New 'What If?' on Teixeira

OrioleLochRaven

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have too many needs to spend that much on one player. I would rather take the 7/140 he would demand and put it into two offensive players and draft picks.

Aubrey Huff and Melvin Mora; and Chris Smith, Keith Reed, Beau Hale, Larry Bigbie, Brandon Snyder, Billy Rowell, Mark Smith, Alvie Shepherd...

Personally, I would rather have one great offensive player then two mediocre ones and a bunch of draft picks that could either not pan out or take several years to even touch the majors.

He'll be ~29 if he does start with the Orioles. I don't think I'd like the Orioles to commit that much money and time into someone like Tex.

Well who do you want at 1B? Delgado? Giambi? Millar? I'll take the All-Star 1B man please...

Tex is our best option. Money is not a problem, we are spending 28 million right now on Payton, Huff, Millar, Walker and Bradford. This team could easily afford Tex. This offense has no bat to put behind Markakis. Tex is a neccessity...

Well who do you want at 1B? Delgado? Giambi? Millar? I'll take the All-Star 1B man please...

Tex is our best option. Money is not a problem, we are spending 28 million right now on Payton, Huff, Millar, Walker and Bradford. This team could easily afford Tex. This offense has no bat to put behind Markakis. Tex is a neccessity...

Tex is a good option if the price is reasonable. If it is not then whether it be making a trade for a young bat or addressing the hole at 1b another way would be a better option. You are entirely correct that we could easily afford Tex but we cannot pretend that signing him would happen in a vacuum. Throwing caution and good sense to wind and giving him a monster contract is likely to make money a problem in the future. If we give Tex 20+% of the team's payroll resources we could easily end up in a scenario where we have to let go a an Adam Jones or Billy Rowell or whomever if they develop into a player worthy of a big contract.

I wouldn't mind Joey Votto or Loney.:laughlol:

Tex is a good option if the price is reasonable. If it is not then whether it be making a trade for a young bat or addressing the hole at 1b another way would be a better option. You are entirely correct that we could easily afford Tex but we cannot pretend that signing him would happen in a vacuum. Throwing caution and good sense to wind and giving him a monster contract is likely to make money a problem in the future. If we give Tex 20+% of the team's payroll resources we could easily end up in a scenario where we have to let go a an Adam Jones or Billy Rowell or whomever if they develop into a player worthy of a big contract.

So we can spend on him and use the savings in players to make quality trades for help at other positions, or we can bury the money in mason jars in the outfield at Camden Yards and have to spread out the trades and lower the quality of returns.

I'll take the chance that winning sooner rather then later will increase revenues and let us keep some of the younger guys.

So we can spend on him and use the savings in players to make quality trades for help at other positions, or we can bury the money in mason jars in the outfield at Camden Yards and have to spread out the trades and lower the quality of returns.

I'll take the chance that winning sooner rather then later will increase revenues and let us keep some of the younger guys.

In a best case scenario that would be ideal but we can't ignore the very real possibility that if we blow our payroll resources by vastly overpaying we may not win sooner and we may have to let go some of the younger guys due to payroll constraints.

A question that maybe you or anyone can answer that I have no idea about... How many teams are successful allocating 20+% of their payroll resources to one player? Maybe it isn't as risky as it seems to me, I honestly don't know.

Quite a few of us have a hunch that Tex wants to return home as much as we want him too.

I suppose only time will tell.

I hear ya and I think we have as good a chance as anyone else but I certainly wouldn't use the adjective shocked to describe my feelings if he chooses to go elsewhere.

I have heard that Teix is not on such good terms with his father. I wouldn't just assume that he wants to play here. I have also heard that he hasa great deal of respect for Boras. I would think that the money being equal he would want to play for a contender. Boston, NY or the Mets come to mind before the O's. :newcry:

Another issue that needs to be discussed is should the O's trade their surplus of pitching prospects for current MLB players. I'd be inclined to trade pitching prospects who aren't sure things for a young SP who has already established himself.

I say this, because according to Ken Rosenthal, the Royals may make Zach Greinke available in order to restock their thin minor league system. They definitely need pitching prospects, but they'll take best player available at #3 and won't take Matusz. So...Why not offer a package of Liz, Erbe, Spoone, Bascom and whatever else it needs to take to get Greinke.

Instead of hoping Liz, Erbe, Bascom, and Spoone materialize, why not get something guaranteed. Greinke would be our ace now and for years to come.

A rotation of (below) in 2010/2011 would definitely be good enough to match up with Boston or the MFY. All we really need to worry about is having Tillman and Arrieta reach their potential and that DCab doesn't revert back to his old self.

Greinke

Tillman

DCab

Arrieta

Guthrie

Olson/Penn/Hernandez/Bergeson/Renshaw

In a best case scenario that would be ideal but we can't ignore the very real possibility that if we blow our payroll resources by vastly overpaying we may not win sooner and we may have to let go some of the younger guys due to payroll constraints.

At some point, you have to take a risk. It can turn out good (Rafael Palmeiro) or bad (Albert Belle), but you have to do it eventually.

I would much rather take that chance on someone that brings as much as Teixeira then someone else who may be cheaper but isn't the same player.

A question that maybe you or anyone can answer that I have no idea about... How many teams are successful allocating 20+% of their payroll resources to one player? Maybe it isn't as risky as it seems to me, I honestly don't know.

I don't either, but I would bet most teams that do that you could look at and find flaws with how they built their team.

As an example, when the Rangers signed Rodriguez, their first year they didn't win because their best pitcher was Doug Davis. So they went out and signed Chan Ho Park, which put $29 million into two players in 2002, and $35 million in 2003, when one wasn't any good.

So, the problem there wasn't the one big signing, it was the panic signing that came later.

Archived