MLB should ban alcohol at the Rogers Center for the rest of the postseason

FanSince88

I realize it was only one bad apple tonight who threw the beer can at Kim.

But I have never seen that sort of fan behavior at any baseball game at any level, let alone in the postseason.

Honestly, I think a fair response by the MLB here would be to insist that the Rogers Center cease all alcohol sales for the remainder of the 2016 postseason. Sure, the "Rogers Corporation" will lose some money. But for the sake of the integrity of the game, this crap cannot happen again. And maybe the idiot fans up there will get the message that this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. I don't care what they do at their NHL or third-tier league hockey games. This is Major League Baseball, and it demands a much higher level of respect than the barbarism we witnessed tonight.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I have never seen that sort of fan behavior at any baseball game at any level, let alone in the postseason.

Honestly, I think a fair response by the MLB here would be to insist that the Rogers Center cease all alcohol sales for the remainder of the 2016 postseason. Sure, the "Rogers Corporation" will lose some money. But for the sake of the integrity of the game, this crap cannot happen again. And maybe the idiot fans up there will get the message that this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. I don't care what they do at their NHL or third-tier league hockey games. This is Major League Baseball, and it demands a much higher level of respect than the barbarism we witnessed tonight.

I never saw something like that occur in live play when a play is going to make a play. Usually it might occur after a play or when the player is off the field.

It wasn't just one bad fan though. Sure, it was one fan that threw the drink. But it's the responsibility of the other fans to point out the jerk who is throwing stuff to have them thrown out. But noone had the guts to do it (probably because they were all inebriated themselves and thought it was funny).

I hope the Rangers sweep them.

The team and the fans are loathsome. As I stated in the game thread, my family and I have gone to many O's games in Toronto and we have been taunted, sworn at, had food thrown at us, and just generally been treated miserably. My sister and I were actually considering trying to go to the game tonight but didn't want to endure that. Given how the game ended I'm glad we didn't go, it would have been a nightmare.

I agree. That would be an appropriate response.

Totally agree. The threat of being brained by a pound can of beer affected the players and angered them, which took away from their game. Has anybody been arrested? Did any of the fans point out the criminal who committed the attempted assault? Is there any video of the stand that could be used to identify people? Were there ushers watching the fans? In international soccer the response to an assault is to have some future home games played in an empty stadiums. That is a good idea. Also, shouldn't the players association have something to say abotu this?

I don't think you can penalize an entire stadium full of people for one irresponsible act. You might as well ban alcohol in every major league stadium. If they could not identify the person who threw the bottle, that's a real shame, because he ought to do jail time for that.

Totally agree. The threat of being brained by a pound can of beer affected the players and angered them, which took away from their game. Has anybody been arrested? Did any of the fans point out the criminal who committed the attempted assault? Is there any video of the stand that could be used to identify people? Were there ushers watching the fans? In international soccer the response to an assault is to have some future home games played in an empty stadiums. That is a good idea. Also, shouldn't the players association have something to say abotu this?

Well, I don't see, these sports leagues here don't seem to care about that stuff. Remember when a head coach danced onto the playing field on Thanksgiving and ruined a kick returner from getting a TD?

This thread reads like sour grapes about an isolated incident. It was a water bottle. Do we even know alcohol was involved? They should do everything they can to identify the fan, make his name public and ban him from all sporting events in Toronto. Banning alcohol for everyone else is like taking a blow torch when you could use a fly swatter.

How does that make sense? Might as well just ban fans from the post season with logic like that. If they didn't serve alcohol at the game I wouldn't go. I am guessing you don't drink or something.

From what I've read, fans (plural) had been yelling racial slurs at Kim and Jones. You also heard the crowd booing Buck for coming out of the dugout, and it appeared they were booing Jones for yelling into the stands. Might've been one "bad apple" that threw the can, but there was quite a lot of scum in those stands.

There's a small part of me that wishes the can had nicked him in the shoulder or something. By it missing, while stupid, won't be regarded as big a deal as it should.

I do agree about banning the alcohol at that craphole.

This thread reads like sour grapes about an isolated incident. It was a water bottle. Do we even know alcohol was involved? They should do everything they can to identify the fan, make his name public and ban him from all sporting events in Toronto. Banning alcohol for everyone else is like taking a blow torch when you could use a fly swatter.

It was a can (at least half full) of beer. And the whole "don't ruin it for the rest of us" is great - except this isn't the first time their "fans" have been absolute morons.

From what I've read, fans (plural) had been yelling racial slurs at Kim and Jones. You also heard the crowd booing Buck for coming out of the dugout, and it appeared they were booing Jones for yelling into the stands. Might've been one "bad apple" that threw the can, but there was quite a lot of scum in those stands.

There's a small part of me that wishes the can had nicked him in the shoulder or something. By it missing, while stupid, won't be regarded as big a deal as it should.

I do agree about banning the alcohol at that craphole.

So you think the racial slurs were just from alcohol. I drink beer at every game I attend I have never thrown anything or called anyone racial slurs.

Archived