Alvarez for Davis?

Bahama O's Fan

I'm sorry if I have some of you upset. I did not see anywhere that was suggested going to a NL park with no DH' date=' giving Davis a day off and letting Alvarez play 1B because he was hitting well.[/quote']

Not upset at all. I just don't think having Alvarez play the field in place of Davis would work. It seems as though every time Alvarez is in the field he makes an error. Tis team is reliant on good defense to back out pitchers, and even without Alvarez in the field our defense has been suspect in occasion this season. I like Pedro and can't wait to see him back in the lineup once we are back in an AL park.

Not upset at all. I just don't think having Alvarez play the field in place of Davis would work. It seems as though every time Alvarez is in the field he makes an error. Tis team is reliant on good defense to back out pitchers, and even without Alvarez in the field our defense has been suspect in occasion this season. I like Pedro and can't wait to see him back in the lineup once we are back in an AL park.

While I totally agree with you didn't Alverez have to play the field with the Pirates? And if so would assume it was first base and while he is not a defensive whiz like Davis how risky could it be for him to play there once in a while to give Davis a rest when there is no DH?

While I totally agree with you didn't Alverez have to play the field with the Pirates? And if so would assume it was first base and while he is not a defensive whiz like Davis how risky could it be for him to play there once in a while to give Davis a rest when there is no DH?
Very. He was an albatross for PIT, and Buck tried him a few times this at 1B year and also at 3 but gave up on him he was so bad. Davis saves several outs a game with his glove.

I can think of at least two picks last night. Do you watch? He often picks throws Alvarez wouldn't.

I'm not questioning that in a given game he might make two picks that Alvarez wouldn't.

I questioning the idea that Davis, or any first baseman, saves several outs a game with his glove.

And no, I did not watch last night's game. It is pretty rare that I have a chance to watch the 10PM starts.

Archived