Buck gives hints about the roster

wildcard

53 minutes ago, dan-O said:

I think he could start in LF as early as next year when Kim's gone. He's ready as soon as he's healthy, IMO. 

I'm not trying to insult you, but That evaluation is unrealistic to say the least. Neither you or (I think) anyone on this board has seen the guy play an inning of defense. He's never had an at bat above A+. If he sticks as a rule 5 pick his development will be stunted this year because he will play very little.  To expect him to start in the majors next year is very unrealistic. What are you basing such high expectations on? Sisco is a more advanced prospect and it's iffy if he will earn a starting job next year. I just don't get this evaluation. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it would be farfetched for the Orioles to work out cash trades for the two Rule 5 guys. I think that's how they acquired and kept Almanzar. Obviously they wanted Verrett awhile back too but couldn't keep him and Garcia too. They eventually got their man though.

I think Santander and Tavarez will both be Orioles, but maybe not as simply as just having to roster them for the Rule 5 draft rules.

1 hour ago, dan-O said:

I think he could start in LF as early as next year when Kim's gone. He's ready as soon as he's healthy, IMO. 

Why do you think that?   He doesn't show up on anyone's top 100 list, BA ranked him the no. 16 prospect in the Carolina League, which isn't that high, and Fangraphs just ranked him as the no. 10 prospect in our system.    I think the idea that he's anywhere close to major league ready is an utter fantasy.  

35 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I don't think it would be farfetched for the Orioles to work out cash trades for the two Rule 5 guys. I think that's how they acquired and kept Almanzar. Obviously they wanted Verrett awhile back too but couldn't keep him and Garcia too. They eventually got their man though.

I think Santander and Tavarez will both be Orioles, but maybe not as simply as just having to roster them for the Rule 5 draft rules.

Almanzar was sent back to the Red Sox in July 2014, then we traded for him at the end of the MiL season (Almanzar and Kelly Johnson for Jemile Weeks and Ivan DeJesus).   He spent 2015-16 in our organization.   He was a minor league free agent this winter and signed with the Tigers.   

Santander is a better prospect than Almanzar.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nick Markakis was called up after a month or so of AA experience.    Santander is coming off a big season in High A ball and would be playing AA ball this year.   His development was slowed a couple of years because of injury.    I don't think it's utter fantasy.   I disagree until he proves me wrong.     If the Orioles try to carry him this year do you think it's because they think he's an okay prospect who is years away?      What they do will tell us if they share your opinion.  At least, that's my opinion.

Nick was also the #21 BA prospect in 2006.  That is generally a little bit better than the #16 guy in the Carolina League.

BTW, I actually think the Orioles will keep Santander when the season starts. They will DL him until he can actually throw a baseball and then evaluate his defense while he's on rehabilitation assignment and make their real decision about keeping him after those games. 

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nick Markakis was called up after a month or so of AA experience.    Santander is coming off a big season in High A ball and would be playing AA ball this year.   His development was slowed a couple of years because of injury.    I don't think it's utter fantasy.   I disagree until he proves me wrong.     If the Orioles try to carry him this year do you think it's because they think he's an okay prospect who is years away?      What they do will tell us if they share your opinion.  At least, that's my opinion.

Nick Markakis was the no. 21 prospect in MLB, and hit extremely well in his short AA stint (.992 OPS in 143 PA) and the Arizona Fall League (.862 OPS in 98 PA).     He also hit extremely well in spring training with extensive playing time.     Even so, it took him about 2.5 months to figure out how to hit major league pitching once the season started.    I'm not saying it's impossible that Santander could be ready this season, but it's really, really unlikely.    

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

If Santander needs TJ or some kind of surgery that keeps him out for the year, would we get to keep him with his clock reset next year?

He would be a rule 5 player next year then.  He would still have to spend the required number of days on the MLB roster before he could be optioned to the minors. 

Archived