The Outfield Dilemma

Answerman

As I see it, the logjam in the outfield is caused by Seth Smith. He may be a great player, time will tell. But if he was not on this roster we could have the outfield we all want.

Having just returned from four consecutive spring training games, I can say Joey Rickard was the most effective position player I saw all week. Second place wasn't close. He has to be on this team. Kim and Jones also need to be on the team. That leaves room for two more outfielders. Both Rule 5 guys are interesting. Would love to keep both, but I don't really see it happening. I suspect Trumbo will play a lot of right field again this year. I don't have a huge problem with that as I don't think he is as bad as everyone else seems to think. In fact, his arm is actually very strong and accurate. I really want both Mancini and Alvarez to get at bats. They are both professional hitters who make pitchers work for outs. Taking Trumbo out of the outfield mix for the sake of Seth Smith means sending one or both of Mancini/Alvarez to Norfolk.

Is there a team out there that would take Smith and his contract off our hands?

4 minutes ago, Answerman said:

As I see it, the logjam in the outfield is caused by Seth Smith. He may be a great player, time will tell. But if he was not on this roster we could have the outfield we all want.

Having just returned from four consecutive spring training games, I can say Joey Rickard was the most effective position player I saw all week. Second place wasn't close. He has to be on this team. Kim and Jones also need to be on the team. That leaves room for two more outfielders. Both Rule 5 guys are interesting. Would love to keep both, but I don't really see it happening. I suspect Trumbo will play a lot of right field again this year. I don't have a huge problem with that as I don't think he is as bad as everyone else seems to think. In fact, his arm is actually very strong and accurate. I really want both Mancini and Alvarez to get at bats. They are both professional hitters who make pitchers work for outs. Taking Trumbo out of the outfield mix for the sake of Seth Smith means sending one or both of Mancini/Alvarez to Norfolk.

What outfield do I want again?

I thought I wanted Smith in a platoon in right but evidently I don't.

So in the words of the Spice Girls tell me what I want, what I really really want.

I see Smith and Kim in a very similar light. They are both platoon OF with questionable defensive ability. Ultimately, I think we end up with an OF of Kim, Jones and Smith against RHP and Rickard, Jones and Gentry against LHP (this, of course, assumes Smith is ready for Opening Day). 

I do like what Mancini has done in Spring Training (and in his very short sampling last year), but I don't see the harm in stashing him in Triple-A. He has never truly dominated there. He'll get his looks at the major league level, but I like him as a good insurance policy to Trumbo, Davis and maybe an OF or two if he shows he can play RF well enough. As for Alvarez, I've long struggled to see where he fits on this team. To be honest, I'm okay with him in place of Kim or in place of Smith IF he can show he can play OF even as well (albeit a low bar) as either of them. Even assuming he can play OF, he's basically in the same bucket as those two. Sure, he has more pop, but he also has a lower OBP and more Ks. Given the make up of the rest of the lineup, that makes him below those other two in my mind as we have plenty of power. 

If Alvarez will agree to go to the minors to work on the OF, I would be elated to have both he and Mancini for depth. 

To me, the real challenge here is Santander. I cannot get a read on how the O's view him health wise to know if DLing him is a realistic early option to at least delay the decision and see if the issue resolves itself. 

Right now I want Kim/Rickard platooning in LF and Smith/Santander platooning in RF. Then continue to reevaluate based on health, the performance of those four guys, and the performance of Alvarez in the OF at AAA. If they don't keep Santander, or if they DL him, then I guess put Gentry in that platoon spot or keep Bourn as a pinch runner/defensive replacement and live with one of Smith or Kim playing vs lefties. 

Corn...what I think we want is Kim, Jones and Rickard along with one of the Rule 5 guys (though both are desirable).

We also want two of Trumbo, Alvarez and Mancini. That means one will have to occupy the roster spot of an outfielder and the other goes to Norfolk.

3 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Corn...what I think we want is Kim, Jones and Rickard along with one of the Rule 5 guys (though both are desirable).

We also want two of Trumbo, Alvarez and Mancini. That means one will have to occupy the roster spot of an outfielder and the other goes to Norfolk.

From what I saw of Rickard last season I don't want him playing everyday.

I'm comfortable with Rickard as part of a platoon, but don't want to jettison a more proven hitter (albeit only against RHP) in favor of getting someone like Rickard more time off the bat. I'd be open to seeing his playing time increase as he proves himself more in the regular season. 

I want the best defensive OF we can cobble to gether. Right nowthat would be some combination of Kim Gentry Rickard and Smith. Trumbo is far worse in the OF than any of them and I haven't been impressed with Taverez out their either, Have no idea about Santander he hasn't played yet. Let Mancini and Alverez demonstrate they are at least as good as the first four  in Norfolk before putting them into the mix.

Smith and Kim are very valuable to this team as potential .350 + OBP guys that give you 400 to 450 at bats. We have only one other guy on the team (Machado) who is likely to do that.  

On other teams they are less valuable because of their defensive limitations and their L/L splits.  These are some of the last guys I would want to see traded right now because their strength is a great weakness overall on the team. 

Tavarez had to be a lights out defender to make the team, and he's not.  It looks like Santander might hang for a bit on the DL.  Bourn might have to start out the year in AAA get up to speed.  I'd say Gentry has a spot right now.  Pedro might if Seth Smith starts the year on the DL.  

9 hours ago, Answerman said:

Well, Smith is a better player than Rickard.  I usually like it when the Orioles play their best players, but that's just me.  If you choose to evaluate players using a 4 game sample size then go right ahead.  I just don't see how you came to the conclusion that that's what we all want.  I've been seeing debates all off-season on here about whether Rickard should be on the roster.  There are lots of differing opinions, which is great.  It wouldn't be an interesting topic if everyone agreed.  Most people don't like being told what they want.  Speak for yourself next time, I doubt anyone wants to be lumped in with your opinion after reading the part about  Trumbo in the outfield.

8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Well, Smith is a better player than Rickard.  I usually like it when the Orioles play their best players, but that's just me.  If you choose to evaluate players using a 4 game sample size then go right ahead.  I just don't see how you came to the conclusion that that's what we all want.  I've been seeing debates all off-season on here about whether Rickard should be on the roster.  There are lots of differing opinions, which is great.  It wouldn't be an interesting topic if everyone agreed.  Most people don't like being told what they want.  Speak for yourself next time, I doubt anyone wants to be lumped in with your opinion after reading the part about  Trumbo in the outfield.

In truth, it's not even remotely possible for the Orioles to field the outfield I want from within the organization. I want an outfield with speedy, athletic types that can cover lots of ground, play good defense and get on base. Lots of other clubs seem to have them. The Orioles just keep loading up on corner infielders and trying to remake them as outfielders. They're completely obsessed with home runs.

17 hours ago, Answerman said:

Which is what I thought. Alverez will make this team and Mancini is going to Norfolk.

Alvarez was signed late to a Minor League Contract AND with the stipulation that he to be used as an OUTFIELDER.  He will be in Norfolk to learn/adjust to his new found position.  Trumbo was not signed to the winter free agent contract to play Right Field.  He was signed s the DH and backup 1B.  Mancini so far is a step or two ahead of Pedro in transforming into a serviceable corner OF option and this may keep him on the Twenty-Five.  Seth Smith, if not fully recovered from his hamstring may start the season in extended ST while on the DL.

7 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Alvarez was signed late to a Minor League Contract AND with the stipulation that he to be used as an OUTFIELDER.  He will be in Norfolk to learn/adjust to his new found position.  Trumbo was not signed to the winter free agent contract to play Right Field.  He was signed s the DH and backup 1B.  Mancini so far is a step or two ahead of Pedro in transforming into a serviceable corner OF option and this may keep him on the Twenty-Five.  Seth Smith, if not fully recovered from his hamstring may start the season in extended ST while on the DL.

Do you think that is somehow a binding agreement?

I can certainly see a scenario where Trumbo moves back into his almost an everyday outfielder position and Pedro once again becomes a platoon DH. 

Archived