Why no interest in bringing Drew Stubbs back?

Dark Helmet

He wasn't great after we acquired him, but has had some decent seasons. Has some speed and pop and from what I saw wasn't awful defensively. I doubt he'd cost much. He'd make a good 4th OF. Can play all 3 OF positions. I'd assume a minor league deal would get him. 

He hasn't been good since 2014 and isn't young. But it's worth considering as a minor league deal like you said. .791 career OPS vs lefties. He's probably of a similar caliber as Bourn and Jennings in terms of FA options, but maybe a worse fielder.

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

He hasn't been good since 2014 and isn't young. But it's worth considering as a minor league deal like you said. .791 career OPS vs lefties. He's probably of a similar caliber as Bourn and Jennings in terms of FA options, but maybe a worse fielder.

I forgot about Desmond Jennings. I'd take a flyer on him also.

You know, Jennings could be interesting as an OF option, particularly as a platoon partner with Kim/Smith.  His splits vs. lefties are pretty good for his career at ~800 OPS (~120 wrc+).  He fell off a cliff a bit last season, but that was with a big drop in BABIP (not sure exactly, but looks to be a shift of some LD to FB).

Anyway, he could be an interesting candidate.

Maybe have him and one of the R5 guys on the roster, start Joey Ricks at AAA?

It makes sense for guys who are destined for milb contracts to wait as long as possible in case a MLB opportunity opens itself up due to trade or injury.

I'd bring him back on a minor league deal with an opt out after ST if he doesn't make the big club.

I'd try to bring in Desmond on a contract similar to Austin Jackson's.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be fine with bringing back Stubbs on a minor league deal, but not sure he'd be interested in that. Most of these kinds of guys are still trying to secure major league deals and are usually willing to wait it out.

We'll probably sign some MiL deals in mid-February with guys like this.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

We'll probably sign some MiL deals in mid-February with guys like this.    

That's normally when they get desperate and will sign with an opt out. Most don't want to miss spring training and if they can get in a good situation and get some playing time in a major league spring training they know they might catch someone's eye, even if it's another team. Guys like Stubbs want one thing, to be in the major leagues. They could care less which team.

Archived