Why Buck didn't pinch run for Hardy

sportsfan8703

Everyone remember the Sunday game against Minnesota last season.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=350823101

I was blaming him during the game but listened to him in the presser and remembered that game. Hardy came out for a PR and then Manny made an error at SS and Paredes made one at 3rd.

As much as I was mad, I see his point about doing it in a 2-1 vs. a 2-2 game. Kudos to Connely for asking, at least I think it was him. The explanation was good and reminded me of that game last year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Janish is on the team

As is Flaherty

You play to win the game. PR for Hardy. It was piss poor decision making. For some reason Buck thinks Hardy is fast. He is not.

During the game, on my phone at work, I didn't even think of Janish, but Flash is fine at SS too. Very good I think.

It's September and we have expanded rosters.

Not only do we have Bourne and Stubbs on the team to pinch runners we have janish and flaherty as defensive replacements. The two situations aren't even remotely comparable.

It was an awful decision that very well could have, but thankfully didn't, cost us the game.

For Buck to excuse his awful decision making is even worse because it implies that he doesn't even think he was wrong.

Newsflash, he absolutely was and still is and using this lame hypothetical as defense only further compounds the mistake.

The game was "Tied". The Orioles were NOT the visitor. Over the last 14 days the best starter (13 Games) for hitting and defense has been J J Hardy (.390/.457/.512/.969). So with no guarantees of scoring in that situation, posters are willing to second guess the decision to not Pinch Run for Hardy and taking your BEST player over the last two weeks totally out of the lineup. INTERESTING!!

The game was "Tied". The Orioles were NOT the visitor. Over the last 14 days the best starter (13 Games) for hitting and defense has been J J Hardy (.390/.457/.512/.969). So with no guarantees of scoring in that situation, posters are willing to second guess the decision to not Pinch Run for Hardy and taking your BEST player over the last two weeks totally out of the lineup. INTERESTING!!

So do you think Buck should have PH for Kim?

So do you think Buck should have PH for Kim?

NO, I would not have and wondered as to why. I could see using Bourn as a Pinch Runner for Kim IF he had gotten on base but I did not see the reason for the Pinch Hitting in that situation. Up to that point in the game, Kim had 4 plate appearances with 2 walks and a strikeout. There was no platoon advantage in using Bourn over Kim, there was only the fact that Bourn was batting .583/.583/1.167/1.750 in 12 plate appearances with 2 HR, 1 DBL and 5 RBI against Hudson so I do question the decision to have him BUNT unless he did it on his own.

NO, I would not have and wondered as to why. I could see using Bourn as a Pinch Runner for Kim IF he had gotten on base but I did not see the reason for the Pinch Hitting in that situation. Up to that point in the game, Kim had 4 plate appearances with 2 walks and a strikeout. There was no platoon advantage in using Bourn over Kim, there was only the fact that Bourn was batting .583/.583/1.167/1.750 in 12 plate appearances with 2 HR, 1 DBL and 5 RBI against Hudson so I do question the decision to have him BUNT unless he did it on his own.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering.

You aren't hitting Bourn over Kim, he was put in to bunt. It makes no sense otherwise.

Archived