Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2017

OFFNY

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The last time Ubaldo pitched out of relief, he came out the next week and pitched into the 8th inning against the Nats. That probably doesn't matter but I wouldn't be surprised if it intrigues Buck. 

I think the biggest thing to consider is that Asher was so great in his role in the pen.  Ubaldo can't fill that MR role in the pen.  If we need a guy to struggle every 5th day then Ubaldo certainly meets that criteria.

Ideally the best set up would be to have Asher back in the pen and Ynoa in the rotation.  Ynoa's game translates well with our IF defense and ballpark.  Sinkerballer.  

We're just going to have to root for Ubaldo at this point.  Nobody is beating the door down in AAA.  They've played 50 games in AAA and I'd be shocked if they've had 7 QS between everyone combined.  

• 2 weeks later...

o

9 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

UBALDJIMENEZ GARCIA  )))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 6/08) )) [ 

IP:llllll

H:.l.llll 1))l (1 Home Run)

R:lll.lll 1

BB:.llll0

SO:..l5

Pitches: l) 46 )(28 )Strikes, )18 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 6.66 

2017 WHIP: l) 1.557 )  52.67 IP (82 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  .268 )  56 for 209

PITCHES BY INNING

*****************l

16 ll(91 llStrikes, )l7 l)Balls)

16 l.(10 llStrikes, lll6 .)Balls)

14 .)(91 llStrikes, lll5 l)Balls)

o

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

WHAT IF?....Nah...Forget about it...Thinking Ubaldo may have found it again..is like having that lover that you think still cares about you...and then you see her out to dinner with Brad Pitt.

Agree completely, it's fool's gold.

Other than the one mistake (the hr), Ubaldo did quite well in a mop up role. As Frobby said, this kept the team from burning out valuable bullpen arms. Mopping.up isn't a very glamorous role, but it's needed.  And no  I am not ready to put Ubaldo back into the rotation.

44 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Why is it, he seems to do very well in the mop up role, but out him as a starter and you have to flip a coin on him. Also, don't EVER put him in a high leverage situation...

Long relief,  especially in a mop up situation is low pressure.  Whereas starting is usually high pressure.  At this stage of development,  Ubaldo needs a LOT  of coaching. He functions better in a low pressure situation while he makes the adjustments he needs to make. I have my doubts that the Orioles can be the team he needs. He most likely would do better with a rebuilding team whereas the Orioles are in the middle of an intense playoff chase.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Why is it, he seems to do very well in the mop up role, but out him as a starter and you have to flip a coin on him. Also, don't EVER put him in a high leverage situation...

He can't get ready fast enough for a high leverage situation.

47 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

Long relief,  especially in a mop up situation is low pressure.  Whereas starting is usually high pressure.  At this stage of development,  Ubaldo needs a LOT  of coaching. He functions better in a low pressure situation while he makes the adjustments he needs to make. I have my doubts that the Orioles can be the team he needs. He most likely would do better with a rebuilding team whereas the Orioles are in the middle of an intense playoff chase.

I don't think the Orioles can afford to carry a pitcher who can only be used in mop up duty.  Ubaldo is not coming back next year, I'm inclined to give a chance to a pitcher who can be used when game is still in reach.  When 4 out of 5 starting pitchers regularly need to be pulled early, every reliever in the bullpen matters. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think the Orioles can afford to carry a pitcher who can only be used in mop up duty.  Ubaldo is not coming back next year, I'm inclined to give a chance to a pitcher who can be used when game is still in reach.  When 4 out of 5 starting pitchers regularly need to be pulled early, every reliever in the bullpen matters. 

I don't think that even a rebuilding team can carry a pitcher who can only do mop up duty for the rest of his future.  Such a pitcher might as well retire. I am discussing a pitcher whose development is at a point where he  temporarily needs low leverage situations in order to make necessary adjustments and receive coaching in order to move forward.  Such a pitcher needs a  rebuilding team and the Orioles aren't that team 

11 hours ago, Nevermore said:

Other than the one mistake (the hr), Ubaldo did quite well in a mop up role. As Frobby said, this kept the team from burning out valuable bullpen arms. Mopping.up isn't a very glamorous role, but it's needed.  And no  I am not ready to put Ubaldo back into the rotation.

And if the Oriole batters hadn't been striking out at a near-record pace and managed to score 6 runs off a pitcher who came in with a 7+ ERA, Ubaldo would have been in position for a W. Unless people think the transformation of the situation into a high-leverage one would have made him pitch poorly instead.

17 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And who would that be? 

• 2 weeks later...

o

21 OUTS: 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 3 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

UBALDJIMENEZ GARCIA  )))))) (vs. CARDINALS, 6/18)

IP:llllll 7 

H:.l.llll 4))l (2 Home Runs, 2 Singles)

R:lll.lll 2

BB:.llll4

SO:..ll 3

Pitches: l) 106 )(59 )Strikes, )47 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 6.25 

2017 WHIP: l) 1.500 )  63.33 IP (95 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  .263 )  65 for 247

PITCHES BY INNING

*****************l

19 ll(91 .Strikes, l10 llllBalls)

91 l.(71 llStrikes, lll21 .)Balls)

23 .)(11 llStrikes, l12 lllllBalls)

15 ..(11 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

12 lll(51 llStrikes, l. 7 ll..lBalls)

91 lll(51 llStrikes, lll41 lllBalls)

19 .)(11 lllStrikes, lll8 lllllBalls)

o

Archived