Fangraphs poll: O's fans pessimistic?

Frobby

54 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Eh.  I think you could be correct, but I disagree with the underlying implication behind the statement that said pessimism is somewhat rooted in greater knowledge/understanding.  If you listen to The Fan or any other such outlet, then you must be aware that there is no shortage of pessimism rooted in ignorance or terrible opinions.

If that's not what you mean to imply, my apologies, but that's how I read it.  I think pessimism and optimism can exist on either side of the spectrum, other than in extreme circumstances where one is completely unwarranted.

I don't listen to sports radio.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2017 at 10:37 AM, Frobby said:

Fangraphs is running a poll where fans of every team can rate how happy they are about the overall state of their franchise.   You can vote in the poll or see the results here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/come-rate-your-favorite-baseball-team/

Right now the majority of voters give the Orioles 3 out of 5 -- "more good than bad."    But the voters who have given a rating of 2 or below outnumber those who have given a 4 or 5 by a pretty good margin.   There are even a few rating the O's at 0 -- "everything blows!"    

Kind of a weird jump from "more good than bad" at #3 to "couldn't ask for much more" at #4. I can see why 2s outdue 4s, but 3 should be the reasonable fan's choice. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't listen to sports radio.

I like when they have guests on, or when they are discussing things, but the average listener that actually calls in seems to be somewhere between "crazy" and "psycho" most of the time. 

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I like when they have guests on, or when they are discussing things, but the average listener that actually calls in seems to be somewhere between "crazy" and "psycho" most of the time. 

Also keep in mind that if I did it would either be Tampa Bay or National. 

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Likely a wise decision.  I am in the car a lot for work and alternate between that, news, music and podcasts.  I am a glutton for the punishment to my ears sometimes, I guess :)

I spent 20 years collecting music on compact discs and the only place I currently use them is in the truck.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also keep in mind that if I did it would either be Tampa Bay or National. 

Yes, the Redskins-owned sports radio stations here in DC don't give a lot of talk-time to the Orioles, even though they broadcast the games.    They'll talk about the Redskins remodeling the locker room in the middle of June rather than discussing the O's.   The Nats get some play (even though their games are broadcast on another station), but not much.   Football, football, football.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, the Redskins-owned sports radio stations here in DC don't give a lot of talk-time to the Orioles, even though they broadcast the games.    They'll talk about the Redskins remodeling the locker room in the middle of June rather than discussing the O's.   The Nats get some play (even though their games are broadcast on another station), but not much.   Football, football, football.   

Sometimes even 105.7 spends too much time in June on the Ravens instead of the Orioles.

DC is a football town, regardless of the owner owning the radio station, they are hot and cold on their Oriole coverage, during the season, they were really rooting for a Parkway World Series, but oh well.

As for the thread topic. I think its the zealous 30% of the fanbase that are extremely vocal about their team, but they are also doom and gloom, inspite of 5 years of winning baseball. Flaherty gets a 100K raise, and they act like the entire payroll is in jeopardy and now they can't resign Manny.

They harp about the Parra mistakes of DD, and failed to remember the key points that DD has done.

The zealous 30% percent are also the votes that like to vote as many times as they can in polls and show their displeasure.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sometimes even 105.7 spends too much time in June on the Ravens instead of the Orioles.

DC is a football town, regardless of the owner owning the radio station, they are hot and cold on their Oriole coverage, during the season, they were really rooting for a Parkway World Series, but oh well.

As for the thread topic. I think its the zealous 30% of the fanbase that are extremely vocal about their team, but they are also doom and gloom, inspite of 5 years of winning baseball. Flaherty gets a 100K raise, and they act like the entire payroll is in jeopardy and now they can't resign Manny.

They harp about the Parra mistakes of DD, and failed to remember the key points that DD has done.

The zealous 30% percent are also the votes that like to vote as many times as they can in polls and show their displeasure.

I'd like you to find some shred of evidence to support that accusation. 

I also think that even a lot of the optimistic fans at sites like this have a hard time seeing good things for 2019 and beyond and have instead concentrated on 2017-2018.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Odd, double posted.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I'm pretty sure you could only vote once. 

I don't see anything wrong with voting a 3. That's what I voted and I thought it was slightly generous, but 2 was too low. 

Nice hyperbole with the Flaherty part.  The problem with DD is that he's added zero long term building blocks to this team.  He's done a nice job filling the gaps of a roster that was already very talented when he arrived.  How many draft picks has DD given up now with the Trumbo signing?  And how many talented young pitchers has he traded away for terrible returns (besides Miller)?  He's done more harm than good.  I think most GMs around the league could have achieved the same success at the big league level without sacrificing so much young talent. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like you to find some shred of evidence to support that accusation. 

I also think that even a lot of the optimistic fans at sites like this have a hard time seeing good things for 2019 and beyond and have instead concentrated on 2017-2018.

I think people spend a disproportion amount of time worrying about the future and not enjoying the current.

There will always be concerns about the team 2-5 years down the range, its the unknown, and that scares some.

Heck, did the 70 Oriole team coming off their 108 win season, feel like that 72 season was going to crash and burn down to 3rd place?

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I'm pretty sure you could only vote once. 

I don't see anything wrong with voting a 3. That's what I voted and I thought it was slightly generous, but 2 was too low. 

Nice hyperbole with the Flaherty part.  The problem with DD is that he's added zero long term building blocks to this team.  He's done a nice job filling the gaps of a roster that was already very talented when he arrived.  How many draft picks has DD given up now with the Trumbo signing?  And how many talented young pitchers has he traded away for terrible returns (besides Miller)?  He's done more harm than good.  I think most GMs around the league could have achieved the same success at the big league level without sacrificing so much young talent. 

Not all the polls on the internet outside of OH, control the voting, you clear cache and quit your browser and come back in and vote again.

Archived