Orioles Acquire Paul Fry For Int’l Pool Slot, Designate Parker Bridwell

wildcard

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(JULY 13th)

In 7 outings so far this season, Fry has thrown .......

99 Pitches (74 Strikes, 23 Balls)

76% )of his pitches have been for Strikes.

o

Has he "ceded" any earned runs?  #richmansdonniehart ?

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. D-RAYS, 8/07)

Fry inherited a mess tonight, and pitched as well as one could have asked.

He came in with the bases loaded and nobody out, and the Orioles clinging to a 3-2 lead that looked like it would surely go down the drain.

He immediately induced a double play groundout (which allowed the tying run to score), and then struck out Kevin Kiermaier to (almost amazingly) keep the game tied at 3. 

He then struck out the first 2 batters in the following inning ........ giving him 5 recorded outs while facing only 4 batters !!!  ) O.o

o

7 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Been a big fan of his since they acquired him and he came to Bowie last season.

You have been and props to you. I saw him a couple of times when he was first acquired and was less than impressed, but his slider has really improved from what I saw and his fastball command has improved while gaining a tick or two.

I think he's got a real chance of being a piece out in the pen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Yepper and as Buck might intone, "He ain't afraid!"  He's no small Fry!  

Kidding aside, Fry > Hart FWIW (SSS)  

Fry's stuff is much better than Hart and he certainly has a much better fastball. Hart sits 87-89 while Fry sits 91-93. Hart was effective when he was commanding his good left-on left slider but he lost that consistent command of the pitch and that's when his ability get batters out consistently left as well.

Fry may not be a stud out there (he was last night until he almost gave up the game winning home run), but his slider has improved enough for him to have some success.  

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Yepper and as Buck might intone, "He ain't afraid!"  He's no small Fry!  

Kidding aside, Fry > Hart FWIW (SSS)  

I don't think it's close.   Fry's stuff is nasty.   Hart is one of those guys that needs to be perfect with his location.  Fry has enough zip on the fastball that he can get away with a mistake or two.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You have been and props to you. I saw him a couple of times when he was first acquired and was less than impressed, but his slider has really improved from what I saw and his fastball command has improved while gaining a tick or two.

I think he's got a real chance of being a piece out in the pen.

Thanks.

You're right about his improvement. In Bowie, nothing stuck out to me, but he just kept getting outs. Mainly contact outs, but outs none the less.

He just comes in and gets out. The stats are good too. He seems pretty polished. We don’t have many leads late but it looks like the new “A” squad of the pen is,

SU: Fry

SU: Castro/Wright

CL: Givens

I’m pretty sure we’ve DFAd Fry before and kept him. Just goes to show you that top prospect lists aren’t the best of predictors, especially for relievers. Scott might be our 4th best LH option next year.  With Bleier, Fry, Luis Gonzalez ahead of him. 

• 3 weeks later...