Could we hit more home runs in 2017 than in 2016?

ChuckS

This is what I came up with from the starting nine (last year's number in parenthesis).  This is assuming Smith and Kim get roughly 400 at bats. 

Machado: 43 (37) - For anyone who has seen many in the WBC, this is not far fetched.  Looks to have added about 20 pounds of muscle, mostly in his legs.  It wouldn't shock me if he hit 50.  

Davis: 38 (38) - If his hand is fully healed and that was the culprit of his down numbers last year, then he could hit more.  I'm going to be conservative here since Davis's numbers vary greatly from year to year based on how long his tailspins go. 

Trumbo: 38 (47) - This is fair. Mark makes better contact than Davis and hits the ball just as hard.  

Jones: 29 (29) - Adam is remarkably consistent in the power department from year to year.  He's been crushing some balls in San Diego which isn't the easiest park to hit home runs.  Small sample size of course, but I don't expect any decline in the power department.  

Schoop: 26 (25) - Seems reasonable in his age 25 season.  He certainly has the power to hit more if he can stay a little more consistent. 

Castillo: 20 (17 - Wieters) - I think he will enjoy the short left field in Baltimore and get more at bats than he did in AZ last year.  

Smith: 18 (22 - Alvarez) - Reasonable projection given that he's moving from a big park to a smaller park. Alvarez (whose at bats he is replacing) could contribute as well if Smith gets hurt or if his hamstring injury lingers.  

Kim: 11 (6) - He hit more in the second half last season and I think you will start to see him turn on balls more. 

Hardy: 9 (9) - I think he gets a few more at bats this year and does a little less (per at bat) in the power department. 

I came out +2 overall.  I think Mancini will help in the power department at some point as well - replacing and exceeding Nolan Reimold's production from last year.  250 plus home runs seems reasonable again this year.  I would hope we have a chance to score more runs as well with the addition of Smith and Kim getting more at bats to help out in the OBP - which is the most important thing when it comes down to it.  

I'm a bit curious by the +9 jump o Trumbo. Was there something he did last year that he improved on for this year, or do you think the possibility of him being more of a DH than an outfielder will cause less wear and tear and help his power?

I think the rest of the assessments are fair. Mancini should help, Gentry, Flash may be good for a few, Joseph should be good for atleast 1 this season...

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm a bit curious by the +9 jump o Trumbo. Was there something he did last year that he improved on for this year, or do you think the possibility of him being more of a DH than an outfielder will cause less wear and tear and help his power?

I think the rest of the assessments are fair. Mancini should help, Gentry, Flash may be good for a few, Joseph should be good for atleast 1 this season...

Trumbo made an approach change in the second half of 2015.

29 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He credited Edgar Martinez for a swing adjustment. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Trumbo hit 47 last year. I am confused by these numbers.

5 hours ago, weams said:

Jones

Alvarez

Mancini

Machado

Trumbo

Davis

Schoop

Castillo

Smith

I just don't know how well Mancini would do at shortstop. 

Jones CF 30

Alvarez 3B 25

Mancini DH 22

Machado SS 40

Trumbo 1B 38

Davis RF 42

Schoop 2B 28

Castillo C 20

Smith/Joey LF 20

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Of course not, It was Weams list ask him.

Imagine if Davis could have stuck at third base.  He wasn't too bad there in 2014.  

He was a good enough athlete and had the arm.  Never really got a chance to hone those skills.  I think he could have been okay (seriously).  Imagine an IF of Davis (3B), Manny (SS), Schoop (2B), and Mancini or Trumbo at (1B).  The future suddenly looks less complicated. 

Archived