Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not only that, but it gives him a play to play the outfield in order to show teams he can play there or not. I imagine this deal will have some kind of opt out date. Saying all this, I'm really surprised Alvarez could not find a major league deal out there. The Rockies just lost their first baseman so I'm surprised that wasn't a good fit. I know Pedro is not very good defensively, but I didn't think he was that bad that he would end up back on a minor league deal to play the outfield.

I guess he agreed a day too soon. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see the downside to this move. If Alvarez can prove to be a decent outfielder, and I admit it's probably a longshot, but if he does, it makes him insurance for Kim and Smith. Also, if Trumbo or Davis get hurt, this gives the O's an experienced DH who can fill in against righties. 

The fact that the Orioles get a two-month look at a guy to play a new position with limited risk is a win-win situation. I'm still surprised it has come to this for Pedro, but perhaps he believes this is his best plan longterm to regain value. Afterall, Seth Smith and Hyun Soo Kim are not exactly known for their gloves so if he can show that he can play effectively out there, his value will jump for teams.

As for pitchers with Norfolk, they are evaluated on how they are throwing the ball, not the results because outfielders didn't make plays that they should. It might not help the win-loss record for Norfolk if he's terrible out there, but the truth of the matter is the Orioles don't care about that. They care about whether they can develop players who can help them win at the major league level.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't really see the downside to this move. If Alvarez can prove to be a decent outfielder, and I admit it's probably a longshot, but if he does, it makes him insurance for Kim and Smith. Also, if Trumbo or Davis get hurt, this gives the O's an experienced DH who can fill in against righties. 

The fact that the Orioles get a two-month look at a guy to play a new position with limited risk is a win-win situation. I'm still surprised it has come to this for Pedro, but perhaps he believes this is his best plan longterm to regain value. Afterall, Seth Smith and Hyun Soo Kim are not exactly known for their gloves so if he can show that he can play effectively out there, his value will jump for teams.

As for pitchers with Norfolk, they are evaluated on how they are throwing the ball, not the results because outfielders didn't make plays that they should. It might not help the win-loss record for Norfolk if he's terrible out there, but the truth of the matter is the Orioles don't care about that. They care about whether they can develop players who can help them win at the major league level.

Norfolk, in turn will probably love having a bonafide Major Leaguer that they can market for a month or two, bring a few extra folks to the park.

If this is anything more than a hand to a former player and a relationship building tool with an agent (in other words: getting him a chance to get into playing shape and show what he can do in the OF for the rest of the league) then I'm really perplexed. Maybe Alvarez will be a serviceable outfielder, but even on the off-chance he is, how does he answer any questions for this club? You still have Kim and Smith as platoon bats from the left-side. 

If we're this desperate for outfielders, I'm still unsure why the Orioles don't just bite the bullet and put Davis out in RF. Surely, he's a better defensive option there than Trumbo, Mancini or Alvarez. I get the robbing Peter to pay Paul argument about downgrading the defense at first, but if we're going to try and cram as many sluggers into the roster as possible, wouldn't it make more sense to have a passable RF and passable 1B on defense than an absolutely terrible defensive RF and a good defensive 1B? 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Competition is always good.  This is a low risk move that could result in us getting an asset out of it via trade.  

This was Buck's idea.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/03/13/orioles-manager-buck-showalters-suggestion-led-to-pedro-alvarez-conversion

Last September, Orioles manager Buck Showalter suggested to Pedro Alvarez, who received less playing time toward the end of last season as a designated hitter, he could improve his chances of being a viable major leaguer if he learned how to play the outfield.

Can I please never again hear that Buck is a defense first guy when it comes to the outfield?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This was Buck's idea.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/03/13/orioles-manager-buck-showalters-suggestion-led-to-pedro-alvarez-conversion

Can I please never again hear that Buck is a defense first guy when it comes to the outfield?

I mean, the way it's reported, it sounds more like Buck was giving Pedro career advice. And he's not wrong. He wasn't endorsing him AS an outfielder, by any means. Just recommending giving it a go.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

I mean, the way it's reported, it sounds more like Buck was giving Pedro career advice. And he's not wrong. He wasn't endorsing him AS an outfielder, by any means. Just recommending giving it a go.

Did you read the whole thing?

"I'm going to be surprised if he can't do it. [He's] pretty athletic," Showalter said. "Kind of fits his skill set, too. He's got a plus arm, and he's going to work hard at it.

It certainly sounds like Buck thinks he will make a viable outfielder, at 30.  Despite not being able to play first or third with sufficient proficiently.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you read the whole thing?

It certainly sounds like Buck thinks he will make a viable outfielder, at 30.  Despite not being able to play first or third with sufficient proficiently.

Is optimism a bad thing? Buck isn't promising playing time, he's just hoping the guy can do it - and why shouldn't he? Should Pedro just give up and not play baseball anymore?

8 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Is optimism a bad thing? Buck isn't promising playing time, he's just hoping the guy can do it - and why shouldn't he? Should Pedro just give up and not play baseball anymore?

I don't think it's optimism.  I think Buck thinks Pedro could play outfield for him.  I think there are a lot of teams Pedro couldn't play outfield for.

Archived