Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

Adam Jones was -10 in both UZR/150 and DRS this season. That coupled with his continued downward trend in wRC+ and worst offensive season since his rookie year made him a below average player this season. fWAR had him at 1.4 wins while rWAR was even worse at 1.1. Despite being on a team friendly deal he was worth about 5 million less than his salary this year. That's concerning since I don't see him going anywhere until he's essentially in a wheelchair.

The outfield defense was bad all around this year. The corners were bad no matter who was out there. A staff of flyball pitchers and bad outfield defense is not typically an ideal strategy.

Also, Schoop was just about average defensively by UZR/150 and DRS. Does average count as "solid"?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Jones was -10 in both UZR/150 and DRS this season. That coupled with his continued downward trend in wRC+ and worst offensive season since his rookie year made him a below average player this season. fWAR had him at 1.4 wins while rWAR was even worse at 1.1. Despite being on a team friendly deal he was worth about 5 million less than his salary this year. That's concerning since I don't see him going anywhere until he's essentially in a wheelchair.

The outfield defense was bad all around this year. The corners were bad no matter who was out there. A staff of flyball pitchers and bad outfield defense is not typically an ideal strategy.

Also, Schoop was just about average defensively by UZR/150 and DRS. Does average count as "solid"?

Sure, an average MLB second baseman is solid.

Not real solid.

And he's fun to watch.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20161006&content_id=205196670&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

If you read this article Duquette is quoted as saying that we are going to continue the 2016 approach...Lot's of power, solid defense and a great bullpen.

If this is the case, I think he needs to go. It seems he is blind to the weaknesses of this team...starting pitching and hitters who are more concerned about consistently making solid contact and getting on base rather than trying to hit the ball 450 feet every time up.

So it looks as though we haven't learned from our struggles and will be doomed to be a borderline play-off team that basically has no chance to win a championship even if we do make it to the play-offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll go. After 2018. He'll go.

The good thing is Duquette is known to lie a lot. Remember all of those times he said one of his biggest priorities was to have a team with better on-base percentage and then he'll sign a guy like Jimmy Paredes and have him on the ML roster for the entire year.

I too am not a DD fan... when I hear him make his excuses, I want to scream... like his perennial one that "everyone is looking for the same thing" (like starter and high OBP)... Hey DD, so, how about YOU doing your job and beat out those other teams instead of complaining how tough it is to get these quality players.... OR do us a favor and move on.

I too am not a DD fan... when I hear him make his excuses, I want to scream... like his perennial one that "everyone is looking for the same thing" (like starter and high OBP)... Hey DD, so, how about YOU doing your job and beat out those other teams instead of complaining how tough it is to get these quality players.... OR do us a favor and move on.

I expect a tightened belt. And that Dan is doing the exact job he is paid to do.

Sure, an average MLB second baseman is solid.

Not real solid.

And he's fun to watch.

Fun to watch when he runs into one, sure. His approach is the opposite of fun to watch, and he's certainly not fun to watch when he's slashing .225/.252/.391 for half the season.

Duquette and ownership are quite happy with the results. Why change? Attendace was down slightly but cable viewership was up 35%. It's a winning formula. Keep the fans interested for the full season and hope for a miracle.

Well said from their perspective. They aren't Boston or NY where they need to win in the playoffs to satisfy people. Although, I think "solid" defense departed this year.

Well he doesn't sign whomever he wants. He needs approval from the owner. I am sure he would have like to sign Cespedes, Monana, Fowler and Price. But like anyone he has constrains put on him.

I would not be surprised at all if they sign Wieters. I would be a bit surprised if they sign Trumbo, but not as much as I was last winter when they signed Davis. If they do those things, I think they would like to get somebody like Fowler and then go with what they have.

I would not be surprised at all if they sign Wieters. I would be a bit surprised if they sign Trumbo, but not as much as I was last winter when they signed Davis. If they do those things, I think they would like to get somebody like Fowler and then go with what they have.

I guess if Wieters takes an AAV cut in pay they might find the money to do that.

But honestly I will be surprised if there is another significant jump in payroll.

I watched the games.

I told you what I saw.

You evidently didn't watch the games and wanted me to hunt up some video evidence.

I showed you statistical evidence of his decline this season in lieu of spending my time hunting through game clips.

I'm with Corn on this. Just from the eye test alone, watching 150-some games, I don't think Jones was as good in CF this year as in previous years.

The defensive stats, which I always am very cautious about putting a lot of stock in, back that up.

I saw more balls over his head this year. I saw fewer "gems" from him this year.

Archived