Is Dan going in the wrong direction with aging players?

wildcard

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think Dan would be more concerned about the future if he was going to be here?

Dan is always concerned about the future. But not as much as the present.  

I have watched Dan have the same win now approach for 5 years.   I don't think his contract has anything to be do with his player moves. Did he buy Ynoa because he was not concern about the future.  Did he claim two Rule  5 guys because he was not concerned about the future? What minor leaguer has Dan traded this off season that shows he is giving up on the future?  Did he sign a free agent that cost him the O's #1 pick this off season?  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

I have watched Dan have the same win now approach for 5 years.   I don't think his contract has anything to be do with his player moves. Did he buy Ynoa because he was not concern about the future.  Did he claim two Rule  5 guys because he was not concerned about the future? What minor leaguer has Dan traded this off season that shows he is giving up on the future?  Did he sign a free agent that cost him the O's #1 pick this off season?  

He claimed two rule V guys because they're cheap.  He rather spend his money on overmarket contracts for Davis and Trumbo.

Trumbo.

Keep in mind the pickings were extremely slim this offseason and Dan still managed to do it.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Nice post.  Very logical.

So lets see how high the bar is that a younger player has to met.

At 34, I would not expect Bourn to improve.  Last year he hit:

113 G, 375 AB,  5 HR, 38 RBI, 264/314/371/684 and stole 15 bases in 20 attempts. 

He is no longer considered an everyday centerfield but can play all three outfield positions. 

I don't think that is a very high bar to hit.

Gentry has been injury prone after having 5 concussions. He hasn't hit well in three years.  He has a career 668 OPS.  He has mainly been a platoon player vs left-handed pitching and that is what he is projected to be if he could regain his form  from for 2011- 2013 but that was a while ago.  He has range and can play all three fields.

What does a young outfielder that can play all three fields and hit for a 684 OPS cost?  It can't be THAT much. And a young player would probably not get paid the 2M salary that Bourn is projected to get.

It's not a very high bar to hit. That's why they're bench players. If they even make the team. With Gentry's history and Bourn's injury, that's uncertain.

You're mistaking my use of cost. I don't mean payroll cost. I mean acquisition cost.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Unless you're in a total rebuild, you should never be more concerned about the future than the present.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Unless you're in a total rebuild, you should never be more concerned about the future than the present.

I'm not sure what that is even supposed to mean.  Should Dan keep track on the whiteboard and if he hits 51% future he should trade some international slots?

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

I think that at whatever time in the season you come to the conclusion that your team isn't a playoff team you should switch gears and look to the future.  And by that I mean don't trade for Parra.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that at whatever time in the season you come to the conclusion that your team isn't a playoff team you should switch gears and look to the future.  And by that I mean don't trade for Parra.

While I don't like the Parra deal, I don't think that it was proper to conclude at that point that the team wasn't a playoff team.   We were in contention.   (And the fact that in hindsight they didn't make the playoffs doesn't change my opinion one bit).

Lots of people on here felt we weren't a playoff team in July 2012 and wanted to dump, including our esteemed Hangout leader whose opinion I respect a lot.

I do believe that both Gentry and Bourn are on MiLB contracts.  They are not blocking anybody in the organization or taking up any of those coveted Forty Man spots hence I do not look at them as "Aging Acquisitions" but more as "AAA Fodder" with MLB experience. 

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure what that is even supposed to mean.  Should Dan keep track on the whiteboard and if he hits 51% future he should trade some international slots?

Pretty much. Especially if he is not permitted to spend them. 

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

While I don't like the Parra deal, I don't think that it was proper to conclude at that point that the team wasn't a playoff team.   We were in contention.   (And the fact that in hindsight they didn't make the playoffs doesn't change my opinion one bit).

Lots of people on here felt we weren't a playoff team in July 2012 and wanted to dump, including our esteemed Hangout leader whose opinion I respect a lot.

It wasn't meant as a serious bit of analysis.

But buying high on a guy who is riding the crest of a BABIP wave is never a good idea. 

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I do believe that both Gentry and Bourn are on MiLB contracts.  They are not blocking anybody in the organization or taking up any of those coveted Forty Man spots hence I do not look at them as "Aging Acquisitions" but more as "AAA Fodder" with MLB experience. 

Both Milb. Bourn needs to be called up at some point or lost. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles were a game out of the Wild Card on July 31, 2015.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

The Orioles were a game out of the Wild Card on July 31, 2015.

Did you miss the part where I said it wasn't a serious piece of analysis?

I will repeat that if you do want to buy for your team you don't buy high on someone having an obviously unsustainable career year.

Archived