If we miss the playoffs this year, trade Manny and sign Schoop

FanSince88

I think the consensus is that there honestly might not be a treasure chest large enough to warrant trading Manny Machado. Or, at the least, a team willing that's willing to pony up the chest required. The guy is a Top 5 position player in all of baseball. Those aren't easy to come by.

If we could get 4 good prospects for Manny why wouldn't you trade him? The Yankees seem to have a lot of prospects. They seem to have a hole at third.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a radical thought. If we miss the playoffs this year, take the money from Wieters, Trumbo, et.al leaving, use it to reload as best as possible and try again in 2017.

Wash, rinse, repeat over the years

Crazy, I know, but damn it's liberating to entertain the thought that trying to compete at a game where they keep score is a genuine option.

Off the top of my head sign Saunders and Reddick for the corners and move Kim to DH. Bring back Pearce and sign a stop gap C like Hundley or Soto.

Off the top of my head sign Saunders and Reddick for the corners and move Kim to DH. Bring back Pearce and sign a stop gap C like Hundley or Soto.

What do you think the price will be on Saunders? I absolutely covet this guy. We are lucky the Jays lost a year of him due to a freak injury.

But that would do nothing in regard to maximizing the trade value of any given current player which, as we all know, is the only legitimate reason for fielding a major league baseball team in the first place. Why imagine the horror and embarrassment if the team fell short of (cue angel chorus) The World Series and ended up with a (gasp) expiring asset or two. Worst of all, now you have to watch that expiring asset decline in value and tolerate your so-called friends try to hide their contempt because the team you root for isn't smart enough to give up early (sob).

Thank God for threads like this so we don't lose sight of what's really important.

What other guys have been "the type player" you spend big on?

What other mega contracts have resulted in their team winning multiple championships or even multiple playoff apperances?

How many outside of LA, Boston, or New York?

Did A-rod bring Texas success?

How has Pujols worked out for the Angels?

Fielder for the Tigers, Votto for the Reds, Cano for the Mariners?

has Kershaw got the Dodgers past the Giants?

Has Grienke propelled the Diamondbacks into the playoffs?

Did giving Stanton 13 yrs and 325 million dollars keep Stanton healthy?

Could the Twins finished in last place without giving Mauer 183 million?

How far out in the AL East would the O's be without Chris Davis who is 13th among ML 1B in OPS?

Nope sorry big contracts are almost always big mistakes

Pretty much the truth there. It's too much for one player and the rest of the team suffers. Carl Crawford, Ryan Zimmerman, Josh Hamilton, Matt Kemp are others worth mentioning. I'd rather have four or five guys than

to put everything in one or two guys. I'd rather have the talent in my organization spread out and solid throughout as opposed to depending too much on one or two players at the expense of the rest of the team. The

object is to have the best TEAM because that's what wins championships; good TEAMS not average teams with a top five talent on it and yes, that TEAM includes depth in the minors. It amazes me how this seems to

escape so many people. Signing Manny to the type of contract that is disastrous almost every time historically and does not lead to championships for a team like the Orioles that is already playing the patchwork game

with no farm to speak of is a major disaster waiting to happen.

Can you guarantee me he won't get a severe injury in year four and never be the same guy again and never play another full season? Can you guarantee me he won't get hit with a pitch in the face or hand and never

be the same player again? Putting that kind of money into one player is pure insanity and the history of these contracts reflects that. The Davis contract is bad enough already. Learn from the mistakes of other teams

instead of being eager to roll right down the same path.

If we could get 4 good prospects for Manny why wouldn't you trade him? The Yankees seem to have a lot of prospects. They seem to have a hole at third.

The Yankees have a handful of guys that they just picked up, none of whom is good enough to be the headliner in a Manny Machado trade, IMO.

As others have noted, if you deal Machado, you need at least 1-2 guys that are immediately MLB ready back in return, and THEN prospects to sweeten it.

I honestly don't see a group of players on the Yanks right now that'd even be feasible, to be honest.

I think it's a bit too generous. Jones signed for 6/85 and was much closer to free agency. I think something more like 6/35-40 is more appropriate.... but I'm not sure what the rest of the league is doing. I don't think players of Schoop's caliber get extended very often. He's a good player but not a franchise player.

There's been quite a lot of salary inflation since Jones signed his deal. I think Schoop is about a Jones-level talent.

This is an interesting alternate strategy. And I wouldn't necessarily oppose it. But I doubt the haul for any one of these guys individually (except maybe Britton) will be very impressive. Maybe we get a B prospect and minor league depth for Jones. We might be able to score someone big with Britton if we're lucky, but it's not as sure a bet as dealing MM. A Davis trade would be a salary dump, and I wouldn't necessarily oppose that if it enables a Manny or Schoop signing, but it would require PA and DD to eat a huge bowl of crow which they won't do.

If getting rid of CD's contract was a realistic option, I wouldn't be so averse to keeping Manny around and/or signing him. But I don't see any way that happens.

I didn't mean to imply that I was advocating trading anyone. I was just saying that if the Orioles were going to start trading off players to build for the future they would be smarter to trade the older guys, even if the perceived haul isn't as good. Manny IS the future. No way should they should deal away arguably the best player in baseball (at least one of the first handful) for guys who have not established themselves. It's just the sort of gamble that might get them another decade in the wilderness.

And I absolutely refuse to accept the excuse that they can't afford to extend Manny. Budgetary excuses went out the window for me when they outbid themselves for Chris Davis based on two monster half-seasons and two years of the inconsistency and frustration we've seen this year in between. If you can afford to throw $161 million at an over-30 slugger who is certain to give you diminishing returns, you can afford to pay $300 million for a decade of a likely (health permitting) Hall of Famer who has yet to reach what should be his prime years. If they use Chris Davis' contract as an excuse for not extending Manny, I will never forgive them.

The Yankees have a handful of guys that they just picked up, none of whom is good enough to be the headliner in a Manny Machado trade, IMO.

As others have noted, if you deal Machado, you need at least 1-2 guys that are immediately MLB ready back in return, and THEN prospects to sweeten it.

I honestly don't see a group of players on the Yanks right now that'd even be feasible, to be honest.

No way I would trade Manny to the Yankees and probably not even an AL team. A Manny trade would more than likely be a multi-team deal and most likely to an NL team.

For those in the "trade Manny" camp, I am curious to hear some deals. What players would you want back that another team would be willing to give up?

I guess if the Dodgers were willing to give up Corey Seager I would not hang up the phone but I don't see that happening. I would not give up two years of Manny for A. J. Reed.

No way I would trade Manny to the Yankees and probably not even an AL team. A Manny trade would more than likely be a multi-team deal and most likely to an NL team.

I was using the Yankees as a hypothetical, since that was cimota was mentioning.

Personally, if they dealt Machado, I wouldn't care where he went so long as they got back the most value possible.

Archived