'If' We Trade Bedard

Greg Pappas

There is a thread I posted yesterday about trading DCab. I'd much rather have Bedard in the rotation when we are contending (if that ever happens)than DCab. Also I think trading Bedard now means that you pretty much given up hope you can sign him long term, plus he could increase his trade value next year.

As for the Mets, they always like to make a splash ...Omar Minaya is known for that (Colon for Sizemore, Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips trade). Milledge doesn't have good plate discipline, hasn't had a consistent BA above .300, and hasn't displayed much power, plus his defense can be shaky at times and he's a horrible baserunner despite the speed. When you can't be a regular for the Mets then there's a problem. He's very overrated

Can we get this deal for Bedard? :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might get Minaya to give you Pelfrey and Milledge for Bedard.

He'd have to be pretty motivated to add another of his top 10 prospects on top of that though.

So it gets back to the question of whether you want the talent you acquire for a guy like Bedard spread across 1, 2 or 3 (or more) bodies.

FWIW, Ollie Perez is not exactly chopped liver. His career best WARP3 is higher than Bedard's (7.7 to 7.1), and this year he's at 3.9 compared to Bedard's 6.0. Sosa's a cut below, but he's still nothing to thumb your nose at... 3.4 WARP3 so far.

I think I'd rather get Milledge and Pelfrey than Milledge and two guys of less talent. And again, I don't see why they'd trade Perez.

I do agree that it's likely unreasonable to expect to get another top prospect along with the two aforementioned guys.

I'm am the point where I'd have no problem trading Bedard as long as we're going to seriously rebuild, which means Tejada, Hernandez, Roberts, and any other vet with decent value should be traded as well. Lets just stockpile as many talented 25 and under players and look towards the future.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Bedard without trading at least most of our other valuable vets.

Exactly how I feel.

Daniel Cabrera won't get you nearly the return in a trade versus Erik Bedard. Daniel Cabrera has yet to be a league average pitcher in his four years pitching in the majors. Erik Bedard is an elite pitcher now.

The likelihood of Erik Bedard signing long term with the Orioles is pretty low. He'll go free agent after 2009 to maximize his payout. And he will likely sign with a high revenue contender. Bedard doesn't seem enamored with the Orioles in any way.

If you don't trade Bedard now, you run the risk of an injury that really dampens Bedard's trade value. His trade value is very high now. It's not going to get much higher. It's more likely that an injury or a decline in performance lowers Bedard's trade value than for his trade value to go up very much.

Excellent post. We see these points the same way.

First of all, i wanted the Orioles to go after Perez when the Mets got him. I made a post saying he was a great guy to go after.

However, turnaround or not, to think either him or Sosa(when both were castoffs last year) should be big pieces in a trade for Bedard is a joke.

Dave's inital offer also wasn't giving us another top prospect for him either.

No doubt that some team will come to the table with 2 top prospects and another guy in the top 8-15 or a solid young player already in the majors.

Agreed. The Mets would want to keep Perez for a playoff run. Perez doesn't exactly fit with the Orioles' needs. Perez will be a free agent after 2008.

A Met prospect going the Orioles way makes a lot more sense.

I would take Perez in the deal then turn around and trade him also.

First of all, i wanted the Orioles to go after Perez when the Mets got him. I made a post saying he was a great guy to go after.

However, turnaround or not, to think either him or Sosa(when both were castoffs last year) should be big pieces in a trade for Bedard is a joke.

Dave's inital offer also wasn't giving us another top prospect for him either.

No doubt that some team will come to the table with 2 top prospects and another guy in the top 8-15 or a solid young player already in the majors.

The only person looking at them as "big pieces" is you.

As I explained already, Milledge is the big piece.

Taking Sosa or Perez instead of Pelfrey or Humber is designed to a) net the O's another 5-10 range prospect, b) give the O's a guy to plug right into Bedard's slot, and c) help the Mets manage their rotation and payroll situations.

If you don't want to keep Sosa/Perez, nobody's forcing you to. Just flip 'em.

Taking Sosa or Perez instead of Pelfrey or Humber is designed to a) net the O's another 5-10 range prospect, b) give the O's a guy to plug right into Bedard's slot, and c) help the Mets manage their rotation and payroll situations.

Milledge is not that big of a piece anymore. Pelfrey and Humber are not 5-10 prospects for the Mets, they are top 5 so I'd rather have either one in a trade. If the Mets want Bedard, they better include Fernando Martinez

Your idea of what we could get for Bedard couldn't be any further from reality.

Archived