There is one person and one person only responsible for last night's loss

FanSince88

And his name is Yovani Gallardo.

Walking the first two batters of the game was unforgivable.

I really hope we can get rid of both Yovani and Miley in the offseason. They are killing this team.

I know a lot of people will blame DD for signing them, but they have so massively underperformed even their mediocre prior stats that it's hard to blame DD too much. They are simply washed up slackers, apparently, who don't seem to care that their team is in the thick of a playoff chase. If they did, they wouldn't be doing idiotic things like walking the first two batters of a game...who does that??

Wright and Wilson aren't good, but I can't see how they could be any worse than what Gallardo and Miley are giving us at this point.

Jimenez is at least showing some heart down the stretch and regardless of how he pitches from here on out, I believe he's earned the right to come back next season.

Make the 2017 5th starter spot an open competition among our prospects. Maybe Chris Lee is ready.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gallardo certainly deserves a sizable chunk of the blame, but there were certainly a few other culprits in the O's dugout, including the manager, who left Yovani in too long when it was clear as crystal that he had NOTHING to offer last night. And while the offense scored 6 runs, they had many opportunities to score plenty more than that, where something as simple as a slow roller or a fly ball would've scored a run. Teams, especially teams like the O's, DO win games 9-7 sometimes.

I'm dumbfounded that Buck might send Miley to the mound again on Sunday, though. Gotta try someone else at this point.

It would be nice to see this team execute a sac fly once in a while. Man at 3rd with one out in the 9th and we get an untimely (aren't they all?) strikeout from Trumbo. And then 3 more pitches to Chris Davis (as per usual) to end the game.

That was a tough loss to take. Boy, Gallardo was bad. Miley was incredibly bad in Boston. This will be tough to overcome such debacles from our back-end starters and expect to win the division. Still only a game back.

Hate to break it to you, but Boston came back last night with a walk off win in the bottom of the 9th. We're 2 back.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/73891/red-sox-hand-yankees-soul-crushing-loss-with-dramatic-ninth-inning-rally

MF-in NYY.....:angryfire:

P.S. MF-in Gallardo....MF-in unable to get runs in when we have 2nd and 3rd and no outs....MF-in horrible AB's by Trumbo and especially Davis in the bottom of the 9th...ugh. What a frustrating night.:angryfire:

Hate to break it to you, but Boston came back last night with a walk off win in the bottom of the 9th. We're 2 back.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/73891/red-sox-hand-yankees-soul-crushing-loss-with-dramatic-ninth-inning-rally

MF-in NYY.....:angryfire:

Trying to be a glass-half-full kind of fan, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. I was hoping for a split of that series, as the Yanks have gotten too close lately. A nice demoralizing loss by NY is always fun to watch. Now we need them to bounce back and win 2 of the next three (while the O's finish the Rays series 3-0), and we'll be tied for first by Sunday night. Good plan?

Trying to be a glass-half-full kind of fan, I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. I was hoping for a split of that series, as the Yanks have gotten too close lately. A nice demoralizing loss by NY is always fun to watch. Now we need them to bounce back and win 2 of the next three (while the O's finish the Rays series 3-0), and we'll be tied for first by Sunday night. Good plan?

I'll take it. As the good Capt. Picard used to say, "Make it so!"

Gallardo was terrible. He was terrible when he was signed. DD made a very poor choice. Oakland signed Rich Hill, DD signed Gallardo. There is the difference in being in first place right there. The inability of our power hitters, Machado, Davis, Trumbo to not put a bat on the ball at all when we had second and third nobody out and then doing it again and then one final time in the ninth was just inexcusable. If a hitter like Hardy or Kim were up right there, they would have put a bat on the baseball rather than just striking out, often with the bat on their shoulder- Davis. I just wonder if Davis's hand is the issue as to why he is not swinging at close pitches. Is he shying away from any pitch except the ones that he is relatively sure he can drive? I don't know but the inability to keep the ball in play or sacrifice or just hit a grounder cost us an extremely important game and may end up costing the pennant altogether. Nothing we can do except go to the next game, but this team is soooooo flawed, it is amazing that they have won what they have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallardo was terrible. He was terrible when he was signed. DD made a very poor choice. Oakland signed Rich Hill, DD signed Gallardo. There is the difference in being in first place right there. The inability of our power hitters, Machado, Davis, Trumbo to not put a bat on the ball at all when we had second and third nobody out and then doing it again and then one final time in the ninth was just inexcusable. If a hitter like Hardy or Kim were up right there, they would have put a bat on the baseball rather than just striking out, often with the bat on their shoulder- Davis. I just wonder if Davis's hand is the issue as to why he is not swinging at close pitches. Is he shying away from any pitch except the ones that he is relatively sure he can drive? I don't know but the inability to keep the ball in play or sacrifice or just hit a grounder cost us an extremely important game and may end up costing the pennant altogether. Nothing we can do except go to the next game, but this team is soooooo flawed, it is amazing that they have won what they have.

Oh come on. Look at their track records! You're really going to sit there and slam DD for signing Gallardo over Rich-freakin-Hill? That's the worst kind of revisionist history. I can only imagine the uproar and disdain from fans if Rich Hill would've been our big offseason FA signing. Hill is having a nice season that I don't think anyone would have expected, and Gallardo is definitely underperforming - but seriously, I dunno how you can sit there and say that DD should've known that Hill would've been a better signing than Gallardo.

Oh come on. Look at their track records! You're really going to sit there and slam DD for signing Gallardo over Rich-freakin-Hill? That's the worst kind of revisionist history. I can only imagine the uproar and disdain from fans if Rich Hill would've been our big offseason FA signing. Hill is having a nice season that I don't think anyone would have expected, and Gallardo is definitely underperforming - but seriously, I dunno how you can sit there and say that DD should've known that Hill would've been a better signing than Gallardo.

I said Gallardo was the one pitcher I absolutely did not want them to sign from the time the offseason started. Then when his medicals turned out bad, they STILL signed him. Yes, I would have signed Hill every time and twice on Sunday, plus he was a lefthander. NOT revisionist for me and I can show you the posts. But it is what it is. But DD needs to be graded for the things he has done well, i.e. Trumbo, Cruz, Chen, etc. and for the things he has not done well- namely get this team that has a window for a championship over the top, in large part, due to inept starting pitching by 2 and at times 3 of the starting five.

Rich Hill over Gallardo last season was clearly a better signing at the end of 2015. You're saying that no one expected Rich Hill to have a nice 2016? Did you not see what he did in 2015? Your post is way off the mark.

I really hope we can get rid of both Yovani and Miley in the offseason. They are killing this team.

I know a lot of people will blame DD for signing them, but they have so massively underperformed even their mediocre prior stats that it's hard to blame DD too much. They are simply washed up slackers, apparently, who don't seem to care that their team is in the thick of a playoff chase. If they did, they wouldn't be doing idiotic things like walking the first two batters of a game...who does that??

Wright and Wilson aren't good, but I can't see how they could be any worse than what Gallardo and Miley are giving us at this point.

Jimenez is at least showing some heart down the stretch and regardless of how he pitches from here on out, I believe he's earned the right to come back next season.

Make the 2017 5th starter spot an open competition among our prospects. Maybe Chris Lee is ready.

Oh brother. It's one loss man. If the O's win two of three of their remaining games I believe they are still in good shape for the post season.

There were a good portion of people on this board as well as some in the media that were against the Gallardo signing because of the glaring decline in the velocity/K's and increasing walks since 2010.

DD is 100% responsible for ignoring the warning signs and signing him anyway. Especially since it costs us a 1st rounder.

People said the exact same things in August about Ubaldo and Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson.

Certainly there is a lot of blame that can be passed around but surprised nobody mentioned Machado not fielding the broken bat slow roller. Could have been a possible double play. If not a double play they at least get the runner at second with one out. Forsythe's hit would have put runners at first and second with 2 outs and maybe we get out of the inning. Also, cant believe that was not ruled an error.

Archived