Dan Connolly: What Constitutes A Successful Season For The Orioles?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say it is successful already.

No way. When you give Davis that deal, when you give up yet another first rounder to acquire a pitcher, sign a 30 something year old reliever to a 4 year deal, you are signaling that this is your window. Not making the playoffs during your window is not a successful season. It can't be.

No way. When you give Davis that deal' date=' when you give up yet another first rounder to acquire a pitcher, sign a 30 something year old reliever to a 4 year deal, you are signaling that this is your window. Not making the playoffs during your window is not a successful season. It can't be.[/quote']

I don't care about windows. I care about exciting baseball in September.

I don't care about windows. I care about exciting baseball in September.

The Yankees are playing exciting baseball in September, and they didn't leverage their future. They actually added to it.

The Orioles have diminished their ability to play exciting baseball in the future. That's what you do when you give up draft picks and sign long term contracts to 30+ year old baseball players. Which is fine, such is what you have to do to win it. But you better be actually in a position to win it. And that means making the playoffs. If at the end of the day you are no better of a position than the Yankees, and it put your future in the hole to get there, you weren't successful.

The Yankees are playing exciting baseball in September' date=' and they didn't leverage their future. They actually added to it.

The Orioles have diminished their ability to play exciting baseball in the future. That's what you do when you give up draft picks and sign long term contracts to 30+ year old baseball players. Which is fine, such is what you have to do to win it. But you better be actually in a position to win it. And that means making the playoffs. If at the end of the day you are no better of a position than the Yankees, and it put your future in the hole to get there, you weren't successful.[/quote']

Well, we now know one person who will be mad even if the Orioles win the World Series.

I say it is successful already.
No way. When you give Davis that deal' date=' when you give up yet another first rounder to acquire a pitcher, sign a 30 something year old reliever to a 4 year deal, you are signaling that this is your window. Not making the playoffs during your window is not a successful season. It can't be.[/quote']

Both of these are correct, at least given what I think both of them meant. After 14 long seasons this is what we all long for...17 game stretch of nail biting edge of the seat baseball. (Yes, Id rather be up 10 but stay with me). But it will sting, a lot, if the O's are not playing at home after the regular season. And while it would be no shame to be close, given the fact that even the lowly TB Rays are a tough team, and still miss, doing so would draw critics directly to the SP questions that existed in Feb.

If you think about it, surviving the latest road trip at 6-3 has essentially erased the board. 4 teams can win the AL East and the list of Wild Card teams is almost as long as an arm. Our final assessment of the season can find us anywhere from a dominate close to take the East, to a close but no cigar fade into a just missed 4th place.

It may be too early to say successful.

But my oh my is it

Exciting, Riveting, Exhilarating, Suspenseful and most of all...totallly FASCINATING!

Prior to the seasoan if you told me on September 15th that this club would be in the playoff hunt...I'd say it was a success. However after being in 1st place for most of the season...I'd say it's a success if they win the division. If they win the wild card, I'd be happy, just slightly disappointed. But that's more of a function of the 1 card WC playoff game being ridiculous (it should be a 3 game set).

Archived