Some milestones Adam Jones is likely to pass in 2017

Frobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I for one love how folks are writing off a 27 year old with four seasons of 5.8 or greater rWAR.

Obviously anyone paying attention who wasn't some silly stat nerd could see he was terrible and was going to be terrible. They all knew he would go from a 20 percent above average bat to a 30 percent below average bat. It was clear as day without your head in the WAR clouds.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I for one love how folks are writing off a 27 year old with four seasons of 5.8 or greater rWAR.

For another $12.83 Million we could have Jason Heyward over Adam Jones in 2017.

In your opinion you think Jayson Heyward will have been a better investment for the grand total of $17.168 Million MORE than the Orioles will/would pay Adan Jones in 2016 and 2017??  Keep in mind that Heyward can OPT OUT after this upcoming season.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Jones usually gets off to hot starts that prop up his numbers for the whole year.  He has a career .811 OPS in March/April.  This year he was banged up.  He put up a .626 OPS in March/April and a .668 OPS in May.  I think we'll see him rebound next year.  

That explains the 4 year trend too?

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

In your opinion you think Jayson Heyward will have been a better investment for the grand total of $17.168 Million MORE than the Orioles will/would pay Adan Jones in 2016 and 2017??  Keep in mind that Heyward can OPT OUT after this upcoming season.

I still don't understand what Jason Heyward has to do with this thread.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

Keep mind mind OPT OUTS don't bother me.  I'd rather a player leave while still productive than stay through their decline, particularly if I can QO them.

I'd have liked to have signed Heyward when he was a free agent.  I may be proven to have been very wrong.  It's a bit early to tell.

That doesn't mean I have any issues with the extension Jones signed.

I would not want to extend Jones at anything close to market rates.

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

His offense has declined in 4 straight. He was a 1 win player in 2016. Below league average at the plate for the first time since 2008.

I think injuries played a role.   And he has declined in 3 straight, not 4.    I think he's got 3-4 more productive seasons in him, but we'll see.  

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He would make an interesting case for a statue, if he stays.

I'm in favor of keeping that standard extremely high.  You need to be in the Hall of Fame and play/manage on a World Series winner for the O's.    

This is going to be Jones' tenth season as an Oriole... seems like the trade was made yesterday.  He's the kind of guy, based on his diminishing returns, who I hope retires as an Oriole, and there's a fair chance of that.  He is already more valuable to the Orioles than any other team because his value extends past his baseball production.

Archived