Apparently the Tigers almost gave Chris Davis a $200 Million contract last offseason.

FanSince88

Is playing right field such an important thing for Davis - or not playing right field? Because I would personally love to see him patrolling right field, and Mancini our regular first baseman. Davis is pretty athletic, and he's got a cannon that's basically going to waste at 1B.

It would make so much more sense. You would immediately improve your OBP and make space for Mancini, which needs to be done, IMO. You would fill your hole in right field. Trumbo did okay out there, but Davis would be better, I think.

And you could possibly re-sign Alvarez and Pearce and let them platoon at DH. Or just resign Pearce and let Sisco man the lefty DH spot, spend Alvarez money elsewhere.

This idea that Davis told them he's only playing first - or he wouldn't want to play outfield - that's crazy. For $160 million, he should be willing to play ball girl.

I have no idea if he is or is not willing to play in the outfield on a daily basis for the O's.

He would not have been playing first base for the Tigers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I believe it inhibited his ability to get around on a good fastball at times. We saw some pretty bad swings.

And he knew it, so he swung less in hopes of walking, and had an inordinately high number of Ks looking.

I agree with this. Plus it likely just was a distraction constantly. And hitting a baseball is quite hard enough without your hand throbbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is playing right field such an important thing for Davis - or not playing right field? Because I would personally love to see him patrolling right field, and Mancini our regular first baseman. Davis is pretty athletic, and he's got a cannon that's basically going to waste at 1B.

It would make so much more sense. You would immediately improve your OBP and make space for Mancini, which needs to be done, IMO. You would fill your hole in right field. Trumbo did okay out there, but Davis would be better, I think.

And you could possibly re-sign Alvarez and Pearce and let them platoon at DH. Or just resign Pearce and let Sisco man the lefty DH spot, spend Alvarez money elsewhere.

This idea that Davis told them he's only playing first - or he wouldn't want to play outfield - that's crazy. For $160 million, he should be willing to play ball girl.

I haven't seen any metrics but I kept hearing all year that he was playing gold glove first base. If so, leave him there.

Personally I believe it inhibited his ability to get around on a good fastball at times. We saw some pretty bad swings.

And he knew it, so he swung less in hopes of walking, and had an inordinately high number of Ks looking.

That's an illuminating take on what the effects were.

I sure wished they had signed CD. Better them to be under an albatross than the

O's.

Why do people insist Davis had a bad season? He was more valuable than most players on the team. Second best position player, in fact. Better year than Trumbo or Schoop, or Wieters or Hardy or Jones.

Why do people insist Davis had a bad season? He was more valuable than most players on the team. Second best position player, in fact. Better year than Trumbo or Schoop, or Wieters or Hardy or Jones.

Because out of 23 qualified first baseman he was the 17th best hitter and his WAR is based on defensive metrics that are unreliable in small samples and already something that people here don't trust a lot.

And yes, because he fell from 5.6 fWAR to 2.7.

I agree defensive metrics can be flimsy; however, they seem to be more accurate for infielders, and this is a season where the metrics and the eye test agree Davis had a very good year with the glove. Maybe that changes next year and combined with an offensive dip he loses his value. We can only hope that is not the case.

Archived