Scott Coolbaugh

LarryBigbie

Barry Bonds is available. He knew how to take some pitches in his day.

I've been saying he could do wonders for Chris Davis. Plus the players might respect him enough to listen to him. I know it's been mentioned here that Coolbaugh works with them on having better approaches, but they're just not carrying it over into games.

Can't fire the players. So you have to fire the coach. Especially since he can't get through to them.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coolbaugh has to go. This team needs a new voice. He's been here 2 years.

Option A: Fire Coolbaugh. Bring in a hitting coach that the players will respect.

Opton B: Keep Coolbaugh. Shake the team up. Bring in a vet that has a good approach. Let Mancini and Sisco give this lineup a spark.

Are you saying the players don't respect Coolbaugh or are you just saying to replace him for the sake of replacing him?

Hasn't it been said on here that Coolbaugh tells the guys to have better approaches and that they just don't carry that into games?

In a way that is not respecting him.

So we have to bring in someone they will listen to, or get different players.

Hasn't it been said on here that Coolbaugh tells the guys to have better approaches and that they just don't carry that into games?

Some/many of these players are not going to listen to anybody. Self-confidence is the hallmark of a professional athlete and they are often convinced that only they know best. They have a lot on the line and sometimes coaches are just white noise. In many cases, the only way that a hitting coach's methods are going to be adopted is if he is backed up by the head coach. If AJ found that swinging at pitches in the dirt caused him to bat in the #8 spot, perhaps he would reconsider his approach. He was a terrible leadoff hitter this year but never paid the price, at least not publicly. If Buck did speak to him about it, it had zero impact. Frankly, I think that Buck treats AJ with too much deference and the rest of the team sees that. This undermines the entire coaching staff.

Three recurring themes throughout the history of Orioles Hangout:

1) Every Oriole manager is a complete idiot when it comes to running a bullpen, even the one (Buck) who's consistently managed the pen to league-leading and even historic WPAs.

2) All Oriole third base coaches are the dumbest third base coaches in the history of third base coaches, except Cal Sr. who never had anyone thrown out at the plate ever.

3) Every hitting coach is an idiot, and needs to be replaced with someone who uses coercion/violence/waterboarding/hypnosis to convince established major league hitters to alter their basic approaches and become patient high-average hitters with power, great two-strike contact skills, and the ability to lay down a beautiful bunt at any moment.

Outstanding post!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I know pointing fingers is the thing to do after an emotional loss, and naturally Buck takes the blame after some questionable decisions down the stretch - especially after no Britton. I'm just as upset, but the last thing I want is Buck out.

One guy I'd love to see gone though is Coolbaugh. What impact has this guy made on our offense. Our hitters have ZERO approach. If you have told us in June that our staff would allow 2 runs through 10 innings, we'd have all jumped for joy. What gives?

What impact does any hitting coach really have? You want to change the approach change the players. No hitting coach making $100,000 is getting Adam Jones or Chris Davis to make fundamental changes in their game.

Who's that, Barry Bonds? ARod? :rolleyestf:

What impact does any hitting coach really have? You want to change the approach change the players. No hitting coach making $100,000 is getting Adam Jones or Chris Davis to make fundamental changes in their game.

I don't think paying your hitting coach $10,000,000 would give him the ability to turn one type of hitter into another, any more than a doctor could turn a llama into an elephant.

Archived