Would you trade Britton?

jgjbanker

Not only will it not be discussed IMO, the thought will never enter the heads of DD, Buck and PA. Questions from the media to that effect, should any be asked, I predict will be met by a puzzled expression on Duquette's part and one of mild irritation on Buck's. The only elephant in the room is the one in the imaginations of people posting on Orioles fan sites. At the moment there is no indication of any plan to do anything other than try to field the best possible team 2017. That this should cause so much angst is beyond remarkable.

If they're honest with themselves, they'll see Boston & MFY getting younger and cheaper while we get older and more expensive. Further, there is 0% chance this organization ponies up the money to sign Machado. He will 100% walk for a pick if they don't trade him prior. The system is basically empty...

I agree that Buck will never endorse this move and I further agree that it won't happen, but you wanna talk about naming your price.... this offseason is the time to do it. If Machado walks for a draft pick, heads should absolutely roll given the state of this organization, top to bottom.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Britton is not a rebuild. The Yankees traded their two best relievers and still might end up ahead of the Orioles before the season is out. The Orioles could compete next year without Britton. Their ability to compete thereafter might be contingent on what they can get for Britton. If a top 5 farm system offers two of their top prospects the Orioles would be a joke if they didn't take it.

This 100%. Not sure why it's been overlooked. The Skanks showed exactly how it's done. They are getting younger-- and frankly-- better. Conversely, both this year, next year, and maybe 2018, we are costing more each year to put the same product from the year out there.. only everyone's a year older.

If they're honest with themselves, they'll see Boston & MFY getting younger and cheaper while we get older and more expensive. Further, there is 0% chance this organization ponies up the money to sign Machado. He will 100% walk for a pick if they don't trade him prior. The system is basically empty...

I agree that Buck will never endorse this move and I further agree that it won't happen, but you wanna talk about naming your price.... this offseason is the time to do it. If Machado walks for a draft pick, heads should absolutely roll given the state of this organization, top to bottom.

At the end of last season and during the first part of the offseason I argued against offering Wieters the QO, against resigning Davis and for trading Britton to partially restock the farm system. In other words, buying into one more mediocre season in return for another "window". I didn't anticipate how vigorous the market would be for top-flight relievers and I will always think it was a large missed opportunity. But that ship sailed.

By the end of the offseason, considerably more money than any of us envisioned had been added to the budget and also a clear message had been sent that nobody in a decision-making capacity was even slightly interested in anything other than pushing for the postseason - with the current core of players, and during the current management term. The bet on this season and next was made prior to Opening Day 2016. I don't see anyone moving to hedge their bet at this stage. That a leads me to think they have been honest with themselves and are under no illusions. Given PA's age, I would be surprised if that changed.

How this team has been built is fair game for criticism, especially how starting pitching has been addressed since the end of last season. In that regard I get the unhappiness because to a significant extent I share it. What I don't get is the proliferation of threads like this where an exciting and competitive season is used as grist for ceaseless complaining rather than the foundation for six or seven months of almost daily fun.

I hope I never do understand that impulse, but yeah, this "window" will close probably after next season. Britton and Machado's highest trade value might not be realized while they're on the Orioles. Do we really need to hear about how terrible it's going to be every day between now and then?

I hope I never do understand that impulse, but yeah, this "window" will close probably after next season. Britton and Machado's highest trade value might not be realized while they're on the Orioles. Do we really need to hear about how terrible it's going to be every day between now and then?

Which is why I think the best time to trade Britton/Machado would be mid next season if the O's are struggling. It makes no sense to trade them in the offseason when the O's can put them to work at least the first half of 2017 and see if by chance, depending on whatever other moves the team makes, the team is better than this year. I'm encouraged by the progress of minor league talent like Cody Sedlock, so why rush the idea of trading them when neither are free agents until 2019?

Which is why I think the best time to trade Britton/Machado would be mid next season if the O's are struggling. It makes no sense to trade them in the offseason when the O's can put them to work at least the first half of 2017 and see if by chance, depending on whatever other moves the team makes, the team is better than this year. I'm encouraged by the progress of minor league talent like Cody Sedlock, so why rush the idea of trading them when neither are free agents until 2019?

This is the only scenario that I can see where one or both might be traded. I still think it's unlikely regardless of how good a case can be made for doing so. DD is playing for this next contract (not in Baltimore) and Buck is playing for the WS that's eluded him so far. I doubt either of them is thinking much longer than a couple of years down the road at most.

The Orioles didn't sign Chris Davis and Darren O'Day to big deals just to turn around the next season and offload their best young players. If there was any inkling of trading Britton and Machado, the Chris Davis deal never happens IMHO.

I believe that Buck & DD believe that the O's core of Davis, Schoop, Machado, Jones, Britton, O'Day, Brach, Tillman, Gausman and Bundy are a long term championship caliber core. Assuming Buck & DD stay with the team, I am confident we'll see that team on the field for as long as possible and that the O's will make every effort to resign Machado long term.

Whether that's the right move or not is up for discussion, but I simply don't see the Davis / O'Day signings as logical pre-cursors to a fire sale to restock the farm system.

This is the only scenario that I can see where one or both might be traded. I still think it's unlikely regardless of how good a case can be made for doing so. DD is playing for this next contract (not in Baltimore) and Buck is playing for the WS that's eluded him so far. I doubt either of them is thinking much longer than a couple of years down the road at most.

Yep. And with the steady improvement of Gausman and the unexpected performance of Bundy as a so far solid starter it's hard to imagine reloading to again become a 4th place team due to the unloading of their two most effective players. Maybe the O's trade Britton, but Britton and Manny? The team would have to be pretty much out of it by next July first. Without either of them the Yankees immediately leapfrog the O's. The good news for the O's is that Boston's pitching is more questionable than it looks, the Yankees are probably playing over their heads right now, and Toronto's window is starting to close unless there are big re-signings or big changes to their roster in the offseason.

Trading Britton is not a rebuild. The Yankees traded their two best relievers and still might end up ahead of the Orioles before the season is out. The Orioles could compete next year without Britton. Their ability to compete thereafter might be contingent on what they can get for Britton. If a top 5 farm system offers two of their top prospects the Orioles would be a joke if they didn't take it.

Britton is far superior to the guys the Yankees traded. Trading Britton and Machado would be like trading Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera after the 1998 season. Unless DD never wanted to work again he wouldn't do anything that stupid.

Trumbo for Clevenger was pretty good too.

Gotta veto crediting Duq with the Trumbo trade since they reason he had Clevenger in the 1st place was cause he acquired him in the Arrieta trade, which will go down as one of the worst trades in the history of baseball.

Britton is far superior to the guys the Yankees traded. Trading Britton and Machado would be like trading Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera after the 1998 season. Unless DD never wanted to work again he wouldn't do anything that stupid.

I agree that the O's shouldn't trade them in the offseason, but comparing them to two future first ballot Hall of Famers is a bit much. And the Yankees won the World Series in Jeter's and Rivera's second Big League seasons, while the O's are into Manny's and Rivera's 5th and 6th Big League seasons respectively and only came close to making a World Series once. The Yankees were really fortunate for their stars to align so early in Jeter's and Rivera's careers with all the talent surrounding them. In fact, by comparing Manny and Britton to Jeter and Rivera could make for a good argument to trade Manny and Britton if you believe the O's don't have the ability to surround them with the talent to get to the WS the way the Yanks were able to surround their core players (Jeter and Rivera may not have been considered core players until later). Still, it does feel premature to discuss trading Manny and Britton when we're tied for the wildcard with Gausman, Bundy and Jimenez all pitching pretty darn well.

Gotta veto crediting Duq with the Trumbo trade since they reason he had Clevenger in the 1st place was cause he acquired him in the Arrieta trade, which will go down as one of the worst trades in the history of baseball.

Well, Arrieta was one of the worst pitchers in the league that year at the time he was traded. It's much harder to make a good trade using an under-performing player when you're under pressure to make a move because your team has a shot. But yeah, Scott Feldman? If there's any consolation it's that Arrieta has not been that impressive since the All Star break this year.

The O's would have just offered someone else. DD targeted Trumbo and got his guy. He has made some terrible mistakes but you have to give him some credit.

I agree that the O's shouldn't trade them in the offseason, but comparing them to two future first ballot Hall of Famers is a bit much. And the Yankees won the World Series in Jeter's and Rivera's second Big League seasons, while the O's are into Manny's and Rivera's 5th and 6th Big League seasons respectively and only came close to making a World Series once. The Yankees were really fortunate for their stars to align so early in Jeter's and Rivera's careers with all the talent surrounding them. In fact, by comparing Manny and Britton to Jeter and Rivera could make for a good argument to trade Manny and Britton if you believe the O's don't have the ability to surround them with the talent to get to the WS the way the Yanks were able to surround their core players (Jeter and Rivera may not have been considered core players until later). Still, it does feel premature to discuss trading Manny and Britton when we're tied for the wildcard with Gausman, Bundy and Jimenez all pitching pretty darn well.

It is a bit much, not to mention the vast financial differences between the two markets, then and now.

The Orioles aren't going to sink $500MM into two players. If that happens I will eat my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The head in question will be out the door at the same time.

Archived