Some milestones Adam Jones is likely to pass in 2017

Frobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nick left a team coming off an ALCS appearance to go and play for a team that was known to be rebuilding.  Jones took a team friendly deal in 2012 and has been our leader during all the winning.  Nick had made his money(65 million), he chose to leave a winner.  So that makes him a ...

You're omitting the extension Nick signed in 2009, coming off a 6 WAR season, at a time when the team was awful.     His deal was just as team-friendly as Jones's, and probably more so, at the time it was signed.   But it turned Nick's best seasons were before he signed his deal, whereas Adam's best seasons were after he signed.    That's the way it goes sometimes.    

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is some talk among fans that Jones will be traded or let go as a free agent after the 2018 season.  I think the O's extend him next off season.   If that happens his life time Orioles numbers will climb for years to come.

There's an excellent chance Jones will be extended.   

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It would make up for them getting a good deal out of the first extension.

Yup, it will almost certainly erase quite a bit of the surplus value they got out of this one. 

He wasn't worth his salary last year and I don't have high hopes for the next 2 either. Anything past that and I am not even sure he's still a viable major league starter for the length. His decline has been pronounced.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is some talk among fans that Jones will be traded or let go as a free agent after the 2018 season.  I think the O's extend him next off season.   If that happens his life time Orioles numbers will climb for years to come.

He'll be 33 in the 2019 season.  I could see him staying with us whether we are winning or rebuilding.  He could really put up some HOF type numbers with us.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He would make an interesting case for a statue, if he stays.

I suppose. The rest are HOFers and right now Jones is just inside the top 20 Orioles position players all time. I don't have much hope for his future career value, so I'm not sure how much higher he can move up.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

He did just have his career high in BB's last year.  39.  It would be nice to see him healthy all year.  He's been banged up the last two seasons.  

With his style of play and Buck's willingness to send him out there banged up I would expect him playing hurt to continue.

Maybe the new 10 day DL will encourage Buck not to send out the walking wounded.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

I suppose. The rest are HOFers and right now Jones is just inside the top 20 Orioles position players all time. I don't have much hope for his future career value, so I'm not sure how much higher he can move up.

Sure, I am interested to see if they lower the current standard to include Jones.

I am also curious if the topic of Mussina getting added comes up if he ever goes into the Hall with an O's cap.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

He did just have his career high in BB's last year.  39.  It would be nice to see him healthy all year.  He's been banged up the last two seasons.  

His offense has declined in 4 straight. He was a 1 win player in 2016. Below league average at the plate for the first time since 2008.

17 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Yup, it will almost certainly erase quite a bit of the surplus value they got out of this one. 

He wasn't worth his salary last year and I don't have high hopes for the next 2 either. Anything past that and I am not even sure he's still a viable major league starter for the length. His decline has been pronounced.

For another $5.33 Million we could have had Jason Heyward.

Archived