Fangraphs poll: O's fans pessimistic?

Frobby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think people spend a disproportion amount of time worrying about the future and not enjoying the current.

There will always be concerns about the team 2-5 years down the range, its the unknown, and that scares some.

Heck, did the 70 Oriole team coming off their 108 win season, feel like that 72 season was going to crash and burn down to 3rd place?

I think folks don't plan well enough for the future.

I am also still waiting for evidence that one type of fan is more likely to try and unduly influence online polls.

I think we are forced to take the long view.  DD and AM inherited a failed system.  The major league team was terrible and the minor league teams were largely bare to projectable talent.  If we were a business we would have been in bankruptcy.  We were like a business without many assets and no credit.  Over the past several years we have seen our GMs slowly pull us up from that point.  Today our major league team is competing much more successfully, but achieving that condition has involved using almost all the assets from the minors to obtain players who are credible, but not stars and hoping our draft choices come through big time.  We have improved our overall situation steadily but slowly over the past few years -- much like any of us with marginal credit and only a little cash could do.  We have a long way to go to be completely healthy, but I do think we are demonstrating some positive momentum and, as with money, as our assets grow we will be able to get in on better deals and the rate of growth in total assets will increase.  I think that point of accelerated growth is a few years away and the moves of any off season have to be evaluated with restraint.  That said, of course, we will always have a large scope for disagreement on particular decisions.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think people spend a disproportion amount of time worrying about the future and not enjoying the current.

There will always be concerns about the team 2-5 years down the range, its the unknown, and that scares some.

Heck, did the 70 Oriole team coming off their 108 win season, feel like that 72 season was going to crash and burn down to 3rd place?

I know this is kind of beside the point, but that 1972 team was kind of anomalous.     They underperformed their Pythagorean record by 10 games.    And it was probably the best pitching team in Orioles' history -- ERA+ of 121 as a team, raw ERA of 2.53.   They really missed Frank Robinson's bat that year, and a bunch of key hitters had poor seasons, but they still outscored their opponents by 89 runs.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know this is kind of beside the point, but that 1972 team was kind of anomalous.     They underperformed their Pythagorean record by 10 games.    And it was probably the best pitching team in Orioles' history -- ERA+ of 121 as a team, raw ERA of 2.53.   They really missed Frank Robinson's bat that year, and a bunch of key hitters had poor seasons, but they still outscored their opponents by 89 runs.

I guess my point is, its baseball, good teams on paper don't always win, and sometimes poor teams on paper win.

Look at the 1983 team, probably the weakest Oriole team to be a WS trophy holder.

This is why, I don't put a ton of eyes forward to the future, and why I tried to explain to Corn about my thoughts on how some people dis proportionally worry too much about what if down the road.

38 minutes ago, TAMC said:

I think we are forced to take the long view.  DD and AM inherited a failed system.  The major league team was terrible and the minor league teams were largely bare to projectable talent.  If we were a business we would have been in bankruptcy.  We were like a business without many assets and no credit.  Over the past several years we have seen our GMs slowly pull us up from that point.  Today our major league team is competing much more successfully, but achieving that condition has involved using almost all the assets from the minors to obtain players who are credible, but not stars and hoping our draft choices come through big time.  We have improved our overall situation steadily but slowly over the past few years -- much like any of us with marginal credit and only a little cash could do.  We have a long way to go to be completely healthy, but I do think we are demonstrating some positive momentum and, as with money, as our assets grow we will be able to get in on better deals and the rate of growth in total assets will increase.  I think that point of accelerated growth is a few years away and the moves of any off season have to be evaluated with restraint.  That said, of course, we will always have a large scope for disagreement on particular decisions.

It also has involved DD talking Angelos into taking the O's payroll to a top 10 in MLB. With the money that DD has been allowed to throw at FA's and arb eligible players the O's should make the playoffs. Past GM's never had the luxury of a top 10 payroll.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I guess my point is, its baseball, good teams on paper don't always win, and sometimes poor teams on paper win.

Look at the 1983 team, probably the weakest Oriole team to be a WS trophy holder.

This is why, I don't put a ton of eyes forward to the future, and why I tried to explain to Corn about my thoughts on how some people dis proportionally worry too much about what if down the road.

I completely understood your point, I just don't agree with it.  It could be that those of us who do raise concerns about the future talk a lot and skew your view. ;)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I completely understood your point, I just don't agree with it.  It could be that those of us who do raise concerns about the future talk a lot and skew your view. ;)

Okay, you could be right!,

I guess my view of the future is skewed, because Ive been reading about doom and gloom for years, and those complaining about 2012-2016 wasn't quite as bad as they forecasted it be.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Okay, you could be right!,

I guess my view of the future is skewed, because Ive been reading about doom and gloom for years, and those complaining about 2012-2016 wasn't quite as bad as they forecasted it be.

And I was part of that.  They most certainly have exceeded my expectations during that time period.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

o

Also, the 1972 team did not crash and burn until the final 2 weeks of the season.

They were in 1st place when the month of September started, and were only 1 game back as late as September 18th, with a record of 77-66. They then lost 8 out of their final 11 games to finish 5 games behind the Tigers, and 4 and-a-half behind the Red Sox. 

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

Also, the 1972 team did not crash and burn until the final week and-a-half of the season.

They were in 1st place when the month of September started, and were only 1 game back as late as September 18th, with a record of 77-66. They then lost 8 out of their final 11 games to finish 5 games behind the Tigers, and 4 and-a-half behind the Red Sox. 

Good point.

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Also, the 1972 team did not crash and burn until the final week and-a-half of the season.

I had forgotten those gory details.  

Archived