How many games will the Orioles win in 2017?

Frobby

How many games will the O's win in 2017?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. The O's will win:

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure it stopped them last year.  He was a reliever the first half.

You think that with the stuff he was showing last spring Bundy should have been in the starting rotation to start the year?

I am of the opinion that Bundy was pretty visibly flagging as the season went on and he was still sent out there every fifth (or sixth they did try and get him a bit of extra rest) days because they didn't have anyone else to insert into the rotation.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think that with the stuff he was showing last spring Bundy should have been in the starting rotation to start the year?

I am of the opinion that Bundy was pretty visibly flagging as the season went on and he was still sent out there every fifth (or sixth they did try and get him a bit of extra rest) days because they didn't have anyone else to insert into the rotation.

I am feeling pretty good about some combination of Ynoa,  Aquino,  Asher and Lee helping some point.   Helping take the innings load off the starters.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think how hard they push Bundy depends entirely on how he's doing.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think how hard they push Bundy depends entirely on how he's doing.   

Do you think that if the O's:

1. Had a large lead in the division
  2. Were out of contention
  3. Had a viable alternative to put into the rotation

that Bundy would have pitched so much last year?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think that if the O's:

1. Had a large lead in the division
  2. Were out of contention
  3. Had a viable alternative to put into the rotation

that Bundy would have pitched so much last year?

No, although if they had a viable alternative I'm not sure Bundy would be the first SP replaced.

I didn't see a mechanism to specify when a poll should be closed, but this one should be closed now that the season has started.    Just in case it isn't, here's how the votes stood as of Opening Day:

7-24-31-19-8-2-0.

• 5 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, webbrick2010 said:

73-89

Bad starting pitching

Bad OF defense... or bad hitting from COF'ers (pick your poison)

Trumbo & Davis hit a combined .225 while striking out 450 times

Automatic out at SS (Hardy), or during his 40 off days (Flaherty/Janish)

Your call was pessimistic, but spot on.  I think Davis would have set the strikeout record if he stayed healthy.  I predicted 81-84 wins.  I thought Tillman would be productive if average starter and the O's would find someone from minors who could hold down #5 spot in rotation.  I was wrong.  I think the rotation was worse than all of our nightmares.

7 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

This was an interesting read this morning. I spent some time pondering how the O's have fell apart this year and wanted to check out the pre season predictions. A lot of good takes in here.

Thanks for bumping this.   I agree, very interesting.   

On 3/31/2017 at 8:44 AM, webbrick2010 said:

73-89

Bad starting pitching

Bad OF defense... or bad hitting from COF'ers (pick your poison)

Trumbo & Davis hit a combined .225 while striking out 450 times

Automatic out at SS (Hardy), or during his 40 off days (Flaherty/Janish)

This season really was a pessimist's wet dream, wasn't it.    You were dead right on every one of these points.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:34 PM, Frobby said:

Optimistically, they could be middle of the pack, as they were in 2015 (-1.4 UZR, 16th in MLB).   That depends on a lot of factors.   More realistically, I'd probably hope for a 20-run improvement in OF defense (they were -36.7 last year).    

Well, I got this right, anyway.   The O's outfield is at -16.2 UZR, below average but 20 runs better than last year.

On 4/2/2017 at 8:52 AM, RZNJ said:

I don't see Sisco up here unless Castillo is out for an extended time.  Very unusual to call up a top prospect to play once or twice a week.

The only way Bundy is limited to 150 innings is because of injury or ineffectiveness.

IF Bundy pitches as well as we hope AND stays healthy he'll be around 180.

Right on both points.   Bundy may fall just short of 180, but not by much.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:28 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm hopeful they move from worst to not worst.

Going down to the wire but a tie for last is still worst.  Surprised that i had not the cojones to vote...in lesser years I usually went with 69.  I was thinking 81-81 this year though.

Archived