Schmuck's ST assessment: O's are in Trouble

wildcard

Peter Schmuck just got back from watching the O's in ST.  He says with Tillman being injury last season, during the off season and in ST the O's have to be realistic.   He thinks that Tillman may not be the horse he as been in the past and the O's need this season.

You can listen to his take on WBAL with Bret Hollander:

http://www.wbal.com/article/226582/6/peter-schmuck-joined-brett-hollander-to-talk-about-his-observations-from-spring-training

o

We very well could be in trouble.

With his best starting pitched on the shelf indefinitely, managing the 2017 Orioles to AT LEAST a winning, respectable season could be Buck Showalter's biggest challenge as the team's manager in quite some time. 

As I stated in another thread, I believe that acquiring either Doug Fister or Colby Lewis AND keeping Chris Lee to piggyback on said acquisition for a proverbial "5 and-a-half man" rotation would be a very prudent investment and idea.

I don't like Tyler Wilson.

I think that Mike Wright has the stuff, but I'm not willing to wing it and take a chance with him just yet. If the Orioles happen to play well and are at least 7 or 8 games above .500 several months into the season, I might like to see Wright be given a chance should a tough schedule of games present itself (such as having to play a doubleheader or 2 to make up for previous rain-outs), and we are in need of extra  arms.

I like Chris Lee, and I like the idea of taking him north with us, BUT AS A PIGGY-BACKER with a newly acquired Fister or Lewis. Don't completely throw him to the wolves by making him the 5th starter, but give him a chance to show his stuff and get some experience in the Majors as a piggy-backer for one of the other 5 starters.

Buck and Duquette said at last season's STH address that piggybacking does not occur at the major league level, and is not a realistic option that they consider.  With Tillman out, I definitely think trying to find a veteran starter like Fister should be a priority at this point.

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Your #1 starter might be out for an extended time.  We need someone to tell us that's a problem?

o

We're spoiled Oriole fans.

We haven't had a losing season since 2011.

We need someone to bring us back down to earth every now and then, even if it is with the obvious.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'll probably get killed for this thought but wouldn't mind seeing Buchholz here. Maybe give up a top 10 prospect if Phils eat some salary. Just not optimistic about Tillman whatsoever.

Are you still on board for giving up the farm for Sonny Gray?

The last half of ST Is going to be an audition for the vacant SP spot in the rotation.  Lee, Ynoa, Nuno, and Wright will all be in that audition.  I personally think that Nuno has the advantage over all of them just because of his experience alone.  That being said I am very intrigued by Ynoa.  

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd like to see Chris Lee pitch every five days at Bowie or Norfolk for an extended period before thinking about him in Baltimore. I know he's the glamour child this spring, but he's got more to prove in my opinion.

He's got to do better than 22  pitches per inning to be a starter. 

Archived