O's management and former O's pitchers

Nevermore

Oh yes, I remember Daniel Cabrera. Shortly after he left the team, I went into my "Orioles Fan Exile" and so I've missed a lot of earlier examples. Such as Curt Schilling and Pete Harnisch.

And yes, OPACY has small dimensions, more friendly to hitters than pitchers. But then there are the road games, as Joeyloetz has pointed out.

Yet, even without these earlier examples, I still see a pattern.

When you are looking for patterns you see them in everything.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but you are not going to find one GM in baseball that every decision he makes turns out perfect.

So instead you will have to settle for a 1st place team that has won more games than any other team in the AL since 2012 if you are an O's fan.

I can live with that.

I think y'all are missing the OP's point, which is, I believe, that the Orioles' organizational philosophy regarding the cutter during DD's tenure has been hella dumb.

If so, I completely and enthusiastically agree.

Many teams don't let young pitchers throw a cutter early on. The Rays don't let a pitcher throw a cutter for the first two years in the minors. I don't think it is the cutter that stops the Orioles from developing pitchers.Even before the cutter philosophy the Orioles were not good at developing pitchers.

Maybe the data sources are misidentifying pitches, but Gonzalez' pitch mix doesn't look meaningfully different than in past years. Fangraphs says he's throwing a few more sliders, a few less cutters. Nothing at all radical. The only thing that kind of sticks out about his whole record is that his HR rate and HR/FB rate are significantly lower even though his FB% isn't much different than last year.

Of the three pitchers mentioned in the OP, Gonzo is the one that mystifies me why we gave up on him so soon. The other two were given a lot of rope.

It was the money. If they couldn't have saved any cash by releasing him they wouldn't have cut him in spring training.

Lets ignore the fact, that the Orioles only bans the cutter for the young pitchers in the minors, and not at the professional level.

Even if you're eating peanut butter six times a week and pulling down $875 a month in the minors you're still a professional. Jim Thorpe had his Olympic medals confiscated because he wasn't an amateur He'd played semi-pro baseball where the players split the gate in a league that probably drew dozens of fans who paid a quarter to get in.

In short, the guys in Aberdeen are professional ballplayers.

Archived