Baltimore again passed over for All Star Game

weams

12 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

If MLB wants to punish the Orioles for the MASN dispute they should find another way. Having an All Star Game in the city would be incredible for the city and people in town, especially after what happened in the streets in 2015. Get the city excited and working together. "Petty" is, in my eyes, a nice way of putting it.

I think this is a darn fine way to do it.  What do you suggest that could do that would be better?  Stuff like messing with the schedule would be over the line.  This hurts, it sends a clear message but doesn't effect anything on the field.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think this is a darn fine way to do it.  What do you suggest that could do that would be better?  Stuff like messing with the schedule would be over the line.  This hurts, it sends a clear message but doesn't effect anything on the field.

I have no idea as I haven't given it much thought. I just believe that an event like this could help the city tremendously, more than any other city, and I feel it's wrong to punish the city because of the current situation.

1 minute ago, nevadaO said:

I have no idea as I haven't given it much thought. I just believe that an event like this could help the city tremendously, more than any other city, and I feel it's wrong to punish the city because of the current situation.

Not sure why it would help Baltimore more than it will help Cleveland.

I haven't live up there in a long time, convince me.

MLB agreed to the original structure of the MASN deal then tried to alter it. Angelos sued and has a pretty good case. I hope he keeps them in Court for the next decade and wins a huge settlement. My opinion of Manfred keeps getting lower and lower. Let them keep the ASG.

48 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I can buy the geography thing, but look at this. Baltimore has the least amount of All-star games in cities that have had teams since 1954. We only have two in 62 years of existence! 

I wonder why the O's didn't host a game between 1958 and 1993.     There actually were two all-star games per season from 1959-62, and there were only 16 teams until 1961, 20 teams until 1969, and 24 teams until 1977.    You'd have thought we would have hosted one by the early 80's.

On the other hand, Tampa has never hosted one, Oakland only hosted one back in 1987, Toronto only hosted once back in 1991, and the Dodgers haven't hosted since 1980.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

MLB agreed to the original structure of the MASN deal then tried to alter it. Angelos sued and has a pretty good case. I hope he keeps them in Court for the next decade and wins a huge settlement. My opinion of Manfred keeps getting lower and lower. Let them keep the ASG.

I certainly hope the O's win the case and I am not a fan of Manfred.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you show much love for someone who has you tied up in litigation?

Well, if they were very strong lawyers, I'd think twice before antagonizing them further, that's for sure.  Not sure how Manfred thinks this will help to arrive at any kind of settlement that is friendly to his side.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why it would help Baltimore more than it will help Cleveland.

I haven't live up there in a long time, convince me.

The crime rate and unemployment rate are slightly higher in Baltimore, and the infrastructure is behind and over budget. While Cleveland isn't better in those areas by much at all their poverty rate (34% to B'more 24%) is dropping, and there is a $1 trillion plan in place to improve the city's transport infrastructure.

Also, Cleveland hasn't had riots that (further) tore the city apart in over 50 years. 

But honestly this isn't about whether or not Baltimore is more deserving than Cleveland; both cities are in rough situations and could use the added revenue for that week. This is about MLB reneging on the deal they made with the Orioles in order to get the Nationals in their backyard.

14 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

The findings of the court don't support you.    The court found that the arbitrators' decision was a reasonable interpretation of the agreement, but threw it out because of the Nats using a law firm that previously represented MLB on other matters.   

I'd argue that it's the Orioles who have tried to alter the deal.    The deal specified the MLB-appointed panel that would arbitrate any disputes, and also a process for resolving any appeals from that decision without going to court.    The Orioles have violated that procedure and taken the dispute to court, letting the whole thing play out in public, which MLB had never agreed to.    It's not surprising at all that MLB is ticked off about it.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The findings of the court don't support you.    The court found that the arbitrators' decision was a reasonable interpretation of the agreement, but threw it out because of the Nats using a law firm that previously represented MLB on other matters.   

I'd argue that it's the Orioles who have tried to alter the deal.    The deal specified the MLB-appointed panel that would arbitrate any disputes, and also a process for resolving any appeals from that decision without going to court.    The Orioles have violated that procedure and taken the dispute to court, letting the whole thing play out in public, which MLB had never agreed to.    It's not surprising at all that MLB is ticked off about it.

MLB lent money to the Nats which in my mind affects their impartiality. You can't be an impartial arbiter when you have a financial interest in one side of the process.

Archived