Buck gives hints about the roster

wildcard

From masnsports.com

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/03/pena-and-perez-reassigned-wrapping-up-a-5-2-loss.html

On Santander: "We want to see if he’s a good-looking young outfielder. If he’s unable to make it physically, then we’ll probably put him on the disabled list."

On Verrett : "He was better today. Command still has been a little off, but he’s kind of had a track record of that, something he’s got to get better at that if he’s going to play a role for us.”

On Seth Smith's hamstring: “They’re really wanting to get this all the way out,”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Santander is staying. Good to hear. i really could care less about Gentry or Bourne (or Alvarez), sad to say. i think Rickard should be the 4th OF and should be able to handle more ABs against RH.  

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

From masnpsports.com

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/03/pena-and-perez-reassigned-wrapping-up-a-5-2-loss.html

On Santander: "We want to see if he’s a good-looking young outfielder. If he’s unable to make it physically, then we’ll probably put him on the disabled list."

On Verrett : "He was better today. Command still has been a little off, but he’s kind of had a track record of that, something he’s got to get better at that if he’s going to play a role for us.”

On Seth Smith's hamstring: “They’re really wanting to get this all the way out,”

You left off the best part.

“Better,” Showalter said. “He stepped up. It’s that time of the year. He was 90-94 mph today. It’s that time of the year. They’re releasing the hounds. He was better today. Command still has been a little off, but he’s kind of had a track record of that, something he’s got to get better at that if he’s going to play a role for us.”

TheHoundsButton.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Long enough to evaluate him defensively in the OF:)

Buck answered that too in the article. "Down to the wire." Most likely both Rule 5 picks fates won't be decided til whatever the deadline for the 25 man is. Last Sunday at 4:00pm.

Manager Buck Showalter indicated that Rule 5 picks Aneury Tavárez and Anthony Santander will come down to the wire. Santander hasn’t been available since undergoing an MRI arthrogram on his right elbow.

“Trying to see if we can get Santander back on the field, see if we can get a look at him,” Showalter said. “He’s a good-looking young hitter. We want to see if he’s a good-looking young outfielder. If he’s unable to make it physically, then we’ll probably put him on the disabled list.

“Tavárez has done some good things, too. They’re two good picks. See how it shakes out.”

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

But someone just told me no way Santander is on the DL:)

Don't know who told you that, but it wasn't me. What I said was that if he's ready to play defensively "a few days" from the MRA, it might prevent them from putting him on the 10-day DL to start the season. You can't, under the rules, just do it because you're not finished evaluating someone. Cleveland wasn't happy about losing him in the first place. If they think the Orioles are gaming the system, you can bet they'll lodge a complaint.

And, by the way, nothing Buck said conflicts with what I said. He said they'd put him on the DL "if he's unable to go physically." What I said was that if he is able to go physically, they might have difficulty DL-ing him.

3 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Don't know who told you that, but it wasn't me. What I said was that if he's ready to play defensively "a few days" from the MRA, it might prevent them from putting him on the 10-day DL to start the season. You can't, under the rules, just do it because you're not finished evaluating someone. Cleveland wasn't happy about losing him in the first place. If they think the Orioles are gaming the system, you can bet they'll lodge a complaint.

If he's unable to play in the OF before the end of ST, isn't that the definition of injured?

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

If he's unable to play in the OF before the end of ST, isn't that the definition of injured?

I have hashed this out already lol.

He thinks we are being unethical by putting him on the DL. Normally I would say yes with the O's but in this particular case, a DL stint with rehab assignment makes sense and I believe 100% warranted.

And what I believe he is missing (and probably a flaw in the system) is Rule 5 guys much rather draw a major league salary then go back to low A ball.

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

It's a shoulder elbow issue. If he cant get up to full arm strength then he can be on the DL.

This. Throwing. I think the braintrust thinks he can play "outfield" fine.They just need to know his arm is still there. If he can't play right, only left... we might as well let him go anyways.

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As long as it isn't the "Pedro Alvarez" definition of being unable to play the outfield. 

And Pedro signed a MiL contract. Opt out not til end of April, early May. I cant' remember the date. "Pete" is going along willingly, but if he wasn't willing.... they could send him down against his will and he can't do a thing. Til that opt out date.

Can't do that with either Rule 5.

3 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I have hashed this out already lol.

He thinks we are being unethical by putting him on the DL. Normally I would say yes with the O's but in this particular case, a DL stint with rehab assignment makes sense and I believe 100% warranted.

And what I believe he is missing (and probably a flaw in the system) is Rule 5 guys much rather draw a major league salary then go back to low A ball.

No doubt either would rather the ML salary. What Moondoggie is arguing (I think) is that Cleveland will argue the DL-ing. The thing we forget... is Cleveland has BETTER medical records, knows exactly what surgery he had. Better than we have. They know the hazards AND the concerns we have. IANAD, nor a lawyer, but Cleveland doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Archived