The difference between the Porcello and Rodriguez games

Frobby

Last night, I really didn't fault our hitters. Porcello threw nothing but strikes, almost all in good locations, and we had no choice but to swing at some of them.

Tonight, I felt we gave EdRod a ton of help swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. I'm much more frustrated tonight than I was last night.

o

1st INNING:

Jones: ) 1-Pitch Flyout

Davis: ) 5-Pitch Strikeout

Machado: ) 5-Pitch Popout

(11 PITCHES) oooooo (11 PITCHES, TOTAL)

2nd INNING:

Trumbo: ) 3-Pitch Flyout

Schoop: ) 4-Pitch Groundout

Wieters: ) 4-Pitch Strikeout

(11 PITCHES) oooooo (22 PITCHES, TOTAL)

3rd INNING:

Mancini: ) 2-Pitch Flyout

Hardy: ) 3-Pitch Strikeout

Reimold: ) 7-Pitch Strikeout

(12 PITCHES) oooooo (34 PITCHES, TOTAL)

4th INNING:

Jones: ) 6-Pitch Strikeout

Davis: ) 1-Pitch Lineout

Machado: ) 4-Pitch Walk

Trumbo: ) 2-Pitch Lineout

(13 PITCHES) oooooo (47 PITCHES, TOTAL)

5th INNING:

Schoop: ) 5-Pitch Flyout

Wieters: ) 7-Pitch Strikeout

Mancini: ) 3-Pitch Home Run ) (RBI)

Hardy: ) 6-Pitch Single

Reimold: ) 2-Pitch Groundout

(23 PITCHES) oooooo (70 PITCHES, TOTAL)

6th INNING:

Jones: ) 6-Pitch Popout

Davis: ) 1-Pitch Single

Machado: ) 2-Pitch Groundout

Trumbo: ) 8-Pitch Strikeout

(17 PITCHES) oooooo (87 PITCHES, TOTAL)

7th INNING:

Schoop: ) 2-Pitch Double

Wieters: ) 1-Pitch Lineout

Mancini: ) 5-Pitch Groundout

Hardy: ) 4-Pitch Single ) (RBI)

Kim: ) 6-Pitch Single

Jones: ) 3-Pitch Flyout

(21 PITCHES) oooooo (108 PITCHES, TOTAL)

8th INNING:

Davis: ) 2-Pitch Flyout

Machado: ) 6-Pitch Popout

Trumbo: ) 4-Pitch Strikeout

(12 PITCHES) oooooo (120 PITCHES, TOTAL)

9th INNING:

Schoop: ) 4-Pitch Strikeout

Wieters: ) 1-Pitch Groundout

Mancini: ) 6-Pitch Walk

Hardy: ) 3-Pitch Groundout

(14 PITCHES) oooooo (134 PITCHES, TOTAL)

o

We chase high heat. Reminded me of when MadBum dominated KC in the World Series. We all know this team is what it is but that was unacceptable.

Jones swung at some pitches like they were in the sky. Not a good showing. Hopefully things are better tomorrow.

O's are clearly pressing. If anything, it's evidence of how much they want to win even though it's adversely affecting them.

They need to relax. Take a strike. Work the count. Go up the middle and to the opposite field...but it's a lot easier to say those things from the outside looking in than when you're in the final two weeks of something you've been building to for 7 months.

Last night, I really didn't fault our hitters. Porcello threw nothing but strikes, almost all in good locations, and we had no choice but to swing at some of them.

Tonight, I felt we gave EdRod a ton of help swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. I'm much more frustrated tonight than I was last night.

The O's swing at 32.1 percent of pitches out of the strike zone according to Fangraphs, tied for 5th worst in the majors. The Blue Jays swing at only 27.1 percent of pitches outside of the strike zone, best in the majors, while the Red Sox swing at 29.4 percent of pitches outside of the zone (9th best in MLB).

So in this case our eyes do not deceive us--the Orioles really do have lousy plate discipline, and tonight it cost them.

O's are clearly pressing. If anything, it's evidence of how much they want to win even though it's adversely affecting them.

They need to relax. Take a strike. Work the count. Go up the middle and to the opposite field...but it's a lot easier to say those things from the outside looking in than when you're in the final two weeks of something you've been building to for 7 months.

Want to win? LmAo. How much they want a big new contract.

Buck has no idea how to put together a lineup right now.

Davis in the 2 hole against a lefty?

Refusing to hit Kim at the top of the lineup and using schoop there for weeks at a time?

Not moving trumbo down in the order when he's been terrible for quite a while now.

There are things Buck could do to stir the offense, like hit Kim 1st, move jones around and drop trumbo, but he's not going to do it and we will be lucky to sneak into the wild card.

Our inability to work a count and have solid consistent approaches at the plate is maddening. No one outside of Kim is consistently getting deep into counts so of course, Buck will now bury him on the bench.

Archived