vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/29

OFFNY

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You have to give up something of quality to get quality. Absolutely Ortiz would be a plus defender at 2B and would be doing well "IF" the Orioles would have given him that chance. I think the Orioles had every intention of Holliday playing 2B for them most of the year and didn't see an everyday spot for Ortiz. Burnes has been everything the Orioles could have hoped for and they are going for a World Series this year. That trade was certainly worth it at the time and if the Orioles do win a World Series and Burnes is a big part of that, no one is going to care how the players traded do. I've been a big Ortiz guy over the last few years and wanted him to be the everyday 2B last year over Frazier. He's doing about what I expected offensively and even though he's playing out of position at 3B right now, when he moves back to SS they are going to have an outstanding major league SS to replace Adames.  I hope Joey goes on to have an outstanding career, but the Orioles already have a pretty good SS, and 2B will be manned by either Westburg or Holliday for years to come. This was a good depth trade by Elias and even if it doesn't end up in a WS win this year, it was the exact kind of trades he needs to be willing to make to give his team a better chance at winning each year.
    • Assuming we get today's game in, who pitches Sunday? (Curious because I'm going)
    • No doubt hearing the chorus of suggestions from O’s fan on the internet everywhere, Holliday indeed appears to have tweaked his stance: That would indeed explain his immediate struggles after getting sent down (as opposed to just pouting) and why he’s better than ever now.
    • Some defensive numbers at the quarter pole: Henderson +4 Rdrs, +4 Rtot, +4 OAA, -0.1 UZR Mountcastle +4 Rdrs, 0 Rtot, -1 OAA, -0.6 UZR Mateo +3 Rdrs, +4 Rtot, -1 OAA, 0.0 UZR Rutschman +2 Rdrs, +3 Rtot, -1 CS, -1 FR, +1 BL Mullins +2 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, +2 OAA, +1.4 UZR Urias +1 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.5 UZR Westburg +1 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, +1 OAA, -0.3 UZR Cowser 0 Rdrs, +1 Rtot, +4 OAA, +1.5 UZR O’Hearn 0 Rdrs, -2 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.6 UZR Santander -2 Rdrs, +1 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.2 UZR Hays -2 Rdrs, -2 Rtot, -1 OAA, + 0.4 UZR McCannn -4 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, 0 CS, -2 FR, -1 BL Cano +2 Rdrs TEAM: +11 Rdrs (11th in MLB) +5 Rtot (10th), +9 OAA (6th),+0.6 UZR (13th)  
    • Playing devil's advocate a bit here: the hitters today have way more resources available than ever before...pitching machines that replicate pitch shapes, virtual reality simulators, HD cameras that capture the pitcher's motion millisecond by millisecond, and super advanced scouting.
    • I believe Cowser's going to get extra investment as he carries the RoY torch for the organization and it is a meaningful asset he is racing for. Baseball as constant whack a mole - during Cowser AB's, I had noted Brown/Palmer saying it is changeups crushing him. Last year it seemed like it was anything bendy, and maybe changeups are a smaller hole.    Many of the Driveline trainees are 95 and a slider. For sure right now Cowser plate appearances are kind of Bugs Bunny theater for any pitcher with a decent changeup.     He might be a good guy to stand in against Grayson for live BP.
    • Woo! I’m cutting out of work early to walk over, so I’m hoping that I can successfully play hooky on this one!
  • Popular Contributors