'If' We Trade Bedard

Greg Pappas

I had considered the Mets, but their staff is already good and I'm not that high on their pitching prospects. I like Milledge, but Gomez and Martinez have struggled this year. Not a bad idea, but Bedard could get more elsewhere.

Edit: I do like RHP Kevin Mulvey. He can be a good one.

You mean former Villanova Wildcat Kevin Mulvey.:002_scool:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean former Villanova Wildcat Kevin Mulvey.:002_scool:

Hehe, an alum I presume? :) In my own personal draft, I think it was in round 2, I took him over Ryan Adams. Adams has promise, so we'll see how this would've turned out.

I would be delighted to get Mulvey though, as he just seems to me to be a pitcher, in the truest sense of the word. He has an assortment of quality pitches, and he knows how to use them. Not over-powering, but real solid potential.

I think trading Bedard in a one-for-one no matter who you are getting back is a dumb trade. I have stated that it is too early to trade Bedard, but if you did the Orioles better get 2-3 solid close prospects. The Orioles have way to many needs to trade in one-for-one trades, and way too few good trade commodities to do it.

Now I realize someone is going to say what about Bedard for Vladdy...you wouldn't do that? I would say that 1) you wont get the type of major league talent you want and 2) if you do get offered an upton type prospect I still think you are putting too many eggs in one basket. Bad injuries happen...and if one did after the trade the Orioles would be in an even worse position.

I understand your view on this, but injuries go two ways. Is Upton, a position player, more likely to be injured than Bedard, a pitcher?

Again, one for one trades of this magnitude are uncommon and unlikely, I was just trying to point out that a talent like Upton's is at the very top of the talent scale. Meaning that he projects to be a multiple all-star type performer. I'd take that for Bedard, even one for one. The DBacks wouldn't give up more than that, if they'd even consider it at all.

In a similar vein, would Detroit trade Cameron Maybin to get Bedard? Detroit could certainly use Bedard IF we were to deal him.

It couldn't be any further from *your* reality.

Who are you to say that you're right and I'm wrong?

Because i have paid attention to what top pitchers have gone for over the years and i can not think of a starter who was traded at the deadline, with Bedard's ability and contract situation.

There will be a ton of teams after him and for you to think all we can manage is a top prospect, a decent prospect and a pitcher who was a throw away as early as last year, is ridiculous.

We have mentioned many trades in this thread that should give anyone reason to believe that Bedard will fetch, at least, 2 top prospects and another very solid one(and or young player already in the majors)

We have mentioned many trades in this thread that should give anyone reason to believe that Bedard will fetch, at least, 2 top prospects and another very solid one(and or young player already in the majors)

Fixed that for ya!

Yes...I agree with you. I would hold off and look for a package like that, and I believe we can get it. If we can't, then we hold on to Bedard...very simple.

Fixed that for ya!

Yes...I agree with you. I would hold off and look for a package like that, and I believe we can get it. If we can't, then we hold on to Bedard...very simple.

Right and the other thing is we have all the leverage. There is no rush to trade Bedard. We have him for a few more years.

There is a thread I posted yesterday about trading DCab. I'd much rather have Bedard in the rotation when we are contending (if that ever happens)than DCab. Also I think trading Bedard now means that you pretty much given up hope you can sign him long term, plus he could increase his trade value next year.

As for the Mets, they always like to make a splash ...Omar Minaya is known for that (Colon for Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips trade). Milledge doesn't have good plate discipline, hasn't had a consistent BA above .300, and hasn't displayed much power, plus his defense can be shaky at times and he's a horrible baserunner despite the speed. When you can't be a regular for the Mets then there's a problem. He's very overrated

Yea your right when you can't be a regular on maybe the best roster in the NL there would be no chance of him breaking through on a powerhouse squad like the O's.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because i have paid attention to what top pitchers have gone for over the years and i can not think of a starter who was traded at the deadline, with Bedard's ability and contract situation.

There will be a ton of teams after him and for you to think all we can manage is a top prospect, a decent prospect and a pitcher who was a throw away as early as last year, is ridiculous.

The comp I like best is Mark Mulder.

Another top lefty who, at the time he was traded, had 2 years left before free agency.

Now Mulder was traded during the offseason, not at the deadline, so there's that.

Of course Mulder also had a Cy Young runnerup under his belt, and was a couple years younger than Bedard (I know that matters a lot to you).

Anyway, with those parameters established, what Mulder was traded for was a good-not-great ML-ready starter prospect (Haren), a great hitting prospect (Barton) with flaws (no defensive position; years away from MLB), and a generic RH reliever (Calero).

I note that none of those three players had ever been listed on BA's top 100 list when they were dealt.

Now let's look at the Mets.

Milledge is hands down better than anyone in that STL package. He's been a top 100 prospect for three straight years, including #s 11 and 9 overall. And he's ML-ready.

Perez and Sosa are unlike anyone in the STL package. On the one hand they've shown flashes of greatness (especially Perez). On the other hand, they're close to free agency. I'd suggest a guy like Perez could be flipped to a contender for a guy like Haren, if you wanted to go that route.

And the last part, 5-10 range prospect vs. Calero, favors the prospect.

for you to think all we can manage is a top prospect, a decent prospect and a pitcher who was a throw away as early as last year, is ridiculous

Barton + Haren + Calero fits that description pretty darn well.

Altogether, my offer includes a much better prospect than Barton, a pitcher that you could either use for a year and a half or could land you a younger guy like Haren, and a prospect more valuable than Calero, all for a guy with less of a resume than Mulder had at the time.

The comp I like best is Mark Mulder.

Another top lefty who, at the time he was traded, had 2 years left before free agency.

Now Mulder was traded during the offseason, not at the deadline, so there's that.

Of course Mulder also had a Cy Young runnerup under his belt, and was a couple years younger than Bedard (I know that matters a lot to you).

Anyway, with those parameters established, what Mulder was traded for was a good-not-great ML-ready starter prospect (Haren), a great hitting prospect (Barton) with flaws (no defensive position; years away from MLB), and a generic RH reliever (Calero).

I note that none of those three players had ever been listed on BA's top 100 list when they were dealt.

Now let's look at the Mets.

Milledge is hands down better than anyone in that STL package. He's been a top 100 prospect for three straight years, including #s 11 and 9 overall. And he's ML-ready.

Perez and Sosa are unlike anyone in the STL package. On the one hand they've shown flashes of greatness (especially Perez). On the other hand, they're close to free agency. I'd suggest a guy like Perez could be flipped to a contender for a guy like Haren, if you wanted to go that route.

And the last part, 5-10 range prospect vs. Calero, favors the prospect.

Barton + Haren + Calero fits that description pretty darn well.

Altogether, my offer includes a much better prospect than Barton, a pitcher that you could either use for a year and a half or could land you a younger guy like Haren, and a prospect more valuable than Calero, all for a guy with less of a resume than Mulder had at the time.

The A's didn't have a bunch of teams bidding for Mulder...That is the difference.

But his comp is close.

And i don't think anyone is trading any top prospect or young player for Perez or Sosa any quicker than they would for Guthrie.

HUH?

Why wouldn't a bunch of teams be interested in a guy like Mulder during the offseason, when rosters/budgets are in transition, and it's cake to make room for another guy???

You're nuts if you don't think Beane had a whole slew of GMs calling about Mulder.

HUH?

Why wouldn't a bunch of teams be interested in a guy like Mulder during the offseason, when rosters/budgets are in transition, and it's cake to make room for another guy???

You're nuts if you don't think Beane had a whole slew of GMs calling about Mulder.

No one knew he was even available.

I am not saying other teams weren't in on Mulder but i guarantee you that there would be more teams in on Bedard and the fact that it is at the deadline makes him even more marketable.

Plus, Bedard doesn't have back questions surrounding him like Mulder did.

Barton had a far higher value than Milledge whose stock has really fallen--and it is a deadline deal rather than off-season. The STL package is far better in my opinion.

LOL...

Barton was a single-A prospect with no position, that BA didn't think enough of to put in their top 100.

Milledge is a ML-ready 5-tool player with elite-level rankings two years in a row.

LOL...

Barton was a single-A prospect with no position, that BA didn't think enough of to put in their top 100.

Milledge is a ML-ready 5-tool player with elite-level rankings two years in a row.

But he is overrated IMO.

I wouldn't do a deal with the Mets without getting Gomez or Martinez back.

BTW, weemnj is right though...Milledge has seen his stock fall.

No one knew he was even available.

I am not saying other teams weren't in on Mulder but i guarantee you that there would be more teams in on Bedard and the fact that it is at the deadline makes him even more marketable.

Plus, Bedard doesn't have back questions surrounding him like Mulder did.

So you think Beane made one of his most valuable players available, but didn't bother to tell anyone, and just took the first offer he got?

You can't possibly believe that.

And your "guarantee" about more teams being in on Bedard is just more 100% unfounded speculation and orange-tinted wishful thinking, with no supporting evidence nor any basis in fact.

Archived