Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

Just now, El Gordo said:

If Buck thought Rickard's defense is as poor a you do he wouldn't be bringing him in as a late inning defensive upgrade. Really, because some fans point to  a handful of anecdotedal and subjective observations we dimiss his experience and judgment ?That's foolish IMO. Of course Rickarsd isn't  Kiermaier but after AJ and Gentry he's probably the best we have.

Read my post again. I said he's better than Trumbo and Kim. That's why he was a defensive replacement for those two last year.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Read my post again. I said he's better than Trumbo and Kim. That's why he was a defensive replacement for those two last year.

I think we can all agree that an outfielder (with some speed) replaces, Trumbo, Alvarez, Kim, Cruz, Adam Dunn.Late. Defensively.  Whether his name is Rickard, who has an arm, or McClouth who did not. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bourn can't play at all at the moment.   We won't see him until at least early May, if then.  

I understand that. But I never thought Bourn AND Gentry make it out of ST. Now I think it will be Gentry and Tavarez. Santander will be placed on the DL. Alvarez will make the team. 

If he's going to play the outfield in Norfolk it's going to be a very long spring for our pitchers (we won't last past the summer out there).

It's a big outfield, it's very windy right on the water and even good outfielders have trouble out there.

I hope we don't hurt the value of our young pitchers in AAA by exploding their ERA's by letting Alvarez play the outfield.

He better DH the entire time or this is a very bad idea.

16 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

If he's going to play the outfield in Norfolk it's going to be a very long spring for our pitchers (we won't last past the summer out there).

It's a big outfield, it's very windy right on the water and even good outfielders have trouble out there.

I hope we don't hurt the value of our young pitchers in AAA by exploding their ERA's by letting Alvarez play the outfield.

I don't think so. He gets a month to work on his OF D and we get insurance in case of injury with the ML club. He'll opt out in May.

20 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

I love your Norfolk Park! Indeed, lots to cover but I watch a good amount of games and Christian Walker wasn't very good either. He will probably play LF.

3 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Pedro Alvarez? I don't think of the terms "fast" or "athletic" when describing him. I wouldn't say he's even as athletic as Trumbo. Pedro has about 25 pounds on Trumbo if their weights listed on Baseball Reference are to be believed.

Again, rather than argue the point, I'll refer you back to the 2015 profile from Baseball Prospectus that supports my point (with video). Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he's a slug.

Painting the Black: Pedro Alvarez's Trip From Worst to First

Athleticism and Intangibles
While feet and hands go together like the Grease cast, only the game's special players seem to receive credit for their athleticism and intangibles; the rest of the league almost works on a sliding scale of sorts, where it's one or the other. What we're looking for in this section is not only whether Alvarez moves well—be it ranging, diving, or sliding after a ball—but whether he moves smartly—i.e. does he show restraint on balls to his right, have a working internal clock, and so on.

Everything checks out with Alvarez. He doesn't look like a great athlete—rather, he looks like Prince Fielder—but he showed some quickness and body control when needed...

Here's the most flashy example of Alvarez's athleticism and feel for his new position:

Alvarez covers some ground, slides before he rams into the dugout, and makes an impressive sliding grab to his glove side. It's a pretty good play, and a pretty good reminder that Alvarez isn't anchored to first base due to his lack of athleticism.

4 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Again, rather than argue the point, I'll refer you back to the 2015 profile from Baseball Prospectus that supports my point (with video). Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he's a slug.

Painting the Black: Pedro Alvarez's Trip From Worst to First

I've watched, even on the athletic play they tout, that guy looks slow to me.

Could he threaten Flaherty?  I think Flaherty probably ought to spell Hardy a game a week to protect JJ's back, but doubt that's how Buck will play it.  Alvarez could probably finish a game on the left side of the infield in the event of a Manny or Hardy injury and you'd have someone from Norfolk the next day.

It'd probably irk Castillo, but I think Earl might have seen in Pedro the chance to have him pinch hit for his catcher the 3rd or 4th time through the lineup on a pretty frequent basis.  He's a much better hitter v. RHP than Welington, and Joseph's generally considered the better defender.

On the downside, Pedro's tailor made for LOOGY's and it'd mean neither catcher would get a full day off much.

If Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo are healthy, it would not make sense to have Alvarez, Kim and Smith on the team are the same time.  I guess when Alvarez's opt out day comes up assuming no one is hurt, if they are satisfied with Kim and Smith, Alvarez is released.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:37 PM, mdbdotcom said:

Hope they're just giving Pedro a place to get into playing shape so he can sign a major league deal elsewhere as spring training winds down.

Not only that, but it gives him a play to play the outfield in order to show teams he can play there or not. I imagine this deal will have some kind of opt out date. Saying all this, I'm really surprised Alvarez could not find a major league deal out there. The Rockies just lost their first baseman so I'm surprised that wasn't a good fit. I know Pedro is not very good defensively, but I didn't think he was that bad that he would end up back on a minor league deal to play the outfield.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:23 PM, Frobby said:

No such thing as a bad MiL deal.   It's crazy how the landscape has shifted away from power guys with little defensive skill.   

Very true. Unfortunately it makes Trumbo's deal with the Orioles look like Dan was behind the times. An Alvarez/Mancini platoon would have saved a lot of cash that will be needed for Manny.

Archived