Orioles Beat those Yankees

weams

Even though the Yankees still have several players with ridiculous contracts, I'm finding them harder to hate, because for the most part, the players who tormented us all those years when we sucked are gone.    If you look back to the Yankee team that beat us in the playoffs in 2012, the only guys still on the Yankee roster are Brett Gardner, CC Sabathia and Adam Warren.    I still loathe the Yankee organization, but it's hard to attach that loathing to the players I'm watching.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even though the Yankees still have several players with ridiculous contracts, I'm finding them harder to hate, because for the most part, the players who tormented us all those years when we sucked are gone.    If you look back to the Yankee team that beat us in the playoffs in 2012, the only guys still on the Yankee roster are Brett Gardner, CC Sabathia and Adam Warren.    I still loathe the Yankee organization, but it's hard to attach that loathing to the players I'm watching.

The fans are still the same. And their stupid shirts.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

The fans are still the same. And their stupid shirts.

Yep.    I hope to never see another Yankee World Series team.    Their fans deserve a 100 year drought, but I'll settle for 50 since I'll probably be dead by then.    

A few thoughts not mentioned in the game summary:

- I really liked how Schoop immediately turned and gunned it to second when Bird didn't pick Headley's throw.   A moment's hesitation and he would have had to hold at first and the whole inning might have gone differently.  

- Bird isn't Tex out there on defense.    He should have picked that throw, and he also was very slow to react on Smith's double down the line in the first inning.   Not an error by any stretch, but I think a top quality 1B has a decent shot at stabbing that hit or at least getting a glove on it.  

- It's nice to see an Oriole who's asked to bunt actually execute it perfectly (thanks, JJ).    

- I'm glad Davis is making all the scoops, but we've bounced quite a few throws in situations where the throw shouldn't have been difficult.     I hope the infielders stop challenging Davis so much.  

- The O's have scored 9 of their 11 runs so far via the HR.    Even by their standards, that's extreme.   

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You'll have an easier time hating them in a couple years after their best young talent has blossomed and they are signing several 100 mil plus contracts to supplement their roster. 

It's tough to imagine them not signing one of Machado or Harper. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

You'll have an easier time hating them in a couple years after their best young talent has blossomed and they are signing several 100 mil plus contracts to supplement their roster. 

It's tough to imagine them not signing one of Machado or Harper. 

One of the reason I'm able to hate them now is the knowledge of what's coming.     And memories of what came before.    And Girardi, who I respect but loathe at the same time.    He's going to lefty-lefty matchups with two outs and nobody out in the sixth inning -- who does that?   No wonder their games take forever.  

That was a nice win. I don't give up but when Sanchez hit that home run, I was thinking that it just may not be our night. Way to rally. Props to the BP for holding down the fort.   I agree with Frobby about the Yankees. The Yankees have always been my most hated team in all sports for the most part but they're becoming harder to outright hate at this point. I guess in the sense you root for laundry, you always root against it but as far as division foes, the Yankees are behind the Jays and Sox at this point. It's also nice to see the new guys like Smith and Castillo contributing.

39 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

That was a nice win. I don't give up but when Sanchez hit that home run, I was thinking that it just may not be our night. Way to rally. Props to the BP for holding down the fort.   I agree with Frobby about the Yankees. The Yankees have always been my most hated team in all sports for the most part but they're becoming harder to outright hate at this point. I guess in the sense you root for laundry, you always root against it but as far as division foes, the Yankees are behind the Jays and Sox at this point. It's also nice to see the new guys like Smith and Castillo contributing.

Yes we haters gotta hate no matter what some hyprcites tell us!  ;-)

Been hating them from the mid 20th century.  Small lad up there in NYC with Yanks, Bums and my first black and orange crew - the Jints! (pronounced Jeyeunts).  Hated Mel Allen and his burping up Ballantine Ale on camera!  Hated the little Scooter (though he went to the same HS as my mother at Richmond Hill), hated the hegemony more than anything and the smug followers.  Girardi embodies that and emboldens that.  And ironically we should love him for that (as Frobby alluded to above).  For with each victory we engorge ourselves in his sullen misery.  (is that Poe, Dickens, the Bard I'm channelling?)

But that was a sweet victory with Chris Carter failing for final out, with Zach picking himself off the turf to seal his fate, with CD saving countless errant tosses, with Manny being Manny (he's becoming iconic with that floating grab of the wind-blown popup), with Schoopie, Beef framing, Brach blowing up big bats!  For three games we are the Champs, I tell ya!  (caffeine and muscle relaxers talking!)

As Chaucer once said,

": Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
2: The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
3: And bathed every veyne in swich licour
4: Of which vertu engendred is the flour;".

I'm drunk and ready to go on a Pilgrimmage for a WS win!

Amen

Gardner's still annoying... mostly b/c he always seems to rake against us. Lol.

As far as their "coming greatness"- I take a wait and see aporoach. Too many variables in sports (particularly MLB pitching, etc.) to just pencil in dynasties, etc. IMHO. That said- they will of course not be this vanilla for too long- so we should enjoy it while we can...

Archived