. That's two big outs and also the play when Betts basically stole home.

Combined with the hits when Miley made good pitches without the results the outcome seemed about right.

I'd rather go with a bullpen start.

Of course with Miley the bullpen will be in the game by the third anyway.

The problem is Gallardo is getting absolutely torched right now. They might have to go to Worley early tonight. And then what does that leave for Sunday? Tyler Wilson? Mike Wright? It's not a very appetizing choice of options.

Archived