Orioles Acquire Paul Fry For Int’l Pool Slot, Designate Parker Bridwell

wildcard

On 4/14/2017 at 10:58 PM, El Gordo said:

All these pitchers I'm losing track. Where will they put them all? Closet space at Bowie?

They've gotten rid of a ton of pitchers in this time too:   Bridwell, McFarland, Okha, Drake, Gunkel

Taking all the pitching related moves as a whole (keeping in mind that there are cash and PTBNL transactions going both ways that we can't quantify):

-- It seems they have improved the quality of pitching depth in the organization

-- but whether that improved depth will help us at the major league level remains to be seen.   Asher gave us a good start

-- and of course they've given up some international signing slots.   You can either rage at the stupidity of their policy of not investing in international players, or shrug your shoulders and say they weren't going to use them anyway so it doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks, I found it an informative piece.

Yep, although any time Ken Rosenthal writes a piece about the Orioles organization, you have to assume that it will be slanted towards pointing out dysfunction that starts from the top.   That's his baseline point of view.

I'm NOT saying dysfunction isn't there or that he isn't 100%.   But it's like if FoxNews is critical of a Democrat... their criticism may very well be 100% valid and true, but you also know that is the point of view they are going to take.   If Facts A, B, and D make the target of the article look bad, and Fact C makes them look good, you can be pretty sure that the article will concentrate on Facts A, B, and D and ignore or minimize Fact C.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Thanks, I found it an informative piece.

This is what gets me from the national media. They criticize the organization for this when it is out if the top baseball decision makers hands. Meanwhile Brian Cashman gets praised for getting Hal Steinbrenner to decide to go young. He gets praised for acquiring young talent. How many GM's can sign the Andrew Miller's of the world and also give Beltran a 3 year deal?  He flips them and he is a genius. He also acquired Chapman on the cheap because of the domestic violence charge and flips him. No team in baseball has a bigger built in adavatange as them. This is Cashman's 20th year and they finally have young talent. That franchise has not developed one above average starter since Petitte. 

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is what gets me from the national media. They criticize the organization for this when it is out if the top baseball decision makers hands. Meanwhile Brian Cashman gets praised for getting Hal Steinbrenner to decide to go young. He gets praised for acquiring young talent. How many GM's can sign the Andrew Miller's of the world and also give Beltran a 3 year deal?  He flips them and he is a genius. He also acquired Chapman on the cheap because of the domestic violence charge and flips him. No team in baseball has a bigger built in adavatange as them. This is Cashman's 20th year and they finally have young talent. That franchise has not developed one above average starter since Petitte. 

He got what appears to be a huge return on those trades.  As for Chapman, another team could have taken advantage of the depressed market and they didn't.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He got what appears to be a huge return on those trades.  As for Chapman, another team could have taken advantage of the depressed market and they didn't.

He did get good returns but most teams could not have signed either one of them. Many teams would not have touched Chapman. I think if Theo and Cahsman weren't the 2 GM's involved, the Chapman moves would have been viewed much harsher. 

• 1 year later...

o

Fry only threw 2 pitches tonight, but it was in a crucial situation (the bases were loaded with 2 outs, and the Orioles were trailing by one run.)

He has 2 outings in the Majors so far this season, previously pitching 1.67 shutout innings in a 7-1 loss to the Angels on Friday.

1 OUT: ) 1 Groundout

PAUL RAYMOND FRY )))))))) (vs. PHILLIES, 7/03)

IP:ll0.33 

H:llll0 ll 

R:llll 0

BB:ll

SO:ll0

Pitches: l)  2 l)(2 )Strikes, ))Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 0.00  )  2.00 IP  (0 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.000  )  2.00 IP  (2 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: )l .286  )  (2 for 7)

PITCHES BY INNING

2 ll(2 .Strikes, lll.Balls) ) *

* )) Fry recorded 1 out upon entering the game in the 7th inning.

o

o

7 Up, 7 Down.

86% of the outs that Fry recorded (6 out of 7) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

7 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Lineout

PAUL RAYMOND FRY )))))))) (vs. TWINS, 7/06)

IP:l.2.33 ) * 

H:llll0 ll 

R:llll 0

BB:ll

SO:ll4

Pitches: l)  23 l)(17 )Strikes, ))Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 0.00  )  4.33 IP  (0 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 0.462  )  4.33 IP  (2 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVERAGE: )l .143  )  (2 for 14)

* )) Fry entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd Base with 1 out, in the 4th inning.

PITCHES BY INNING

61 ll(4 lllStrikes, llllllBalls) ) **

12 lll(8 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

51 lll(5 llllStrikes, llllllBalls) ) ***

*** llll Fry recorded 1 out upon entering the game in the 4th inning.

*** llll Fry recorded 2 outs before leaving the game in the 6th inning.

o

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Fry is doing what he did in Bowie the last 2 seasons and Norfolk. I was high on him but couldn't pinpoint what exactly he was doing to get people out.

Either way, very happy to see him succeeding like this.

He looks kind of like a Darren O'day who actually has good velocity.

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Fry is doing what he did in Bowie the last 2 seasons and Norfolk. I was high on him but couldn't pinpoint what exactly he was doing to get people out.

Either way, very happy to see him succeeding like this.

Our "rebuild" is progressing nicely!    (scOtt, Meisinger, Ramirez, Fry.........Wilkerson)  ⚾

Love me some SSS!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, amdcpus said:

He looks kind of like a Darren O'day who actually has good velocity.

Yep. But when I saw him in Bowie both late last year and early this year, he had decent velocity but it wasn't "overpowering." He was more "pitch to contact."

Not sure what change was made in Norfolk or since coming up, but his velocity is up a little and all his pitches have a bit more life.

Could also be the ball (no joke.)