How much would you be willing to pay for MASN al la carte

atomic

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/6/2017 at 3:38 PM, McNulty said:

Won't work because you are in market?  A VPN service (usually $5ish a month) will get you around that.

By VPN service you mean an illegal workaround like unlocator which prevent MLB.tv from knowing your location.  

1 hour ago, POR said:

By VPN service you mean an illegal workaround like unlocator which prevent MLB.tv from knowing your location.  

Eh, if MLB was really so concerned about it, they wouldn't allow a vpn on their service. Netflix doesn't, for example. The NFL allows it too. They know the blackout rules hurt their products and are relics from decades ago. It's not illegal either. 

On 11/2/2016 at 2:00 PM, jabba72 said:

MLB.tv is $80 a year for your favorite team with blackout restrictions. I guess i would pay that much for MASN getting the extra coverage.

I'm a bit confused. I have to pay for a package that has MASN since in southern VA the O's are blacked out on MLB.tv. Is there any other way to get the O's games?

4 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I'm a bit confused. I have to pay for a package that has MASN since in southern VA the O's are blacked out on MLB.tv. Is there any other way to get the O's games?

No, unless you use a VPN with MLB.tv as I have been posting about, or you use Reddit streams. 

On 2/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, McNulty said:

Your exact same setup will work with the hola! extension on chrome/firefox.  Free VPN.  

Gonna give this a try once the season starts. Is it best used on a computer's (my laptop) Chrome or Firefox browser or is an iPad Chrome or Firefox ok to use for this? Thanks for the heads up. Very encouraged if this works. I'd then just project my device via my Apple TV AirPlay mirroring and watch on my big screen. Would save me hundreds of bucks on a DirecTV upgrade. 

Edit - answered my own question. The Hola page said "any device". 

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Gonna give this a try once the season starts. Is it best used on a computer's (my laptop) Chrome or Firefox browser or is an iPad Chrome or Firefox ok to use for this? Thanks for the heads up. Very encouraged if this works. I'd then just project my device via my Apple TV AirPlay mirroring and watch on my big screen. Would save me hundreds of bucks on a DirecTV upgrade. 

Edit - answered my own question. The Hola page said "any device". 

I haven't tried it on a iPad yet.  I'm a little curious about that myself.

It definitely works.  I lived in New Orleans for the 2015 season, and they are in the blackout zone for Astros/Rangers games.  I had to use it when the O's were playing either of those, and it worked great.  I also used it for the NFL Game Pass this year to live stream games.

Its also not the only free VPN out there, but it seems to be the most user friendly.  Very easy to toggle on/off as needed.

One thing to remember: switch it to Canada or Mexico for MLB games.  The generic US default won't get you around the blackout sometimes.

Edit: One more thing: the apple airplay was choppy sometimes.  Chromecast seemed to work better.

57 minutes ago, McNulty said:

I haven't tried it on a iPad yet.  I'm a little curious about that myself.

It definitely works.  I lived in New Orleans for the 2015 season, and they are in the blackout zone for Astros/Rangers games.  I had to use it when the O's were playing either of those, and it worked great.  I also used it for the NFL Game Pass this year to live stream games.

Its also not the only free VPN out there, but it seems to be the most user friendly.  Very easy to toggle on/off as needed.

One thing to remember: switch it to Canada or Mexico for MLB games.  The generic US default won't get you around the blackout sometimes.

Edit: One more thing: the apple airplay was choppy sometimes.  Chromecast seemed to work better.

Hurray! Thanks for this. The money I've spent here in NC on satellite service the last 9 years specifically just to have MASN would have bought me several ticket plans had I lived in Northern VA, PA or MD. Any savings from now on are greatly appreciated.   

Archived