Build next years team

higgybaby

Assuming all 6 starters are healthy, do you trade Gallardo, Jimenez, or Miley? Can you trade any of them? Bundy showed signs of wearing down this season and he only pitched 109 innings. If you start him off in the rotation and he pitches well, he could be headed for a 180 inning year. Makes a lot of sense to start him in the bullpen (IF all 6 starters are healthy), see what you have come June and either insert him for an under performer, an injured starter, or one who is traded.

I think Ubaldo gets traded this offseason. I can't see them bringing him back after last night. I agree that they need to watch his (Bundy's) innings, but I think they can keep him in the rotation all season and keep him around 150-160, which would still be a big jump, but would be manageable IMO. I said he'd be their 3rd starter, and I think in terms of performance, he will be, but I could see them making him the 5th starter so that he can be skipped every now and then when off days make it so they can roll with 4 starters for a couple weeks at a time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think last night has got anything to do with Ubaldo coming back or not. If another team buys into his September, maybe the O's can deal him. Of course, with Miley and Gallardo, maybe the Orioles are better off believing in Ubaldo's September as well.

That's what I'm counting on. Combine that with last night, and I just think all parties will agree that a change of scenery is needed. I felt horrible for Ubaldo last night, the expression on his face as he walked off the field was tough to see. I honestly don't think he can come back from that and pitch effectively here, but we'll see I guess. I guess I kind of equate if to Billy Cundiff and Lee Evans....there was just no way the Ravens could bring them back the next year after what happened, and I think Ubaldo falls into that same situation.

I would seriously consider trading J.J. Hardy. He was worth 2 WAR this season and has one year left on his contract along with a vesting option in 2018. I feel like he's one of the best trade chips on this team and you could get some decent value back from him.

You really think you are going to get something for Hardy?

Build next year's team or tear it apart? If the idea is to compete and contend next year, there is just a little tinkering that can be done.

An outfield rotation with Kim, Rickard, and Bourne on the corners is reasonable. Offer QO's to Trumbo and Wieters. Try Mancini at DH. Resign Pearce (what's his timetable?) to backup up 1B and platoon with Kim. Rickard and Bourn can share RF. Flaherty and a catcher on the bench.

Go into next year with the starting rotation in tact. If all are healthy you have to seriously consider starting Bundy off in the bullpen and then making a trade by June to free up a spot for Bundy.

RF Bourne/Rickard

LF Kim/Pearce

3B Machado

1B Davis

CF Jones

DH Mancini

2B Schoop

SS Hardy

C Joseph

Bench (Pena,Flaherty,Pearce,Rickard)

Starters

Tillman

Gausman

Jimenez

Miley

Gallardo

Bullpen

Britton

Brach

O'Day

Hart

Givens

Drake

Bundy

Not sexy but the defense it improved in RF but we lose power. Mancini can hopefully make up for Alvarez at DH. Donwgrade at catcher but Joseph isn't as bad as he looked this year. He and Pena can provide close to the defense that Wieters did and we can hop for a 600+ OPS from the two.

This probably leaves some budge room for a catcher and/or a RF. Otherwise no big (and stupid) moves.

Pearce better not be in the plans for next season.

I would seriously consider trading J.J. Hardy. He was worth 2 WAR this season and has one year left on his contract along with a vesting option in 2018. I feel like he's one of the best trade chips on this team and you could get some decent value back from him.

Not only does Hardy have full no trade protection as a result of qualifying as a 10/5 player his contract is written so his option vests if he is traded.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think last night has anything to do with the Orioles decisions on Ubaldo this winter and I think it has ZERO effect on how he pitches next season if he's an Oriole. He might stink but it will be just because he stinks not because he couldn't get over last night.

Fair enough. :-)

If he's healthy.

You could say that about any player. As of now, he seems healthy. Obviously an injury could occur in ST, but let's hope not. Hardy stabilizes the entire IF defense, IMO. They were not a better defensive team with Machado at SS this season while he was out, IMO. But when he came back, it all fell into place defensively.

You could say that about any player. As of now, he seems healthy. Obviously an injury could occur in ST, but let's hope not. Hardy stabilizes the entire IF defense, IMO. They were not a better defensive team with Machado at SS this season while he was out, IMO. But when he came back, it all fell into place defensively.

I think the odds of Hardy missing OD are significantly higher than say Machado or Schoop.

I don't think there are too many holes on this team, but the holes this team does have are significant.

The way I see it, without any moves, we have the following pieces:

C- Chance Sisco

1B- Chris Davis

2B- Jonathan Schoop

SS- J.J. Hardy

3B- Manny Machado

LF- Hyun-Soo Kim

CF- Adam Jones

RF-

DH- Trey Mancini

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Rickard

That leaves RF as a clear hole and C as a place needing a fill in until Sisco is ready. I'd explore bringing Wieters back, but I'd venture to guess there's a better one-year option out there given prices, etc.

On the mound, you have a rotation of: Tillman, Guasman, Bundy, Jimenez, Miley and Gallardo. You also have a bullpen of Britton, O'Day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Drake, Wright, Wilson, etc.

Obviously, you need another real starter, but I think there are enough options for the pen (including those in competition for the final starting spot--assuming we sign someone else) that you don't need to address the pen outside of a few non-roster invitees and minor league depth guys.

As such, for me this off season, my main priorities are (in this order):

1. EXTENDING MANNY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

2. Bring in a very strong RF to be the lead-off man with high OBP and good base running.

3. Bring in a strong #2 (or better) starter that's not in the midst of trending downward (Gallardo) nor has shown as many inconsistencies as Jimenez.

4. Sign/trade for a quality catcher to bridge the gap to Sisco who is a good defender and solid OBP guy, power isn't necessary

Obviously there are other upgrades that can be made, but this is the priority.

I think the odds of Hardy missing OD are significantly higher than say Machado or Schoop.

I wouldn't disagree with that given his injury history. But that's not really the point is it? The question was would he be traded, and IMO, the answer is no. He's penciled in as the starting SS next season.

Here are the 10 players I think will not be on the O's major league roster to start the 2017 season.

Trumbo - FA - QO -

McFarland - Release

Duensing - FA

Reimold - FA

Pearce - FA

Bourn -FA

Stubbs - FA

Wieters - FA

Pedro Alvarez - FA

Janish - FA

I would seriously try to extend Manny. If we could offer an opt out it wouldn't be to hard IMO. But I doubt we are allowed to do so, nor would we be permitted to trade him. So I would try to upgrade RF looking at Fowler, Reddick, or John Jay in that order. I would offer Wieters a 3 year deal with a club option for a fourth. If he turns it down I pick up a vet. C like Soto or Suzuki to eventually mentor Sisco. I would platoon Bourn/Rickard in LF and Mancini/Kim at DH. If I cant trade one of Ubaldo, Miley or Gallardo, then I put Miley in the pen over Bundy.

Archived