Sickels mock draft. Who does he have us taking?

Here is my pseudo-prediction for the first round of the draft. I'm trying to find the right balance between known team interest in these players, past organizational philosophy, and both best-player-avaialble and team needs. I'll push this to the supplemental round and see how things to.

1) Rays: Tim Beckham, SS, Georgia HS: Seems like the most logical pick to me.

2) Pirates: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt: Pirates prove they are willing to spend $$.

3) Royals: Buster Posey, C, Florida State: Royals opt for close-to-ready bat.

4) Orioles: Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego: Can't pass him up.

5) Giants: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina: Excellent bat, close to ready.

6) Marlins: Kyle Skipworth, C, California HS: The rumors make sense to me.

7) Reds: Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri: Best player available.

8) White Sox: Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia: System thin on hitting could use him.

9) Nationals: Aaron Hicks, RHP, California HS: Nats decide he's a pitcher.

10) Astros: Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky: Astros opt for "safe" college pitcher.

11) Rangers: Eric Hosmer, 1B, Florida HS: Rangers shell out big bucks.

12) Athletics: Brett Wallace, 3B, Arizona State: Classic Oakland pick.

13) Cardinals: Tim Melville, RHP, Missouri HS: Cards opt for high-quality local talent.

14) Twins: Brett Lawrie, INF, Canada HS: Twins pick cold-weather bat, hoping for another Morneau and worried that he won't last to 27..

15) Dodgers: Ethan Martin, RHP, Georgia HS: Best high school pitcher still on board tempts Dodgers; he fits their mold.

16) Brewers: Josh Fields, RHP, Georgia: Should help in the majors quickly.

17) Blue Jays: Yonder Alonso, 1B, Miami: Would be a steal at this slot and I think he's got a good chance to fall here.

18) Mets: Jason Castro, C, Stanford: Should reach the majors quickly, solid all-around.

19) Cubs: Casey Kelly, SS, Florida HS: Cubs will pay the premium.

20) Mariners: Anthony Hewitt, INF, Connecticut HS: Mariners can't resist his tools.

21) Tigers: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane: Tigers feel they receive a steal here.

22) Mets: Andrew Cashner, RHP, TCU: Mets opt for another safe, affordable pick to pair with Castro.

23) Padres: Ryan Perry, RHP, Arizona: Will get a chance to start but ends up in bullpen eventually.

24) Phillies: Zach Collier, OF, California HS: He's toolsy like the Phils like, and not quite as raw as some they have drafted in the past.

25) Rockies: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Illinois HS: Rockies have a known interest in him.

26) Diamondbacks: Gerrit Cole, RHP, California HS: Arizona can't resist his arm strength at this slot.

27) Twins: Conor Gillaspie, 3B, Wichita State: Twins opt for gritty midwest option to help third base situation.

28) Yankees: Brett Devall, LHP, Florida HS: Money not an object, Yanks take projectable lefty.

29) Indians: Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent State: Sneaks into first round on arm strength and affordability.

30) Red Sox: Reese Havens, SS, South Carolina: Fits their philosophy well and they are known to love him.

Matusz.

Seems like most of the experts have us picking Matusz. I guess I'll be surprised if we don't. I'd rather have Smoak under this scenario but what can you do but hope the O's are right with whoever they select.

Yeah, I'd rather have Smoak, too.

Maybe we're hoping for Dykstra in Round 2...?

I'm going to be a little disappointed if we draft Matusz over Smoak, but not extremely so.

If Matusz was a sure-fire #1 starter (a la Price last year), I wouldn't have an issue with taking him. It seems to me that the guy is more along the lines of a #2 or #3...and I think we have enough of those in our system now. I'd rather go with a big stick.

Archived