vs. YANKEES, 9/04

Sessh

Despite what Buck and Dan might like to say Kim has done better against fastballs this season.

Even the ones with premium velocity.

Schoop's the man against junk.

Pearce has actually been very good against fastballs this season, even better than Kim. So I don't have a problem letting him hit. But there's no excuse for not pinch-hitting Kim for Wieters in that situation. None.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles got what they needed, 2 of 3 with Bundy and Gausman pulling through. Did not have high expectations for this game.

Pineda sporting a near 6 era, I thought our offense would do some damage. I was wrong, offense looks bad the past two games and now we're on the road where they're even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but part of it is that Buck is a Pearce guy. I don't have a problem with that, but Pearce killed us today.

I'll give Pearce a break cause he single handedly won us the 3rd game of the last series vs Yankees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think this is right, Boras’ initial asking price will be to top Cole’s deal but given Burnes’ age he will get 7 years. But I think he’ll “settle” for 7 years by narrowly going over Cole’s AAV, so something like 7 yr / $255 M. The one interesting wrinkle is that teams have often gone extra years for lower AAV for luxury tax purposes. The Orioles have somewhat of an “advantage” in that they could do a high AAV and still never come close to paying luxury tax. 
    • Here’s the thing (right now), we have 6 starters (one too many) and not enough good relievers (certainly none who can pitch more than an inning). Kremer has issues (this season) the more times that he does through the lineup (especially the third time through). It seems plausible to me that the switch given Kremer’s stuff would be better for everyone where Kremer may even at a tick in velo and be better at getting strikeouts as a reliever. And Irvin who has been an excellent starter (thus far) could continue in that role.
    • On one hand, it's always a bad thing when a pitcher has to get a 4th out, either because of an error or an umpire's mistake. On the other hand, a pitcher still has to execute and can't serve up a meatball. That being said, that was probably the most impactful non-strike call I can remember this year, maybe a few years.   EDIT: From Melewski - "Sometimes the strike call you don't get leads to the fastball you throw that leaves the ballpark."
    • It's fine, but I would personally prefer having Cowser and Adley taking tons of pitches back-to-back before Gunnar further punishes the opposing starting pitcher with high exit velo barrels. 
    • I was going to say pretty much the same thing about Cowser in my post, but left out my thoughts to keep the post more Gunnar-centric. But I totally agree that Cowser fits the best as this team's leadoff hitter, especially since Holliday doesn't look like he's going to make an impact offensively as early as most of us thought heading into the season.  Going back to last season, I've said Cowser has the best mix of patience, hit tool, power, and speed to be a great leadoff hitter. The strikeouts are most likely always going to be high with him, but he has .380-.400+ OBP makeup, and having someone like that hitting leadoff with Adley and Gunnar hitting directly behind Cowser is going to set things up for an elite offense which is much more dynamic and less one-dimensional than the what we've seen up until this point. Cowser Adley Gunnar Westburg O'Hearn Santander Mountcastle Is an ideal top 7 against RHP for right now, with Kjerstad (replacing Hays) and Mayo (essentially replacing Mateo and bumping Westburg to 2B) making the lineup legitimately scary within the next couple months. Mullins and Hays need to be phased out, with Santander and Mountcastle not far behind if those two continue struggling and not reaching base enough to justify hitting in the middle of the order.
  • Popular Contributors