CTBNL | Orioles self-inflicted weakness deserves to be addressed

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, that guy is salty.

As a fan, it annoys me that the Orioles don't spend more on July 2 every year.  It's inexcusable that they don't spend more internationally, but it's not because of some immoral reasons like this guy is trying to spin it.  The owner just doesn't like giving 16 year old kids millions of dollars.  The Orioles don't have any fewer international players on their 40 man than most other teams.  There was a thread where someone posted that the Blue Jays and Sox have 10 and we have 9.  The O's just choose to pick up other team's scraps through the Rule V draft and these "cash considerations" deals.  That's our way of finding international players, unfortunately.  This guy is just looking for controversy.

I think he confuses DR players for all Latin American players. And the explanation is clear as Dan told Rosenthal. It's an ownwership policy. PA has an aversion to the Buscone system in the DR and elswhere and doesn't want to participate in the explotation of poor young players. He also had a relationship with Castro and was reluctant to sign Cuban exiles..

36 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Damn, that guy is salty.

As a fan, it annoys me that the Orioles don't spend more on July 2 every year.  It's inexcusable that they don't spend more internationally, but it's not because of some immoral reasons like this guy is trying to spin it.  The owner just doesn't like giving 16 year old kids millions of dollars.  The Orioles don't have any fewer international players on their 40 man than most other teams.  There was a thread where someone posted that the Blue Jays and Sox have 10 and we have 9.  The O's just choose to pick up other team's scraps through the Rule V draft and these "cash considerations" deals.  That's our way of finding international players, unfortunately.  This guy is just looking for controversy.

What bugs me is the shoddy research.

Their first venture into the new market of Cuban players, Dariel Alvarez, was a weird flier that has worked out very badly.

That is factually incorrect and I expect better from professionals.

And of course the idea that the commissioner needs to get involved is laughable.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Damn, that guy is salty.

As I posted on that thread, and commented on the article - 

Among active players…

Jonathan Schoop is the only Oriole that was acquired as an amateur free agent.

Luis Severino and Gary Sanchez are the only Yankees that were acquired as amateur free agents.

Alex Colome is the only Rays player acquired as an amateur free agent.

Xander Bogaerts is the only Red Sox player acquired as an amateur free agent.

The Blue Jays have no players acquired as amateur free agents (although Roberto Osuna was acquired at 16 from the Mexican League).

So the O’s are right on par with the rest of their division.

And spending a lot less money.

I'm just glad they are trading the international bonus slots if they aren't going to spend. I hope MLB is able to clean up the buscone system down there. It is terribly exploitative for the players.

Klentak also spoke about international scouting and specifically the Orioles' decision to not be one of the major players internationally. Klentak echoed the sentiments previously voiced by President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail when he said that historically speaking, investments in the international market aren't as sound as domestic investments, and while the team has increased its resources for the international market the past couple years, they are not and probably will not be one of the biggest spenders internationally.

Klentak then went a step further, telling us that last year the Orioles brought someone in for the specific task of analyzing the return on investment for international signings and based on the results, it was determined that it wasn't high enough to to warrant a bigger investment than they are giving it (he understandably declined to give details on the study). The Orioles have to be mindful of their resource allocation and while the domestic front is also risky, it's easier to know their true talent level. Players in international markets have agents that protect them so fiercely that it can be difficult to see them play in enough game situations to accurately assess their talent.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2011/5/11/2165462/q-a-with-matt-klentak-orioles-director-baseball-operations

There's your explanation, from 2011.   Buy it or don't.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep, that all makes sense. And it is much more rational than the heavy handed implication that the Orioles hate Latino players and that Rob Manfred should be getting involved. 

The Orioles may well be wrong in their assessment, but the pearl clutching statement that "[t]here is no such defense for a scouting “strategy” that largely eschews an entire region" is absurd.

26 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I only made it up.   I wouldn't bother clicking on that drivel if it's implying that Angelos, or anyone else in the organization, has something against Latino players.

That's what's he's dancing around trying to insinuate. And I agree it has nothing to do with being Latino players. This kind of drivel can explode these days and this blowhard is trying to fuel it.

You know what buscón means in Spanish?

buscón
Noun
1. (estafador) 
a. swindler 

buscónona buscona
adjective
(deshonesto) thieving; crooked
(ladronzuelo) petty thief; rogue

Archived