One Big Contract That Has Been Worth It

Grt 2BA FL Gator

ADAM JONES.

Just when we thought he might have a really rough year on the other side of 30 after that slow start, he's come all the way back and may hit 30 HRs once again.

As much as I tend to worry about guys underperforming to their contract and dwelling on the negative (Ubaldo, possibly CD), I just wanted to celebrate AJ as a model of consistency and someone who's been well worth one of the largest contracts in Orioles history.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ADAM JONES.

Just when we thought he might have a really rough year on the other side of 30 after that slow start, he's come all the way back and may hit 30 HRs once again.

As much as I tend to worry about guys underperforming to their contract and dwelling on the negative (Ubaldo, possibly CD), I just wanted to celebrate AJ as a model of consistency and someone who's been well worth one of the largest contracts in Orioles history.

He's having the worst offensive season of his last 5 by wRC+ and his defensive metrics have him worth about 1.5 WAR. On pace for his worst overall season since 2009.

He appears to be declining to me.

He's having the worst offensive season of his last 5 by wRC+ and his defensive metrics have him worth about 1.5 WAR. On pace for his worst overall season since 2009.

How much of that is because he had an injury riddled disappointing start to the season with bad numbers for a fairly substantial time? Since his reawakening (at about the time he moved to lead off) he has been as good or better than most of the previous five years. The start of the season was by far his worst ever and is still impacting the overall appearance of the kind of year he's having, but he has been good for us since moving to lead off, a couple months of quality play now.

Declining Adam Jones is still an above average CF and his contract is a bargain in today's dollars. He will be close to 15 WAR by the end of this year. He has already been worth the contract and anything we get in his declining years will be bonus.

Declining Adam Jones is still an above average CF and his contract is a bargain in today's dollars. He will be close to 15 WAR by the end of this year. He has already been worth the contract and anything we get in his declining years will be bonus.

Well put. He's been worth it. Got him cheap in an unbelievably good trade, extended him in a team friendly deal (in hindsight) and he's the clubhouse leader. I can't imagine the last 8 or so years without him, especially the last 5.

Just the panic last week when he appeared headed for the DL is proof enough how hard he is to replace.

His re-signing in Baltimore was the turning point for the organization. I thought it then and still do. NOBODY thought he would re-up with the O's.

He showed a lot of faith in the team and PA put up good money. His attitude and character and heart make a world of difference on a team that used to suck.

His re-signing in Baltimore was the turning point for the organization. I thought it then and still do. NOBODY thought he would re-up with the O's.

He showed a lot of faith in the team and PA put up good money. His attitude and character and heart make a world of difference on a team that used to suck.

Unfortunately Manny will see how much Adam short changed himself by going for guaranteed money at the expense of maximum return. I think the lesson from the players perspective is probably to always go for free agency as soon as possible. We could offer Manny $120M, a 50% increase over AJ's deal, and he probably would not return the call.

AJ has been at or near his career averages for the past 8 years except for two years at ages 26 and 27 when he was above it. I wouldn't say he is in decline, he has hit his post peak plateau. So far in his contract he has been worth 113.5 M with 2 years to go.

Well, he's 31 so.....

Not sure what the point of this is. OP was talking about the contract value. He's already exceeded the contract.

Unfortunately Manny will see how much Adam short changed himself by going for guaranteed money at the expense of maximum return. I think the lesson from the players perspective is probably to always go for free agency as soon as possible. We could offer Manny $120M, a 50% increase over AJ's deal, and he probably would not return the call.

Eh. I don't think we have to lament the jones bargain because of some tangential impact it may have had on Manny and his negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not declining. He's rock solid.

Adam Jones has been stellar as leadoff... And is one of the better personalities in all of baseball.

He saved baseball in Baltimore by asserting an attitude of winning and taking the reigns of leadership.

He's one of the O's all time greats... I appreciate his play every night!

Adam Jones has been stellar as leadoff... And is one of the better personalities in all of baseball.

He saved baseball in Baltimore by asserting an attitude of winning and taking the reigns of leadership.

He's one of the O's all time greats... I appreciate his play every night!

The problem with leaders who have been around forever... everyone's afraid of disrespecting them. So you can't tell him he shouldn't bat leadoff or you should move to corner OF.

I'd rather Kim bat leadoff, because one of the things I want my leadoff guy to do is take some pitches so that the 2 and 3 batters can get a look at what the pitcher's throwing.

Archived