O's acquired Logan Verrett from Mets for cash

birdreg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Larry18 said:

This is a nice trade. The Orioles gave up no prospects, no veterans and still acquired an arm that may be useful in 2017. I also think Buck will get more out of him than Terry Collins.

They've acquired him twice now, and I'm still not getting the fascination.  Shake a minor league free agent tree, and a couple dozen Verretts fall off.  

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

They've acquired him twice now, and I'm still not getting the fascination.  Shake a minor league free agent tree, and a couple dozen Verretts fall off.  

Out of those two dozen the O's are hoping to find a couple that can actually pitch in the majors effectively.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

You should have shown that tree to Dan before he signed Gallardo. :(

Verrett’s breaking ball (slider and curveball) is a viable MLB strikeout pitch, inducing an extremely high 31.4% miss/whiff rate (swing and miss rate).  The breaking ball shows sharp, late, downward movement and has enough velocity to deceive the hitter into thinking the pitch is a four-seam fastball.  The reason behind defining it as a breaking ball is because it’s tough to decipher the difference between his slider and curveball.

At times, Verrett’s two-seam fastball seemed to move 10 to 14 inches with sharp 10 to 5 downward movement.  Although he didn’t show consistent fastball command on the corners of home plate, Verrett kept his pitches between ankle and thigh high.

Staying low in the strike zone with two pitches having sharp downward movement makes it nearly impossible for opposing hitters to lift the baseball for hard hits and extra base hits.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/08/logan-verrett-scouting-report.html/

13 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

ESPN is quoting Roch and says Orioles wont tender Worley.

Several posters in OH have already said as much. :)

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/31521/mlb-rumor-central-orioles-to-non-tender-vance-worley

I'll be interested to see if Worley gets more than his projected arbitration number in the open market.

11 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

Sounds more like an acquisition to me. 

You're right.  Based on results, he's worth the 3.3 million and might get a little more on the open market.  However, with the bullpen there is more at play.  What's hurting Worley is the fact that we're going to have to carry one of Ubaldo/Miley/Gallardo in the bullpen.  So that leaves a pen of:

Britton, O'day, Brach, Givens, Hart, SP above, opening.

If we bring Worley back we would no longer have that open spot to rotate through fresh arms.  The only people in the pen with options would be Givens and Hart.  Both of those guys shouldn't be going anywhere.  Maybe Hart in a pinch or if he struggles.  

Plus we're so stacked in the pen that Worley wouldn't be pitching in high leverage situations for us.  I don't know if its worth it to pay a guy 3.3 million when they are primarily only going to pitch when the team is losing.  That's for guys like Drake, Wilson, Wright, Garcia, Bridwell, Gunkel.  

• 3 months later...

o

6 OUTS: o 3 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Strikeout

SCOTT LOGAVERRETTo)o (vs. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, 3/07) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2

H:))))l  1 ll(1 Single)

R:ll)lll) 0

BB:olll)0 

SO:l))l 1

Pitches: l) (Unavailable) 0

2017 ERA: l)  1.50 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.167 0(Spring Training)