Buck: why is Pearce still playing in an 11-2 game when his shoulder is obviously killing him?

Frobby

:agree:

Watching Pearce (who I also like a lot) trying to throw last night was painful to me as well. Not a big fan of every decision that Buck makes.

Even a few weeks ago when I was at the game Sunday against the Yankees,he could barely throw home. I think it was the first inning and guys on second and third and the ball was hit to him and the second runner was barely around third and he just lobbed it in. Did not even try to throw it home.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yesterday would have been a good game to put your best outfield together. I know Bourn isn't the player that can carry you to the promise land, but Pearce is obviously hurt and should only be used As a DH. I would platoon Kim and Bourn in LF for the rest of the season. Kim was at his best when he and Rickard were finally being platooned.

Both Bourn and Kim are left-handed hitters and so you can't platoon them (Bourn does not have a reverse split).

Pearce is one of Buck's nuggets. He's going to play. Even if it means playing out of position. Someone like Kim, who isn't one of Buck's favorites, is going to sit.

That is just one of the things you have to accept with Buck as the manager.

Playing the favorite over the better player. Just one reason I feel the way I do about Buck. It's ridiculous.

Playing the favorite over the better player. Just one reason I feel the way I do about Buck. It's ridiculous.

Sorry, but you're going to have find some other way to prove that Buck is "ridiculous." Price is left-handed and so it shouldn't have surprised you that Kim--and Alvarez--didnt start. Pearce has shown in the past that he can play the Green Monster competently and, of all the left fields in baseball, it's the one that least requires a strong arm. Buck probably liked Pearce's and Stubbs' career stats vs. Price, although I guess you could argue it's "ridiculous" to use SSS in lineup decisions in this fashion; I don't--the stats are just a shorthand for what Buck has witnessed: Pearce's at-bats vs. Price. The only question I have is why not start Trumbo in right field, Stubbs in left, and DH Pearce. Considering how weird a right field Fenway has and Trumbo's defensive weaknesses, I'm not that riled up about it.

Sorry, but you're going to have find some other way to prove that Buck is "ridiculous." Price is left-handed and so it shouldn't have surprised you that Kim--and Alvarez--didnt start. Pearce has shown in the past that he can play the Green Monster competently and, of all the left fields in baseball, it's the one that least requires a strong arm. Buck probably liked Pearce's and Stubbs' career stats vs. Price, although I guess you could argue it's "ridiculous" to use SSS in lineup decisions in this fashion; I don't--the stats are just a shorthand for what Buck has witnessed: Pearce's at-bats vs. Price. The only question I have is why not start Trumbo in right field, Stubbs in left, and DH Pearce. Considering how weird a right field Fenway has and Trumbo's defensive weaknesses, I'm not that riled up about it.

You always want your best defender in RF at Fenway. Stubbs covers a lot more ground than Trumbo. I have no issue either with Pearce starting in LF, I just don't get why he and some other regulars were still in the game at that point.

You always want your best defender in RF at Fenway. Stubbs covers a lot more ground than Trumbo. I have no issue either with Pearce starting in LF, I just don't get why he and some other regulars were still in the game at that point.

Yeah that's what I implied by saying that Trumbo is a poor defender and Fenway's RF is a special challenge. If Pearce's arm was killing him, one could argue that he shd have DH'd, but that would have put Trumbo in LF, which I conjecture Buck thought could end up worse than having one-armed Steve out there; Trumbo is bad enough in RF and putting him in left would take away his one plus as right fielder: his throws to third and home.

I agree that Buck could have started his substitutions earlier. But even in that case one could argue that Price staying in the game that long made it harder for Buck to bring left-handed hitters like Flaherty in.

I think Pearce is the better player. But Kim is very valuable as well. The injury to Pearce gives a nod against right handers to Kim. It's not like The Orioles are responsible for rehabbing Pearce next year.

Safe to say both our deadline deals were absolute failures?

Pearce was only meant to be an upgrade over Reimold. Other than that he was just to be insurance for the corner guys and be able to give them a day off every now and again. I'd say he's done that.

Back to the OP, Pearce had no business being in the game last since he was hurt. It's not like he's ok enough to play today. Reimold is playing. I know Buck hates extra guys(all of a sudden), but I really wish we'd have called up D.Alvarez and Mancini. We can shift the OF around so that Mancini could DH vs LHP with Pearce being hurt. Reimold has been terrible since April.

Pearce was only meant to be an upgrade over Reimold. Other than that he was just to be insurance for the corner guys and be able to give them a day off every now and again. I'd say he's done that.

Back to the OP, Pearce had no business being in the game last since he was hurt. It's not like he's ok enough to play today. Reimold is playing. I know Buck hates extra guys(all of a sudden), but I really wish we'd have called up D.Alvarez and Mancini. We can shift the OF around so that Mancini could DH vs LHP with Pearce being hurt. Reimold has been terrible since April.

Dan should have told Buck that.

Are these guys who were playing in Norfolk and didn't get called up down in instructional league or have then been shutdown for the season?

Mancini as a DH against lefties is probably our best option if Pearce is going to be unavailable.

Archived